News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Twin Falls, Idaho
« on: July 16, 2014, 08:07:24 AM »
Has anyone played it?

Care to share thoughts or pics?

I just saw a pic of it on @thedanplan on Twitter and it looked interesting.

Colin Macqueen

Re: Twin Falls, Idaho
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:44:12 AM »
Scott,

Is that one and the same as Dave McCollum's course Canyon Springs?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Lance Rieber

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
Scott, which course are you referring  to?  I would assume it is Blue Lakes  or Canyon Springs both are a lot of fun and unlike anything you have probably seen before. Really interesting sites

Garland Bayley

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:12:45 AM »
Thanks - I had read it as though the name was of the course, not the locale.

Here was the pic that got me intrigued:

Brad Tufts

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 08:45:22 AM »
Hi Scott,

That is Blue Lakes on the right and Canyon Springs on the left, as that picture is taken either from the Perrine Bridge over the Snake River, or from the observation point on the Twin Falls side of the bridge.  BL is private, and CS is public I believe.  

I played Blue Lakes a couple years ago, and found it a pleasant surprise.  The holes themselves are not necessarily world-beaters (although a few are pretty good), but the setting is otherworldly.  The canyon walls, river, rock outcroppings, bridge towering 400 feet above make for repeated visual delight throughout the round.

Here is my tour of BL from my picasa page.... https://picasaweb.google.com/114651692063570065963/BlueLakesCC#
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 08:50:33 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Dave McCollum

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 11:44:18 PM »
It is summer and the golf season, so I don’t visit here as much.  The discussion and pictures are correct.  Looking west in the photo, Blue Lakes in on the right and Canyon Springs is on the left side of the river.  For better or worse, I’m the owner/manager of Canyon Springs and have been the occasional participant here on cga.com for about seven years.  Back when I started putting in my two cents here, a woeful rookie enthusiast, I extended an open invitation to all to come and play, eager to learn from my fellow travelers.  If available, I’m on record as saying I’d like to show the treehouse gang two very different courses in a pretty amazing setting.  I actually still think that you guys will find it a unique golf environment and that you would enjoy the experience, so that invitation stands.  Just a few weeks ago a member of this board actually stopped by for a chat (the first, as far as I know), although in route to other destinations and with no time to play.  I was disappointed he was not intrigued enough to alter his plans and let me show him around.  Homer bias prevents me from tooting our horn too loudly, but I’d still find it interesting to play and discuss these courses with the treehouse gang. 

Beyond the relative architectural merit of the courses, it is an interesting study in good, fun, and affordable golf in an incredible landscape.  Put either of these courses, with a few tweaks here and there, into a significant urban area while preserving the dramatic landscape and you would have something to discuss.  It’s pretty dramatic.   I’ll leave it up to my recent visitor to confirm whether what I say is true.  Come on Pete, chime in.  We most definitely have our warts.  We also have our epiphanies.  All I’m saying is that is that with all my travels to the “great” courses of the world, we won’t be easily forgettable as a waste of time.   BTW, it would be quite simple to organize a cga.com outing here and Blue Lakes , at very affordable rates, if an interest existed.  My recommendation would be for late May or early June or September-October as July-August are quite hot.  I apologize for the blatant self promotion.   Not the intent, merely as travel guide with your interests as the objective.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 06:53:44 PM »
Brad,

Good review of BLCC and impressive research into the history of the area.  As a native, I have my nitpicks about the history and geography, but not so much as it matters.  If ever back in the area, come over to the other side of the river for a round at Canyon Springs.  We’re not as quirky and easily walkable.  We are also quite a bit faster and firmer.  We are the blue-collar version of golf in the canyon.  One has no objectivity about their home courses, but the two courses here in the canyon offer a decidedly “other worldly” golf experience.  I do think that BLCC is superior aesthetically and more scenic than Canyon Springs.  However, we share the same dramatic landscape and I think we offer different golf experiences.  I leave it up to the golfers to what they prefer.

Pat Burke

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 07:20:10 PM »
David
How are things going at CS?
I remember you posting a while back.  It's a fascinating area geologically.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 08:36:15 PM »
We survived the recession and the golf is picking up.  As a golf operator, the last 6 years have been an ordeal.  For better or worse, we decided to “fix” our golf biz problems by adding another recreation, a zipline, and using our water resources for commercial fish farming.  The fish and zipline don’t really have much impact on the golf.  Most golfers would not notice the fish raceways and the zipline is on another part of the property.  However, it’s generally easier to grow more fish than find more golfers or zippers.  It’s working, yet without these other resources and businesses, I wouldn’t say the golf business is all that healthy.  It is fun, enjoyable, and our golfers are great.  Making golf work as a business is very challenging.   We’re still here and fantasizing about how we can be better, so we have that going for us.

I got involved in this architecture stuff because I wanted to improve our course and enhance our incredible landscape.  Good bones, but the golf could be much better.  Personally, it’s much more a passion and an ambition than a business proposition.  To be honest, it’s a daft business if it weren’t so much fun.  I’m no Mike Keiser, a hopeless duffer, and have few skills as a designer of golf courses.  Gotta do something and this keeps me busy and feeds my over active immagination.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:07:52 PM by Dave McCollum »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
PMed you. Next Saturday?

David Lott

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 02:39:32 PM »
Dave, my daughter lives in Victor and is having a baby in September, so I will be in the area. Hope to visit and play.
David Lott

Dave McCollum

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »
David,

Love to have you.  You should know that out here in the West, things can be quite spread out.  I’m not sure but the drive from Victor to Twin Falls might be the better part of 4 hours, maybe more.  Also, the golf in the actual neighborhood of Victor, say less than an hour, is really quite good.  Huntsman Springs and Headwaters come to mind.  As well as all the options in Jackson Hole.  Architecturally speaking, I think Huntsman is an amazing place as it was totally created from a flat boggy mountain meadow.  There is water on something like 16 of 18 holes, yet it is very strategic and playable.  Given the original site was a Doak 0, IMHO, it’s pretty incredible what they managed to build (7 or 8?).  I haven’t played Headwaters, but my pros like it.  They were blown away by Huntsman, BTW.

Not familiar with access issues.  My guess would be that it’s not very difficult.  If you don’t mind the drive over to the south central part of the state, come on down.  Send me a note if you want more options.  September should be nice weather just about everywhere.  Congrats, Grandpa.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »
   It was a hot and calm day Saturday when I stopped by and got to play much of the course with Dave McCollum. The canyon has its own microclimate, and was the choice of the pioneering Perrine family, who had orchards, among other things. Things weren't looking up because two shotgun charity events were underway but the first tournament went much faster than expected. Layout yardages are 6900, 6400, 600 and 5200 which is a fairly good mix for the clientele.
   One short 3, two mediums and one long par three, par 5s all seem reachable. Only one long 4, Usually 14-17 play against the up-canyon winds, but that wasn't the case for me, and 18 is a tough dogleg if you are long enough, or smart enough not to try and cut the corner. Many subtle doglegs with aging, or beyond, trees at the corners. Medium sized greens, moderately contoured, with three slightly different styles.
The odd holes are 10, which may be driveable with a low, fall-away green above the river and both 7 and 9 wrap around the OBd driving range, but the play is to the driving range side. There are some ragged trees at the dogleg if you play the hole traditionally.
   The maintenance meld is low key, firm but not fast, which seems to be what the clientele want. Numerous annul card holders showed up to get in a few holes, as had we. It is an enjoyable course, worth a drop-by if you are in the area and have economic golf in mind.
   Dave did arrange a drive around on the course across the river, Blue Lake. It is a championship course, no doubt about it and it seems to require your A game. I don't know which is tougher, the course or the ent6rance road. What I envision to be a Matt Ward course.  John Harbottle did some good work there. Definitely need to carry more golf balls than Canyon Springs. I was amazed at the 11th green, as I had never seen fringe height cut between the upper and lower levels. Wish I could have stayed to watch a recovery shot from beyond the green.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »
I sort of bum-rushed Pete around in between two events and at a pace that was about an hour per nine holes.   I got a first-hand lesson about what “putt like Pittock” means.  Though not heavily contoured and not fast, most first timers don’t read our micro subtleties on the greens so well.  I found Pete’s game to be inspirational.  I hope to be playing as well in a few years.  Good fun showing a veteran from the treehouse around. 

Not much to add to Pete’s comment.  I’m not sure what a championship course is, but that’s not the first thing that would come to my mind when describing Blue Lakes.  It does hold its own for most local tournaments, but it is quite short from the tips at c. 6400 yards.  Playing it well requires accuracy and a bit of precise execution, and a good strategy for keeping out brutal native rocks and vegetation.  Charming, quirky, well conditioned, and beautiful are words I’d use first. 

We have had a few tournaments where Canyon Springs and Blue Lakes were used for different rounds.  Put a bunch of folks who are not familiar with the course out on BLCC, particularly higher handicap flights and women, and they are usually in for a very long day, mainly because they don’t know how to play it and lose balls as a result.  Very fun match play course, IMHO. 

If others come, I hope it’s not so hot, the breeze is up, and it’s not a busy weekend in July.  Sorry, Pete, hoped you enjoyed it anyway.     

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »
I did suggest a fountain in the pond by the 7th tee, but only because any spray would be cooling And I had talapia for dinner last night.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:22:13 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »

The Donald Trump of Idaho. Notice the waterfall in the shadow behind him created by a being in a higher tax bracket than The Donald can afford.

;)

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dave McCollum

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 09:32:15 PM »
Garland,

Good to have you.  Sorry it was a day the wee ones were swarming over the course.  We’ve always backed junior golf and have a very active program.  When you get back from your road trip, go ahead and tell the folks what you think of this joint.  I can take it.  We didn’t have much chance to talk when friends and family just pulled up a chair after our round.  That happens here.

I don’t think the size of your waterfall matters much.  We got ours for free.  We just have to deal with it. 

Sorry, also, I brought along a marker in case I couldn’t make a go of it in the scorching heat and walk with you.  This is a recent malady that I have to figure out.  Mysterious geezer stuff for the rest of you.

If any other adventurers make the journey here, please allow some time to talk to a halfwit that can’t talk about such things as GCA with his customers.   Bad for business.   I’ll comp the golf for the bother. 

Dave

Dave McCollum

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 12:23:38 AM »
BTW, Scott, I invited thedanplan.com to come play.  Interesting, if Quixotic endeavor.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back