News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

The Old Course 2014
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:10:42 AM »
I walked The Old Course last Sunday. It was the first time I had been back since 2010, having spent quite a lot of time there in the few years prior.

Having been quite vocal against the need for the recent changes, it was interesting to see them in the flesh.... Firstly, the work has been designed and built with a high degree of technical expertise..

Maybe more than others, I was worried about the "creation of undulations" to the right of 6 or 7 greens but I'm happy to say the work is subtle, the shaping good and it fits in pretty neatly around holes such as 2, 4 & 15... I still say WHY but it looks just fine….The bunkers short right of two are just too tight to reward play in from the right (although this side is still clearly the way to play in).... I am sad to see the hollow at driving distance on 7 being filled in... It was a maintenance nightmare maybe but you feel a little disorientated walking on to that 7 / 11 crossover now - It feels like a flat field where previously there was a feature. I'd have preferred a feature to remain, even if in different form.... I liked the gorse cleared on 7 tee-shot though...The green at 11 is OK - 99.99% of people would not notice the difference although I felt as though a little of that bold flowing shape had gone and there are a couple of micro-micro-steps where previously there were none... Nit picking a bit and if it gives those extra pin-positions, then maybe that compromise was worth it in the eyes of the majority... 17 I'm sure has lost a little kink in the front left of the green when the bunker was reshaped - a shame...  All in all, we'll move on - the world hasn't ended and the course remains the same... EXCEPT

What has happened to the width? It was really sad to see... It's as if someone has decreed that waving fescue is prettier to look at than the short grass undulations of the ground.... This course was as tight as Royal Aberdeen or The Renaissance Club looked from recent TV / photos... At least 50% of the bunkers are lost in the rough... The 3rd hole had all five fairway bunkers completely gone, the worst of them a full 40 yards in to the fescue on the left. What's more, where those added undulations look pretty good, they also looked like they may have been responsible for some green shrinkage (maybe I am imagining this though)... And now (maybe always?) we have gang mown semi-rough for the first 150 yards off most tees before fairway is reached... semi-rough doesn't do links courses any favours in my opinion - fine flanking the fairway transitions but never looks good right in front of you... Those comments aside, the conditioning looked superb and the presentation was top-notch...

Looking at Anthony Fowler’s thread saying the greens are flat, I reminded myself that I can’t agree – they are certainly big with large flattish areas but there is so much movement on some of these greens – they really are the ones to study – absolutely perfect…

Was great to get back and spend a morning there… Finished with a putt on the Himalayas as always – and then rushed to get my flight when a pint in the jigger beer garden was a much more appealing option…

Ally

Sean_A

Re: The Old Course 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 06:29:19 AM »
Ally

I agree concerning #7, the gorse clearance is excellent, but I can't understand filling in the dip.  This is a great feature that is well placed to cause grief for those like me who are not certain the area can be crossed from the tee shot.  However, as you suggest, by far the biggest issue is wdth.  In my last play I thought the course looked tighter in many places, but it wasn't until I got to 16 that I knew for sure something was up.  There is no fairway left of Principal's Nose.  There wasn't loads of space over there before, but I am sure the fairway has come in 15 yards over time.  Like you, I noticed many bunkers buried in rough - very sad.. For some reason the Links Trust gets a pass on this whereas everybody hammered Renaissance a few weeks ago for the same issue.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26:14 PM »
It's interesting to see how the Hell Bunker has been sanitized over the years.  The bunker used to be a gna rly terror, now it's had a crew cut. 

I'm looking forward to being back in St Andrews in May.  Hopefully the fairway, or at least very light rough, will have been restored to the left of the Principal's Nose.   Otherwise the hole makes no sense. 

Sean Walsh

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:01:17 AM »
From memory in 2006/7 the only bunkers in the rough were

2 - Right of the fairway about level with the himalayas and front edge of New clubhouse,
6 - The most obvious example, most of the bunkers on the right were well into the rough
14 - Maybe one or two of the beardies but only marginally

The removal of gorse from 7 is a real improvement IMHO opinon, the forst half of that hole really bugged me, as presented at least a third of golfers had little chance of finding the fairway and the gorse just cluttered the front and right of the tee. Resulting in a lot of time wasted looking for balls just right of the dip before the fairway.

The loss of the bowl in the fairway is a travesty.

The best golf shot I ever played was on the 11th and there's a fair chance it wouldn't be possible now. Does it lessen the value of the hole, maybe not I'm in no position to tell. In fact come to think of it the two best shots I ever played were on that hole and neither would have worked out the same with any lessening of the slope in the left third of the green.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 05:34:51 PM »
Regarding the changes. What happened to phase 2? I think it involved some new bunkers at 9. Was this ever done or did the 'revolt' of phase 1 stymie this?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 09:25:46 AM »
If the past is prologue, there will be no ex ante public discussion of the details of the changes; there will be no solicitation of ideas from outside the Links Trust; there will be no announcements about when they intend to start moving dirt.

Instead, we will wake up one morning to read that the work is well underway and will be completed soon.

Bob

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 09:59:03 AM »
When I met with Peter Dawson to see the works at the start of 2013 he implied that he personally was unsure about some of the proposed phase II works and that no clear decision had been taken as to whether they'd go ahead. Those works, according to the initial announcement, should have happened last winter, and I've heard nothing to suggest they did. I cannot see them doing anything this winter, with an Open in eight months.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back