News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Re: Did I hear Peter Alliss right...
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »
He must be damn near 90 by now. And I hear he cant get about much.  Must wheel him in and postion a bottle of gin close to hand.

I do however echo his thoughts, Links golf has its place, but not every weekend

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »
He must be damn near 90 by now. And I hear he cant get about much.  Must wheel him in and postion a bottle of gin close to hand.

I think he's 83, thought he said he played in the 47 Open when he was 16.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2014, 09:51:07 PM »
Oft repeated.  I’m sure I’ve shared it here before, but my favorite and sworn to be true.  Henry Longhurst and Peter Alliss watching a broadcast on two small monitors during a ladies event:  one showing a flyover or general view of the entire hole, one showing a lady putting and picking her ball out of the hole.  Apparently, they had no idea which monitor was being used as the live feed.  While the feed was showing the shot of the lady putting and picking up her ball out of the hole, Longhurst and Alliss were thinking the feed was about the flyover.

Diaglog:
Alliss:  “Lovely hole.”
Longhurst:  “Yes, but it was quite a bit tighter in my day.”

Broadcast feed:  Lady bending over, shot from behind, picking the ball out of the hole.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 09:59:04 PM »
During the rebroadcast of Trevino's win in 72, you can hear either Jacklin or Trevino (I can't recall which one said it) on camera asking "what did Longhurst have to say about that?"

A great shout out to the marriage between great sportsmanship and great commentating.  Alas, a bygone era.  Alliss is the last vestige of those days.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Paul Gray

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 08:04:23 AM »
OT admittedly but, for the benefit of our non British contingent, a very famous quote from a snooker commentator:

For those of you watching in black and white, the pink ball is just behind the green.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »
Oft repeated.  I’m sure I’ve shared it here before, but my favorite and sworn to be true.  Henry Longhurst and Peter Alliss watching a broadcast on two small monitors during a ladies event:  one showing a flyover or general view of the entire hole, one showing a lady putting and picking her ball out of the hole.  Apparently, they had no idea which monitor was being used as the live feed.  While the feed was showing the shot of the lady putting and picking up her ball out of the hole, Longhurst and Alliss were thinking the feed was about the flyover.

Diaglog:

Broadcast feed:  Lady bending over, shot from behind, picking the ball out of the hole.

Sadly I fear this is apocryphal. There was no ladies golf on UK TV when I was a kid in the 1970s; it's hard for me to believe there was any earlier.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 10:56:39 AM »
Why would Bubba Watson be able to name the Beatles. Do you think a young fellow from some hick town in the deep south listens to classic 60's British Invasion pop music?

He probably doesn't know who Miles Davis or Carole King are either.

Correct, I wonder if the interviewer could name the Sex Pistols or Boyzone or JLS.

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
I love Aliss' dulcet tones and some of his anecdotes.  Must be a great guy to have a few, or many, drinks with; but I hate when GB&I guys dis links golf.  Seems unpatriotic.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Paul Gray

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 01:16:33 PM »
I love Aliss' dulcet tones and some of his anecdotes.  Must be a great guy to have a few, or many, drinks with; but I hate when GB&I guys dis links golf.  Seems unpatriotic.

Without wishing to open a whole can of worms, a fail to see why looking beyond ones' own tribe is such a bad thing.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Michael Blake

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
Why would Bubba Watson be able to name the Beatles. Do you think a young fellow from some hick town in the deep south listens to classic 60's British Invasion pop music?

I assumed a 35 year old adult from a modern civilized country, regardless of which state he's from, would be able to name at least one Beatle-even if he never listened to, as you refer to as, '60's British Invasion pop music.'

I guess my expectations were way too high.  

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few guys on tour that couldn't name one member of the Dave Matthews band.  Nothing new to see here, no one has ever accused them of being rocket scientists.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Brent Hutto

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »

I assumed a 35 year old adult from a modern civilized country, regardless of which state he's from, would be able to name at least one Beatle-even if he never listened to, as you refer to as, '60's British Invasion pop music.'

That's not "high expectations". It's expectiing that people from a different age cohort and socioeconomic background than yourself share your taste in pop cultural ephemera.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:29:49 PM by Brent Hutto »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
I'd be willing to bet there are quite a few guys on tour that couldn't name one member of the Dave Matthews band.  Nothing new to see here, no one has ever accused them of being rocket scientists.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, wild guess, Dave Mathews?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Carl Nichols

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »

Garland--
Ummmmmm, I don't think you quite got all of the humor in Sven's post.

Andy Levett

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
Oft repeated.  I’m sure I’ve shared it here before, but my favorite and sworn to be true.  Henry Longhurst and Peter Alliss watching a broadcast on two small monitors during a ladies event:  one showing a flyover or general view of the entire hole, one showing a lady putting and picking her ball out of the hole.  Apparently, they had no idea which monitor was being used as the live feed.  While the feed was showing the shot of the lady putting and picking up her ball out of the hole, Longhurst and Alliss were thinking the feed was about the flyover.

Diaglog:
Alliss:  “Lovely hole.”
Longhurst:  “Yes, but it was quite a bit tighter in my day.”

Broadcast feed:  Lady bending over, shot from behind, picking the ball out of the hole.

Sadly I fear this is apocryphal. There was no ladies golf on UK TV when I was a kid in the 1970s; it's hard for me to believe there was any earlier.

Too good a story to give up on.
 I clearly remember seeing women's golf at Sunningdale on the BBC when I was a teenager in the 70s, particularly Sally Little, Jan Stephenson and Laura Baugh.
 I didn't remember it was the Colgate European Open, but Google did, confirming the event was held there from 74 to 79.  
Henry Longhurst died in July 1978 but I remember him as well, I think he worked for the Beeb until quite close to the end.

As for Alliss, I always liked the way he never became a grumpy old man, until, quite suddenly a few years ago, he did. Perhaps he realised this, or listened to those who pointed it out to him, or is in a better place, because the empathy and humour Brian refers to are back. May he enjoy a 'long finish'.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2014, 04:44:36 PM »

Garland--
Ummmmmm, I don't think you quite got all of the humor in Sven's post.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, maybe you didn't get mine.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Paul Gray

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2014, 04:58:37 PM »

That's not "high expectations". It's expectiing that people from a different age cohort and socioeconomic background than yourself share your taste in pop cultural ephemera.

I'm a 37 year old Brit. I'm not so big on rock and roll. I've heard of Elvis.

Michael Blake

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »

When I taught inner city middle school social studies in Philly more than 10 years ago there were plenty of kids in my classes who named at least one Beatle. Most named John Lennon as that 'peace dude' even tough he had died well before those kids were born.  I wasn't surprised.  They were surprised, however, that I knew about the Ruff Ryders and DMX.

The Beatles transcend 'age cohorts' and 'socioeconomic backgrounds.'  Don't you agree?
The dude couldn't name ONE Beatle.  Just ONE!  A 35 year old!  I can't comprehend that, no matter what you believe to be the explanations.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »

The Beatles transcend 'age cohorts' and 'socioeconomic backgrounds.'  Don't you agree?

No. Only British chauvinists believe that.

Ben Lovett

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2014, 07:08:15 AM »
Peter was pro at Parkstone and his father was pro at Ferndown both in the Bournmouth area

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2014, 01:51:20 PM »

Why is it that  the British commentators from Longhurst, Allis, Price and many others did enjoy their Vitamin G?

Bob

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2014, 12:48:31 PM »

Why is it that  the British commentators from Longhurst, Allis, Price and many others did enjoy their Vitamin G?

Bob

As Tevia says, tradition.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »

Diaglog:

Still a great story!

Dave McCollum

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2014, 03:15:19 PM »
I have no idea if this is true, but I've heard several confirmations that it is gospel.  Who cares, it is a good story and entirely believable as these guys just say whatever they want.  On the other side of the pond, we must suffer through the insipid ramblings of guys like Strange, Azinger, etc.  The Golf Channel is even worse.  Tripp and Brandel telling us what it is like to be there.  How would they know?  I'll concede that Chamblee does his homework, but he has so much airtime to fill he'll anoint Adam Scott as the best player in the world and four days later say it's Rory.  Might as well take a survey in the mall.  If I were to vote for my favorite babbler, I'd pick the likes of Alliss and Longhurst.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2014, 03:30:55 PM »
They have the ability to make listening to them understandable and interesting whether you know anything about golf or not. Muh like the best cricket commentators.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back