News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Re: George Peper's 10 Favorite Links
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 09:08:03 AM »
David Tepper, As I said, his justifications are understandable. But by no means are those justifications close to what any sportsman should espouse.  They are deeply rooted in what we'll call the American mindset. Apparently based in some notion of "fairness" which directly conflict with certain core principles, such as random rubs of the green, or some awkward stance, due to varying grades of terrain.

I'm not sure journalists should ever create a "my" list. Much too personal to be considered journalism. Perhaps Mr. Peper doesn't define himself as a true journalist?  

From Shaq's site. I wonder if he's calling out the Links editor? 
"I call Hoylake a rotten course. There are no bunkers to get over; the fellow I was playing topped all his tee-shots and never got into trouble." Such is a verdict often heard after a first visit to Hoylake. The critic shoiuld then further be asked his opinion of St. Andrews, and it will generally be found that he classes St. Andrews and Hoylake together as the two worst courses he has ever seen. He may forthwith be treated with silent contempt, and his opinions may be ignored. He has effectually written himself down an ass. BERNARD DARWIN
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:11:55 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
"But by no means are those justifications close to what any sportsman should espouse."

Adam C. -

Are you saying you have a better understanding of what a "sportsman should espouse" than Jack Nicklaus?

DT

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »
Noordwijkse is the biggest surprise to me. At first I thought he likes difficult courses, but then what about Castle Stuart and TOC?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 03:27:42 PM »
Noordwijkse is the biggest surprise to me. At first I thought he likes difficult courses, but then what about Castle Stuart and TOC?

Ulrich

Ulrich,

I would imagine it could be that he likes interesting and challenging courses some of which are tough and some of which are easy. Whilst I do not agree with his comments on the English links I do respect his list as his favourite ones.

Jon

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »
Yeah obviously, but aren't you looking for patterns in such a list? I think there's a pattern to my favorite courses, but how could you have Cruden Bay in your list, but not any other of the stalwarts of quirk such as North Berwick?

Of course, "favourite" can also mean that it's not just the course itself, but also some personal memories or even golfing achievements connected to it. In that case I wouldn't publish the list though, since no reader is bound to be able to relate to it.

Ulrich

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2014, 04:19:43 PM »
Ulrich,

I think your last paragraph is probably the most obvious reason though it could be he sees things he likes in varying qualities a course has to offer.

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »

Ulrich

Ulrich,

I would imagine it could be that he likes interesting and challenging courses some of which are tough and some of which are easy. Whilst I do not agree with his comments on the English links I do respect his list as his favourite ones.

Jon

I think he just likes a nice view  ::)

Interesting he was willing to admit his own contradiction in not picking Dornoch because of the hike up to 7 but picking Cruden Bay for the panoramic views from 10.

Niall

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »
There are no sea views at Noordwijkse and parts of it is even in a pine forest. And it is a very tough walk. So allow me to doubt your theory :)

BTW, not wanting to knock on Noordwijkse, it's a cracking course and I'd return any day. But to make the Top Ten of 246 links courses you'd expect perfection.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:16:37 PM by Ulrich Mayring »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »

P.S. Jack Nicklaus is not a fan of Royal St. Georges either. May he does not "get it" as well. ;)

Maybe if Jack Nicklaus "got it" he would have more original designs in the top 100 lists. It's not like he hasn't done a lot of designs.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back