News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Did I hear Peter Alliss right...
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Just told SVP he is not a big fan of links golf.

BHoover

Re: Did I hear Peter Alliss right...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:08:45 AM »
I heard the same thing and it surprises me, kind of like when Rory admitted that he isn't the biggest fan of links golf.  I wonder if those who have easier access to links golf tend to take it for granted?

Will Lozier

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 10:11:39 AM »
Remember, he is a heathlands kid.  But, a very surprising thing to hear and even weirder when he then followed with something like: "I suppose the bunkers are interesting..."

Greg Taylor

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »
Being from the UK and being spoilt with links golf I can see where they are coming from.

If the wind gets up links golf is very hard. Factor in a hard left to right wing along a straight stretch of holes, think Western Gailes, and it can be a very long day. The wind just doesn't blow like that on the Surrey courses for example.

There's a place for both, but links and wind is a serious test of golf.

That being said Peter Alliss is going every so slightly mad in his old(ish) age!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »
Augusta syndrome.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 10:41:02 AM »
Always speaks highly of Deal and Lytham.  (Compare and contrast those two!)

Won twice at Princes

1965 Schweppes PGA Championship (Pro.) Peter Alliss
1969 Piccadilly Medal Pro. National Tournament Peter Alliss

There are portly more Links wins as the tour played more on them in his days.  Won approx. 16 times.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
Thank God a Yank didn't blurt this heresy!  That would provoke ten pages of blather.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 11:00:05 AM »
Thank God a Yank didn't blurt this heresy!  That would provoke ten pages of blather.

A pair of Englishmen came into the shop this morning and asked me who was leading the British Open.   :o

Only thing I could come up with was  "You guys are kidding me, right"?  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Paul Gray

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 01:10:01 PM »
Peter Alliss tends to be complimentary about anywhere likely to invite/employ him for a gala dinner and speeches.

Many of you won't have played any of his courses. And apparently he genuinely did have a hand in them, rather than just being a name. They tell you all you need to know.

I will allow others that have actually met him to comment further.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 01:16:42 PM »
For the second time this week, why is this a thread?

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ryan Coles

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »
Well said Ronald, dear boy.

What we require is more 'Which is the best national championship played in the United States'' type threads.

Splendid m'lad.

Paul Gray

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »

Noted.

However, this is about the commenting on 'the running game,' by a prominent voice in the game. Peter Alliss commenting on the purest form of sand based golf does have architectural significance.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »
Well said Ronald, dear boy.

What we require is more 'Which is the best national championship played in the United States'' type threads.

Splendid m'lad.

You forgot threads about turning pictures into posters.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 05:17:36 PM »
They'll miss him when he's gone.

How refreshing that he'll express an opinion. I'm sure lots share the view but none express it.

We are then left with listening to interviews along the lines of: It was tough out there with the wind getting up (It wasn't and it didn't). I really love links golf (they don't). I'm really looking forward to coming back to Scotland for the Ryder Cup (They aren't). The fans are so knowledgable over here (so everyone says, I just hide under my shades or avoid eye contact). I've had some great trips to Ireland and enjoyed the craic and a Guinness (it pissed down with rain and I had room service). I'm just taking one shot at a time (I spent Thursday evening looking at early flights home).

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
Brian,
"some of the girls looked cute, some were a bit pudgy and some were just a mess"

He really said that did he?  That's amazing!
Peter himself is a bit pudgy and often looks a mess and somewhat windblown in my opinion!

For me he will never top his statement regarding the streaker at one of The Opens being led away by an old time bobby. The very proper copper used his helmet to discretely cover up this criminal's privates. Peter opined to millions of television viewers "My, oh my, oh my. What a big, big fuss over such a little, little thing."

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 05:33:52 PM »

You don't find curious statements by leading figures worthy of discussion?

I've been away, missed the first one, but this sort of statement casts a new light on everything Mr. Alliss says...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Michael Blake

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
I enjoy his commentary.

His best comment today was after the taped interviews where players were asked to name members The Beatles.  Some could not!  Rory named one, 'George Lucas' and Bubba couldn't name one.  It was pretty embarrassing.

Allis then recalled a story talking with a woman about music.  I forget the story.  He responded to her with, "What about Sammy Davis, Jr.?"  And he said she replied to him, "Who is Sammy David Jr.?''

Allis then said, 'I nearly strangled her."

Matthew Rose

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »
I anxiously await this event for no other reason than to hear Peter Alliss come out with something bizarre.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKDnWdaepjY
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 07:22:15 PM »
Why would Bubba Watson be able to name the Beatles. Do you think a young fellow from some hick town in the deep south listens to classic 60's British Invasion pop music?

He probably doesn't know who Miles Davis or Carole King are either.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 07:40:12 PM »

Dear Brent,

Who?

Sincerely,

Bernie from Broomall
----------------------------------
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
Why would Bubba Watson be able to name the Beatles. Do you think a young fellow from some hick town in the deep south listens to classic 60's British Invasion pop music?

Miles Davis? Do you mean Miley Cyrus? Did autocorrect get you?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 07:46:24 PM »

Hey, you listen now Bailey.  I know who this Miley guy is.  The Sycamores would have never made it to the title game vs the Spartans in '79 without his magic at small forward!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »

Hey, you listen now Bailey.  I know who this Miley guy is.  The Sycamores would have never made it to the title game vs the Spartans in '79 without his magic at small forward!

Flippin' you the bird man. Magic played for the Spartans.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill Gayne

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 08:10:07 PM »
Peter Alliss on the Golf Channel was asked by Rich Lerner if he wanted to see bad weather responded "i like a bit of erotica but i'm not a masochist." (Assuming I heard correctly.)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »
The old man cracks me up, he says some goofy stuff but I enjoy listening to him tell stories.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back