News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Bacsanyi

Re: Did I hear Peter Alliss right...
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
I resorted to poaching the BBC feed on my computer rather than watching ESPN.  Wow, what a difference.  No commercials.  The occasional silence.  Peter Alliss.  Better camera work.  There simply was no comparison.  If BBC coverage was a golfer it would be Rory McIlroy.  If ESPN's coverage were a golfer it would be Kevin Na.  I was especially impressed with the Irishwoman's commentary as she followed Sergio/DJ.  "Johnson has a 9 but in my opinion he would do better with a wee 8...."  "There's quite a commotion as the crowd is crossing the fifth through the bunkers and over the green.  It really is quite dis-grace-ful..."  "A bit of drama here on 14 as Sergio has gone under the rope into the gallery accompanied by a marshal..."
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2014, 04:33:08 PM »
I resorted to poaching the BBC feed on my computer rather than watching ESPN.  Wow, what a difference.  No commercials.  The occasional silence.  Peter Alliss.  Better camera work.  There simply was no comparison.  If BBC coverage was a golfer it would be Rory McIlroy.  If ESPN's coverage were a golfer it would be Kevin Na.  I was especially impressed with the Irishwoman's commentary as she followed Sergio/DJ.  "Johnson has a 9 but in my opinion he would do better with a wee 8...."  "There's quite a commotion as the crowd is crossing the fifth through the bunkers and over the green.  It really is quite dis-grace-ful..."  "A bit of drama here on 14 as Sergio has gone under the rope into the gallery accompanied by a marshal..."

Maureen Madilll is great. Personally I'd promote her to the commentary box.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
Aliss is very, very humorous.  He constantly comes up with little jabs.  Its hard to imagine who could possibly fill his airtime, but I do get the impression he is getting less and less time.  I agree with Adam. I think Madill needs a go in the box. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
The BBC's franchise for covering the Open comes up for renewal in the near future. Peter Dawson alluded to the possibility of another broadcaster buying the rights. What might the effects be?

David_Tepper

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
Mark R. -

Geoff Shackleford's website discussed the possibility of Sky Sports getting the broadcast rights this last week:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2014/7/16/rupert-sky-looking-to-push-bbc-59-years-out-of-the-open.html

DT
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:51:30 PM by David_Tepper »

Ben Attwood

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »
I do enjoy P. Allis although I actually enjoy the bbc 5live radio commentary even more. They are brilliant. It actually timed very well with the TV on the final day so I watched the TV whilst listening to the radio. Recommended.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2014, 01:57:24 PM »
I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few guys on tour that couldn't name one member of the Dave Matthews band.  Nothing new to see here, no one has ever accused them of being rocket scientists.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, wild guess, Dave Mathews?

Garland--
Ummmmmm, I don't think you quite got all of the humor in Sven's post.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, maybe you didn't get mine.

I definitely didn't.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »
One thing that has been discussed on other threads has been the difficulty golf has had recently finding new people. Back in the 80s there were at least 6 tournaments on the free view channels plus 'A round with Alliss. Someone with a passing interest could watch and maybe get more motivated to start playing. I started due to watching the 1974 Open aged 5 when I was confined indoors with Mumps. Had it not been for this encounter with the Open on the BBC I doubt I would have ever started playing.

If the R&A decide to sell to a higher bidder such as Sky it will mean ONLY established golfers will see the game on TV. How does that fit in with the R&A's desire to grow the game?

Jon

Rich Goodale

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »
I predict that this was Peter Allis' last Open in the big chair.  He made more bloopers over the past 4-days than Henry Longhurst made in his lifetime, and he never had Henry's way with words. For example, when climbing up to the TV tower after having downed several large G&T's, and was asked if he was OK:

"I just hope that they have not paired Hunt and Coles today."

Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
Watching the Masters and The Open is just about all I get to see.  However increasingly people who watch Sky argue that thier coverage is much superior to the BBC.   No matter what one thinks of Alliss (I love him), the BBC coverage of these events seems tired to me.

Jon I agree withyour thoughts about retaining the biggest audience but it seems to me that the BBC have lost the hardcore audience and that one has to admire Sky for ding thier job rather well.  For me it's all a bit ominous.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2014, 03:55:12 PM »
I suspect Dawson is firing a shot across the BBC's bows to get them to make a higher offer. I would be very surprised if the R&A were prepared to see the Open go to pay TV.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

BCrosby

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2014, 03:56:09 PM »
I predict that this was Peter Allis' last Open in the big chair.  He made more bloopers over the past 4-days than Henry Longhurst made in his lifetime, and he never had Henry's way with words. For example, when climbing up to the TV tower after having downed several large G&T's, and was asked if he was OK:

"I just hope that they have not paired Hunt and Coles today."

Brilliant. Can I assume HL was terminated soon afterwards?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »
Watching the Masters and The Open is just about all I get to see.  However increasingly people who watch Sky argue that thier coverage is much superior to the BBC.   No matter what one thinks of Alliss (I love him), the BBC coverage of these events seems tired to me.

Jon I agree withyour thoughts about retaining the biggest audience but it seems to me that the BBC have lost the hardcore audience and that one has to admire Sky for ding thier job rather well.  For me it's all a bit ominous.

I find the BBC coverage anything but tired. The silences, the lack of commercial breaks, the camera pans across the beach and the commentary on day to day club golf are part of a viewing experience and represent lazy, summer days. The beeb is like the traditional game whereas Sky is like the modern one: endless stats and numbers, noise, commercials and uninteresting analysis.

I have Sky Sports at home yet I only really watch The Open properly anymore. Just like I gave up on cricket when it left terrestrial.

Jud_T

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »
Ally,

Right on.  If I have to listen to Zinger try to oversell the drama one more time, or Strange say ANYTHING at all ever again, I may harm myself.  The BBC coverage is so head and shoulders superior to these clowns that it's an embarrassment to all that is American.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back