News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: Old Town Club profile is posted ...
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 08:16:14 PM »
thank you everyone, looks fantastic
It's all about the golf!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »
Looking back at the unofficial GCA rankings Ian Andrews compiled several years ago, Old Town did not make the top 100.  I wonder if the reno might change that?

Jay Flemma

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »
No question, Jim!  I think it'll break top 50, but that's my NSHO:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Dunlop_White

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 10:38:05 AM »
This is a old look at Hole 17 too.

Look at the narrow, striped fairways, the cart path, the mass of trees growing out of the creek beds on the right, the bunker renewal, and the blind green.The restoration work here was transformative in look, feel and strategic playability.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:47:02 PM by Dunlop_White »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 06:58:55 AM »
Fabulous thread, pictures, and overall renovation. Congratulations Dunlop.

Jeremy Rudock

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 12:10:45 PM »
Fantastic profile Ran!

I've been fortunate to play the club multiple times before and after the renovation, and I agree that the transformation is amazing.  I don't know that I've ever seen a course changed such that it is harder to play from the back tees, yet actually become more fun at the same time. 

In terms of overall difficulty, I think the tips are now 2-3 shots harder.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 02:23:24 PM »
A guy who said he played baseball at Wake Forest, I think in the early 70's, claimed that students could play Old Town for 50 cents.  Maybe it was just athletes?
Anyway, those days are gone, but thanks to Dunlop White, Old Town is looking great.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Dunlop_White

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »
A guy who said he played baseball at Wake Forest, I think in the early 70's, claimed that students could play Old Town for 50 cents.  Maybe it was just athletes?
Anyway, those days are gone, but thanks to Dunlop White, Old Town is looking great.

Lynn -- (good memory!) yes, it was 50 cents for all students, including Bill Coore, as he only played on the golf team for a year. Bill used to walk 500 yards from his dorm -- bag in tow -- skirt the fence and started all his rounds on No. 12 tee. After no. 18, his seventh hole, he would check in as a student at the Pro Shop. The arrangement for the students was discontinued in 1968, but Old Town has remained the home course for WFU golf ever since.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 06:56:55 AM »
The first time I played OTC was during law school at WFU (1979 or 1980) and the student guest fee was $2!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 07:51:15 AM »
Men, you're breaking my heart. To the best of my knowledge, by 1983, there was no student access.

(Commence pity party.)
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jeremy Rudock

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »
Men, you're breaking my heart. To the best of my knowledge, by 1983, there was no student access.

(Commence pity party.)

By 1996....awwww, forget it.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »

(Commence pity party.)

"."

World's smallest violin playing just for you, Sad Sack:):) ;D ;D
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 02:40:49 PM »
I was at Wake '76-'80.
Start playing for me as well. 

Edward Moody

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »
I happened to make two trips from Austin to W-S last year, once in March and once in September.  I was there for meetings and I told a colleague that lives there how much I was interested in Old Town because I had been talking to Crenshaw about the work they were doing there.  In March we hopped on a buggy and toured the course while it was still under construction.  Then when I came back in September we played it.  WOW.  I had only seen pictures of the course before the work began, but I could def appreciate the difference.  The look was so cool and as Ben notes in that video clip, the palette is what makes it rock.  C&C's emphasis on bunkers was evident to me because every time Ben and I discussed the work all he every said was "oh, you know, we did a little bunker work".  It was all he ever wanted to talk about.

OTC is a gem: a club with a fantastic course and great membership.  Can't wait to get back and play it.

Funny side note, in Feherty's interview with Wadkins, the story came up that Lanny couldn't find the library at Wake and his response was "of course I knew where it was, you aimed at it on the 8th tee at OTC!".  I texted a friend who played golf at Wake and he said, that is correct!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »
And my article on the course is done too.  http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=5963

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2014, 03:51:04 PM »

(Commence pity party.)

There wasn't student access in 1979 or 80 either. A classmate's father was a member. Otherwise I would have been there every day and never finished!

Dunlop_White

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
Tom -- I have original letters from the club withdrawing this privilege for students and facility in 1968. I'll double check.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 08:10:34 AM »
And my article on the course is done too.  http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=5963

This is a well-written piece. I encourage everyone to read it.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 05:06:05 PM »
Thank you, Ron.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 01:19:01 PM »
Look our for Jay Flemma's interview of Chris Clouser, Perry Maxwell historian, on "Golf News Network" about how Old Town now stacks up with Maxwell's best -- following their C & C restoration.

Also look out for Larry Lambrecht's photo shoot of the restoration.(Coming soon)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:33:43 AM by Dunlop_White »

Sean Leary

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
Wow. Amazing how much of Prairie Dunes I see in the pics. Need to get there some day.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »
Simply spectacular. Congratulations Dunlop.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »
My god. The place looks incredible - Old Town is moving quickly up my must play list.

Great photos. Thanks for posting.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Dunlop_White

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 01:50:20 PM »
Brian Sheehy and Bruce Wellmon -- Thanks for the kind notes, and please come see us again as we are making improvements constantly. Though the spadework has been completed, Coore and I have agreed on a punch list of in-house items to accomplish in the short term, mainly tree limbing and removal, and the expansion of fairways, tees, and native areas. You'll love it, I think!

Cory Lewis

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
I was finally able to bring my wife up to play Old Town yesterday and I came away even more impressed than before.  My wife has a 28 handicap and yet she was able to play and fully enjoy Old Town.  None of the holes were overwhelming for her, which was my fear because some of them can be overwhelming for me!  The placement of the forward tees is done perfectly so that higher handicap players can fully enjoy the architecture without sacrificing playability.

I see Old Town only getting better with age.  Truly a remarkable golf course.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back