News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Under Best of Golf/Art/AW Tillinghast, Phil Young's piece entitled Tillinghast: Student of Golf Course Architecture breaks new ground. Not to be dramatic BUT it announces a world first: the discovery of two golf diagrams hand drawn by A.W. Tillinghast and made public now for the first time.

One is a sparkling 1899 (!) rendition of the Redan and the other is the Road Hole from a 1901 dinner. The Old Course diagram is signed by Old Tom Morris (!), Alister MacKenzie (!), AWT (!) and David Scott-Taylor (?).

The first three names are well known but who is David Scott-Taylor? WELL, according to Phil, he is the great grandson of (the) Walter Scott and he is the man whose family possesses these original diagrams by Tillinghast. Ever since Scott-Taylor’s death in the 1930s, the sketches have been kept in trust for the Scott-Taylor family by a series of inter-related law firms since 1934. The family ownership provenance for purposes of authentication has been sworn to in an affidavit by their current solicitor, Eilian Williams Esq. In it he details that it has been held by the following law firms in an unbroken chain during that time: S.R. Dew to Dew & Prothro to Prothro & Wiiliams to Eilian Williams Esq. the current solicitor.The paper has been verified for age by experts at both the British Museum and other major institutions. The signatures as well have been verified by handwriting experts including several from major institutions and individuals.

The sketches have been seen both in person and via email PDF file by several well-known architects and historians who are familiar with Tillinghast's drawing system and all agree that they were done in his hand. When I spoke with Mike Hurdzan last night, he said this find (which Phil had shared with him) was ‘staggering.’

From an historical perspective, what do these two sketches represent beyond the artistic skills of AWT ? I believe that they are one of the earliest,  best, and most obvious connections to how the game of golf came to America from Scotland. Tilly's Redan may well be the first diagram by an American of a great hole in Scotland. In preparation for NGLA, CB Macdonald wouldn't sketch holes until his 1902 and 1904 trips to Scotland (i.e. several years after Tilly’s drawings). Crump, Wilson, et al. traveled to the auld sod much later than the dated Redan drawing. These artifacts support Tillinghast's position at the forefront of golf course architecture when it was at its nascent stage in America. Despite his reverence for Old Tom, Tilly followed no man; he was a leader right when the game and North America needed one.

If ever the Scott-Taylor family makes copies, I am in for two no matter the cost! When I jogged around Somerset Hills at dusk in 1986/7,  I was always enchanted by Somerset's jaw-dropping Redan. That amazing hole was borne of this sketch. It really is neat to appreciate how AWT a) traveled b)observed c) understood and d) translated what he learned into the dirt after returning home.

You have to read Phil's piece (and his Feature Interview this month too) to understand how this gentleman David Scott-Taylor was included at dinner with three of the all-time greats. This doctor is quite a story in and of himself. His account of being shoulder to shoulder in the trenches of WWI with fellow Brits including one Alister MacKenzie is chilling.

Anyway, it is indeed a very special and proud moment to be a part of Phil's revelation of this information and diagrams. They are part of history and these two meaningful, tangible items give us pause as we try to better understand who deserves credit and for what during that crucial period in the development of American golf at the turn of the last century. We here at GolfClubAtlas.com generally plod along but I must say that this ranks as a genuine thrilling discovery.

As a historian, I can only imagine how Phil and Ian Scott-Taylor (who follows the Atlas) are feeling by bringing these treasures forward. We certainly thank them for sharing them with us first, a true honor.

Best,
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:38:19 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Mike Policano

Re: Two Tillinghast treasures seen here and now for the first time
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 03:02:46 PM »
Ran and Phil,

Thanks for sharing such an interesting find on a few different levels. I am sure the journal would be a powerful read.

Ran, get back to Somerset Hills. All the trees behind the Redan have been taken down. The hole just floats out there.

Phil, are you aware of the existence of any of the models of holes/greens made by Tillinghast?

Ran and Phil, what will take to get Tillinghast into the World Golf Hall of Fame?

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »
Ran and Phil,

Thanks for sharing such an interesting find on a few different levels. I am sure the journal would be a powerful read.

Ran, get back to Somerset Hills. All the trees behind the Redan have been taken down. The hole just floats out there.

Phil, are you aware of the existence of any of the models of holes/greens made by Tillinghast?

Ran and Phil, what will take to get Tillinghast into the World Golf Hall of Fame?

+1-The # 2 Redan at Somerset Hills is an incredible golf hole. Majestic!!!!

Phil Young

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »
Hi Mike,

I agree, Ran should get back to SH!

None of the many plasticene models made by Tillinghast are known to exist. Probably the vast majority of them were thrown away over time. It doesn't mean that there aren't any out theret, but rather that wherever they may be, those who possess them may not realize what they are.

To get Tilly into the Hall of Fame, and Harry Colt, Wm. Flynn, Seth Raynor, Perry Maxwell and so many other greats of golf course architecture will take one of two things. Either extreme pressure is put on both the committee which will make the RECOMMENDATION as to who deserves the lifetime achievement award to the new committee that makes the final decision. Also that the new committee be convinced that golf's great's worthy of being inducted  into a "Hall of Fame" should include the great architects, especially as its a "lifetime achievement" category under which they qualify. For there would be no world-wide game of golf without someone designing the courses and there certainly wouldn't be the great Major championships or any other important tournaments of that type without great courses on which they are contested, because we have come to appreciate that great players are judged so only because of what they accomplish on great golf courses.

The second thing that can be done is for those who serve on these committees to grow a conscience aqnd recognize that entertainers, politicians and even some whose lifetime achievement in golf consisted of saying "switch from camera A to camera B" should not have come at the igoring of these great architects. By that I'm not saying that each of these to whom I refer don't deserve to be enshrined, rather that their enshrinement BEFORE these great architects, especially in the case of Tillinghast, lessens the accomplishments of all who have been enshrined.

Consider Tilly's accomplishments:
1- A 40+ year career as a golf writer/journalist/editor. The architect who wrote more about every aspect of golf, including architecture, than any other by a huge margin.
2- He was arguably the first great golf photographer. In fact Travis once wrote that the history of the game owed Tilly because of all of the photographs of tournaments, players and golf courses that he took. He carried his 5x5 camera with him everywhere he went and developed each individual glass negative and printed the photos as well. His photographic skills were so important that they aided Ben Hogan who visited him in the early 1930s at his home in Harrington Park. They worked on Hogan's swing together and Tilly filmed much of this. His granddaughter Barbara remembers how they would go into Tilly's basement dark room at night, develop the movies and then examine his swing frame-by-frame.
3- His 27+ month PGA Course Consultation tour during the 1930s enabled the PGA of America to survive during a time when many of their member pros and clubs had abandoned their membership so they could save their funds. Tilly only consulted at Clubs that had a PGA professional and who's dues had been paid up to date. This tour also changed the face of hundreds of courses across America and aided in the re-growth of the game as the country struggled to come out of the Great Depression.
4- Oh yes, there is also the matter of his golf course design work, both original and renovations...

Sorry to go off on that rant...

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
Mike: Thank you so much for the article and the drawings.  Do you think that many players back then could play the Redan but hitting directly at a back left hole location?

Mike Policano

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Phil,

It is hardly a rant. Is there a list of the courses designed by AWT that have held major tournaments for men, women and seniors and Ryder Cups?
I suspect the list is pretty extensive.

Cheers, Mike

Phil Young

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 07:16:35 AM »
Mike,

Here's a list of Tilly courses on which have hosted major and other USGA national championships. It doesn't include those such as Bethpage & Baltusrol where future ones already have been scheduled:

Baltimore CC (5 Farms) – US Women’s Open, US Amateur, PGA Championship
Baltusrol (Lower & Upper) – 5 US Opens, 3 US Women’s Opens, 2 US Amateurs, PGA Championship
Bethpage Black – 2 US Opens
Bethpage Red & Blue - US Public Links
Brook Hollow GC – US Men’s Mid-Amateur
Cedar Crest GC – PGA Championship, US Public Links
Fresh Meadow CC (NLE) – US Open, PGA
Golden Valley CC – US Girls Junior
Hermitage GC – PGA Championship
Indian Hills CC – US Girls Junior
Newport CC – Us Women’s Open, US Women’s Amateur
Oak Hills CC – US Boys Junior
Oaks CC – US Girls Junior
Ridgewood CC – Ryder Cup, US Amateur, US Sr. Open, US Sr. Amateur, Sr. PGA
Rochester G&CC – US Women’s Mid-Am
San Francisco Golf Club – Curtis Cup, US Sr. Amateur
Shawnee CC – PGA, US Women’s Amateur
Somerset Hills CC – Curtis Cup
Swope Memorial – US Women’s Public Links
Tulsa CC – US Women’s Amateur
Winged Foot GC (Eats & West) – 5 US Opens, 2 US Women’s Opens, US Sr. Open, 2 US Amateurs, PGA

The above list does not include tournaments which were considered major championships of their time such as the Shawnee, Eastern & MGA Open championships and the numerous courses that have hosted PGA & LPGA Tour events. Also, as in the cases of Baltusrol and BCC 5 Farms, the listed ones are not all that these clubs may have hosted as they were the site of other championships played before the Tillinghast course was designed and created.

Tim Liddy

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:22:12 AM »
Wow. Great find. Thanks for sharing.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:45:28 AM »
Terrific. Well done for sharing.
atb

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 01:53:39 PM »
Mike,

Here's a list of Tilly courses on which have hosted major and other USGA national championships. It doesn't include those such as Bethpage & Baltusrol where future ones already have been scheduled:

Baltimore CC (5 Farms) – US Women’s Open, US Amateur, PGA Championship
Baltusrol (Lower & Upper) – 5 US Opens, 3 US Women’s Opens, 2 US Amateurs, PGA Championship
Bethpage Black – 2 US Opens
Bethpage Red & Blue - US Public Links
Brook Hollow GC – US Men’s Mid-Amateur
Cedar Crest GC – PGA Championship, US Public Links
Fresh Meadow CC (NLE) – US Open, PGA
Golden Valley CC – US Girls Junior
Hermitage GC – PGA Championship
Indian Hills CC – US Girls Junior
Newport CC – Us Women’s Open, US Women’s Amateur
Oak Hills CC – US Boys Junior
Oaks CC – US Girls Junior
Ridgewood CC – Ryder Cup, US Amateur, US Sr. Open, US Sr. Amateur, Sr. PGA
Rochester G&CC – US Women’s Mid-Am
San Francisco Golf Club – Curtis Cup, US Sr. Amateur
Shawnee CC – PGA, US Women’s Amateur
Somerset Hills CC – Curtis Cup
Swope Memorial – US Women’s Public Links
Tulsa CC – US Women’s Amateur
Winged Foot GC (Eats & West) – 5 US Opens, 2 US Women’s Opens, US Sr. Open, 2 US Amateurs, PGA

The above list does not include tournaments which were considered major championships of their time such as the Shawnee, Eastern & MGA Open championships and the numerous courses that have hosted PGA & LPGA Tour events. Also, as in the cases of Baltusrol and BCC 5 Farms, the listed ones are not all that these clubs may have hosted as they were the site of other championships played before the Tillinghast course was designed and created.

Phil - No Walker Cups? Quaker Ridge had 1 in 97, and will have a Curtis Cup in a few years, making it one of only a few Met Area courses to hold multiple major USGA events, pro or am.

Phil Young

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
Mike Cirba asked me to post this for him:

Hi Phil,

Nice to see you back on Golfclubatlas.   Thank you for sharing this remarkable information and the beautiful drawings.  They certainly shift the focus and change the picture of some of our early understanding of golf in this country, particularly as influenced by the great courses and holes abroad.  You mentioned that their finding may stir up some conjecture, which I believe is generally helpful as long as facts and conjecture are clearly defined and understood.

I think what those drawings prove is that artistic reproductions of famous holes were in and around Philadelphia at least a decade earlier than what was previously known and given Tililnghast's social circle I think there is very little doubt that these would have been circulated or at least have been shown to his close friends.

Any further conjecture would be tough to prove, particularly as relates to the creation of Merion.   We do know that Richard Francis wrote in 1950 that "...Mr. Wilson went to the British Isles to study golf-course design, and returned with a lot of drawings which we studied carefully, hoping to incorporate their good features on our course."

Might those have been drawings Tillinghast gave him?   Possibly.   They could also have possibly been from CBM, who Wilson visited prior to going abroad, or they could possibly be sketches Wilson himself made of features he wanted to be able to reproduce in whole or in part.

One account of Wilson from an overseas newspaper said "...the object of Mr. Wilson's visit is that they may be kept as like the originals as it is possible for green architects to make them."

Which is cool, but of more interest to me is the next section, which indicates that much like Tillinghast, Hugh Wilson also took photographs of the famous holes.

"Mr. Wilson, who has already visited Formby and Hoylake paid a visit to Troon on Wednesday, and after a round with Harry Fernie he in the afternoon went over the course with Willie Fernie, and took snapshots of the course at various points, including the short eighth hole, the Sandhills bunker, and the eleventh hole.   It is Mr. Wilson's intention to visit Prestwick, Muirfield, North Berwick, and St. Andrews before going south to inspect the courses in and around London."

Another possible source of drawings, or photos, and just certainly knowledge about the famous holes was Rodman Griscom.   Jeff Silverman's new history book, Merion: The Championship Story goes into considerable detail regarding Griscom and his sister spending summers in the early 1900s under the tutelage of Ben Sayers at North Berwick, so Griscom certainly knew a redan from an Eden, and so on.   As you know, Rodman Griscom was also a great friend of Tilly.

I’d also mention that although Wilson, Griscom, et.al. and Tillinghast were good and close friends, we also know that at least one of Tillinghast's updates about the Merion project took place directly from CBM while Tilly was at Garden City GC because Tilly wrote as much in 1912, referring to a conversation with CBM a year prior.   

Overall, to me, I think this finding slightly redefines Macdonald’s accomplishments, putting more emphasis on his greatest achievement at The National being the creation of a single golf course with eighteen great (or near great) holes, some strategically patterned and some directly copied from great holes abroad.  However, some later accounts (such as Whigham’s eulogy) virtually credit CBM solely for bringing the very concept and knowledge of what constituted a great golf hole to this country and your findings show that to be a bit of an exaggeration.

Thanks again for the marvelous contribution to golf course architectural history.

Mike Cirba

Phil Young

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 05:54:25 PM »
Jaeger,

That was a quickly put together list. Considering all the ones that have been held on Tilly courses I'm not surprised to have missed one or even more!

Many thanks...

Bill Gayne

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »
A pleasure to read.

Thanks to the Phil and the Scott-Taylor family for sharing.

Gene Greco

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »
   So who is the Father of American Golf Course Architecture??
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Phil Young

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 10:49:33 PM »
Isn't that an interesting question now? The answer one gives is completely subjective and wilol be based upon the specific set of parameters that one believes defines the answer...

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 03:29:10 AM »
Great article Phil!!  :o :o :o

Phil Young

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 06:14:30 PM »
Thanks Neil...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
Frankly, I think Mr. Young ought to be invited to the podium at a "Hall of Fame" ceremony to read his reply #3 and list in reply #6.  What more need be said?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil Young

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 11:06:03 PM »
RJ,

As much of an ego trip that might be, I'm quite sure that I'm not high on anyone's list for that privilege when or if that day ever comes...

Beside, I would speak about none of that. I would talk about Tilly the man, explaining how his passion for golf and those architects he personally knew and was deeply impressed by would drive him, if he was alive to accept the honor himself, to challenge those seated before him to induct them alongside him. That not having a separate wing for architects is a wrong that must be righted. That because too many PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS have recently been inducted who were borderline candidates at best forcing the Hall to make an even more egregious mistake, that is, changing it to an every other year ceremony without increasing the opportunity for these long-overdue golf course architects who deserve to be memorialized for as long as the game exists now will be shuffled off every other year. Meanwhile, new actors who provide good television coverage of tournaments, politicians whose sole impact on the game is showing their faces at tournaments & the occasional ailing golf-related figure who is now seriously ill will all once again get in before these true greats of golf. After all, doesn't the family of the ailing person as well as himself deserve to see it happen "while he is still alive?" Yet I ask this, why should Tilly's 4 grandchildren, all now well into their 80s with failing healths, not be worthy of this same privilege? Why should they be expected to wait any longer for the day when Tilly is inducted? Especially as every single person involved in the administration of golf and the hall of fame who has been asked by myself "Should A.W. Tillinghast be in the Hall of Fame?", and that number is quite substantial, has answered with a resounding YES! 

No, I don't think that I'd be their first choice... But thanks for the opportunity to get back on that soap box for a moment! :) 

Lester George

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »
Phil,

Fantastic stuff!!  Thank you for caring and thank you for sharing.

Best,

Lester

Phil Young

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 06:05:44 PM »
My pleasure Les...

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 02:30:48 PM »
Phil

Many thanks for posting those sketches.

A couple of comments regarding the sketches. I note they don't have any yardages or a scale marked on them, likewise there is no indication of the elevational changes that you get on the Redan in particular. In that respect the plans look like the type of line drawingas that you got in newspapers of the day. Given the lack of detail what do you think they tell you, and what would they communicate to someone like Wilson who probably was already familiar with plans of St Andrews ?

Secondly, the Road Hole sketch defines the fairway. Off the top of my head I'm not sure I've seen this before on sketches of this type. Could be wrong but I thought there was lack of definition back then due to sheep and other grazing animals being unable to graze in a straight line  ;D

Niall

DMoriarty

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »
The inclusion of fairway lines caught my eye as well.  Not only does it not seem to fit with TOC, but it doesn't fit with the style of sketches of golf holes/courses from the same time period.  

In my reading, I have found that fairway lines were rarely (if ever) depicted in the drawings and maps during this early period. Occasionally one might see a map or sketch for a new course where the hole corridors were depicted, but this was often because some sort of clearing or construction had apparently taken place. I would go so far as to suggest that the concept of a strictly defined, arbitrarily created fairway lines may not yet have been well established in the golf architect's lexicon.

Same goes of the the precisely shaped representations of the tee boxes in both drawings, especially the depiction of the tee box on the Redan sketch.  I don't remember the details of every drawing I've ever seen, but I feel safe in saying that, generally,such details on drawings from the turn of the century were unusual, if they existed at all.  

If anyone has any examples of Circa 1900 sketches that include specific fairway lines and/or detailed drawings of the shapes of the tees, I'd love to see them.  

Thanks.  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 07:46:36 AM »
I might also add that in relation to the Road Hole, the sketch doesn't actually show the Road or was the road not built then ?

As an aside, I happened to be playing at North Berwick on Sunday with 3 other GCAers, one of whom inadvertently tried Tilly's alternative route to the hole. I'm sure there are others that know the hole better than me who could comment but Tilly's suggested alternative route seems an awfully high tariff type shot given the carry and then the fall away behind. If you were laying up would it not be better to lay up before the bunker and chip on from there ?

Niall

Phil Young

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »
The sketches done by Tilly were done to depict the hole as it existed, although that is what was done, but as a means of personal study for him of how it was designed. These were the perceptions of a young man in the beginnings of teaching himself the intricacies of golf course design put onto a canvas for later study and conversations with others.

That they should appear different from hole design drawings of the day shouldn't surprise one but rather should be expected. They reflect what he saw and what he wanted to remember and think about.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back