News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Two Tillinghast treasures seen here and now for the first time
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »
From The Lurker:

Phil:

Vis-a-vis your Reply #24, how does one, at this point, determine what Tilly's specific intentions were when he made those two drawings in 1899 and 1901?

I am certainly aware of how multi-faceted Tilly apparently always was in that he was artistic (he drew), he wrote comprehensively on golf and architecture for years, and of course he was a golf architect of remarkable depth and breadth throughout his career. 

Over the years, I have been most familiar with his constant writing and reporting on golf and architecture. For instance, without Tilly's writing chronology on the creation of Pine Valley, I could not have put together the timeline of the creation years of Pine Valley, as I did.

My specific question to you today is----if Tilly made those two remarkable early drawings of the Redan (1899) and the Road Hole (1901) for his own use in the study and perhaps future use for his architectural career (which was some years off at those points), then why did he give those drawings to the Scott Taylor family at that time? It seems to me the more logical reason he gave the Scott Taylor family those drawings shortly after he did them was because he probably did those two drawings specifically for artistic reasons.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 10:23:33 AM »
Phil

I agree with the Lurker, the sketches appear to be more for artistic reasons rather than for any real documentation of the nuances of the design of the hole(s) as evidenced by any real design detail such as scale, sizes, contours, slopes etc. Also rather than appearing different to hole depictions of the time, they look remarkably similar to the type of basic plans routinely seen in contemporary newspapers. The obvious exception being the fairway outline that I alluded to in my earlier post.

I'm fairly sure TOC was still used for grazing at that time therefore I would have expected any differential between fairway and rough to be blurred. Either way it's a nice keepsake to have.

Niall

Phil Young

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 11:41:31 AM »
Niall,

I am a bit confused. You appear to be making contradictory statements. Can you clarify what you mean when you say, "rather than appearing different to hole depictions of the time, they look remarkably similar to the type of basic plans routinely seen in contemporary newspapers..."
with this earlier one, "Secondly, the Road Hole sketch defines the fairway. Off the top of my head I'm not sure I've seen this before on sketches of this type."

In addition David agreed with this second statement of yours. In reference to the fairway lines and precisely shaped representations of tee boxes he wrote, "I don't remember the details of every drawing I've ever seen, but I feel safe in saying that, generally,such details on drawings from the turn of the century were unusual, if they existed at all."  

That is why I stated, "That they should appear different from hole design drawings of the day shouldn't surprise one but rather should be expected. They reflect what he saw and what he wanted to remember and think about."

Niall, Joe & the Lurker, these were not for artistic purposes. Tilly was studying the courses and specific holes in the U.K. for the specific purpose of understanding the concepts that define great course architecture and design. These drawings, as well as many others that he did constantly throughout his life show this. Remember too that he spent a great deal of time talking to others on these trips about golf architecture and design.

In addition, he also brought along his 5x5 camera and photographed everything from courses to players to St. Andrews itself. Many of these photographs can be seen in the pages of GOLF & other magazines beginning in 1901 and onward. He used the photographs of the holes and features (there is a wonderful one of the "whins" at St. Andrews as an example) in his studies.

As for why he delineated the fairway there are a number of possible answers:
1- That's what he saw on the hole.
2- He was defining not the fairway/rough line but the areas of "Hilly Ground" which is what he wrote on the drawing and not rough. This possibility is what I believe because when you compare the Redan drawing you'll see that he defined the areas of "Rough" on the hole.
3- Any of a multitude of possible reasons that one might come up with.

We'll probably never know the definitive answer.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:17:20 PM by Phil Young »

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
Phil

If you read the next line in my post "The obvious exception being...." you will note there is no contradiction.

I do believe this exception is worth noting, not just because it's different to other similar sketches of the time, but also because it suggests there was some definition to the fairway. Bear in mind that in 1901 TOC was likely still being grazed by sheep, and that with links you would have minimal mowing anyway, then it's perhaps surprising that there was a noticeable defined edge between the rough and fairway on the ground.

As to the purpose of the sketch, if it was to note design ideas to pass on or as an aide memoir then frankly its fairly basic and doesn't go beyond anything already published at the time. I think you could say that even more about the Redan sketch.

Niall   

Phil Young

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
Niall,

Put yourself in Tilly's place and time. He had just taken up the game a few years earlier. His knowledge of design principles was minimal at best when he began a systematic study of it. This was part of his purpose in the trips to the U.K., to study the great courses and holes and to discuss design theory with people such as Old Tom and others he would befriend who either understood design principles or were practicing architects themselves. An example of this was Tilly's friendship with MacKenzie at this time.

As for the sketches being fairly basic, why should that mean that they are artistic representations rather than a means of study? Remember that he also took photographs of holes. These would be used in concert for his studies and discussions about design with any he spoke with on the subject on both sides of the Atlantic.

The gifts of the sketches to Dr. David Scott-Taylor was because he found a kindred soul in him as one who also had a passion for understanding golf course design and architecture.   

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
An example of this was Tilly's friendship with MacKenzie at this time.   

Was Tillinghast friendly with MacKenzie prior to their meeting in St. Andrews, or had they just met via Dr. Scott-Taylor?

It's clear that MacKenzie was friends with his fellow Doctor by then.  But this is still a few years before MacKenzie met Harry Colt at Alwoodley, and way before he was publicly known as an architecture enthusiast.  From Colt's recounting of their first meeting, MacKenzie had been fascinated by the subject for a few years prior -- he said he had all sorts of photos and drawings -- but this 1901 meeting is the earliest I've seen of MacKenzie meeting with fellow architect(s) -- and only Tom Morris had actually designed a golf course by then.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 04:27:21 AM »
I can accept PY's interpretation of the boundary lines to the Road Hole as nothing more than definition. It would be fairly silly to attempt to portray a hole without giving it some definition.

What intrigues me is that what lies beyond the green is defined as "bunker" rather than "road." Since the sketch is titled "17th Hole 'The Road,'" I would guess that the road actually existed at the time and that either the wall or the road might have been included in the sketch.

As PY indicates, AWT appears to have drawn what he saw. The two bunkers just off the tee on 17, to the left, are not in his drawing. He might have considered these part of the 2nd hole, to be excluded from the sketch.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Niall C

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 06:28:16 AM »
Ronald

You’re a 21st century golfer. You are used to having everything defined from the teeing ground, to the path leading to the fairway, the fairway itself and then the different degrees of rough. You wouldn’t have had that in 1901. Mowing would have been a far less frequent occurrence particularly on a links. Then you have the blurred lines caused by grazing animals.

Even today, with much more manicured courses, the transition from fairway to rough on a lot of traditional links can be hard to spot at times so my point is that there wouldn’t have been that definition there to record so why is it on the sketch ?

Phil

Another mystery to me is how these great men could have dinner at the Scores Hotel in 1901 when it didn’t come into being until 1930’s, or at least the current Hotel of that name didn’t come into being until then. Was there another hotel of that name ?  What was the address on the headed notepaper ?

Niall
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:32:54 AM by Niall Carlton »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 06:42:58 AM »
Niall,

To quote a comparative linguistics teacher, arguing a point with a historical linguistics teacher:

?Estuviste alli? Entonces, ?como lo sabes?

Were you there? Well, then how do you know?

All we can do is suppose. To say that there would have been no definition in any man's eye is a bold claim.

If you want to call the sketches fraudulent, then do so.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Phil Young

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 07:39:21 AM »
Niall,

That's a good question. The original note is in Scotland. I'll see if I can get both another image of the entire note and information regarding the date of 1930.

Tom, this is the earliest information that I have for Tilly & MacKenzie. I'll see if I can locte anything else.

Ron, I don't see anythingw rong with a healthy debate and asking questions and am not offended by those that Niall and others raised. The answer for whether or not someone would show a defining line on a hole drawing in 1901, whether it defines fairway/rough line or separation of hilly terrain from flat is to me a semantic argument. Whether or not other drawings showing this same drawing style of a defining line had been used or not matters not. It is a question of why Tilly would have used it and he certainly can't answer...

I'm traveling today through the weekend and will chime in when I can although it will be limited...

Niall C

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 07:57:41 AM »
Ronald

Let me assure you, I'm not that old. I have however looked at an awful lot of similar style drawings from that time, as well as read a lot of contemporary reports, and to top it all have seen quite a few photos as well. None of the drawings, that I can recall, showed defined fairways so it is an exceptional detail, at least to me. I spent a bit of time last night going through Scott Macphersons book which is the definitive one on story of golf at St Andrews and he has several photos of the time that show it was fairly rough and ready in comparison to today's highly maintained courses.

Do I want to call the sketch fraudulent ? No, I would like to find out more about it and the meeting of Tilly and MacKenzie.

Phil

Thanks for that. Look forward to hearing from you further.

Niall

Phil Young

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 08:08:49 AM »
Niall,

I've requested the copies. It will take a few days as it is the family's solicitor's office and part of a probate action with the death of Ian's mother several months ago.

I was able to learn that the original Grand Hotel was also known as the "Scores Hotel" as many who just played the old course would walk into its bar & restaurant to "tally up their scores." That is the genesis to how the modern Scores Hotel got its name. It is a single source and I'll see if I can confirm that further but I found that fascinating.

I'm off to pack for a flight to Albany, NY...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:39:35 AM by Phil Young »

Niall C

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »
Thanks Phil, that would make sense.

Niall

DMoriarty

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 01:58:23 PM »
It would be fairly silly to attempt to portray a hole without giving it some definition.

This is a "fairly silly" claim written by someone who apparently has no understanding in how courses were portrayed at this point in time.  In 1901, courses were portrayed without strictly defined, arbitrarily created fairway lines. This was not "silly" at the time. It was commonplace.  So much so that these sketches look to me to be outlandish in comparison to other such renderings at the time.

I could be mistaken, but if I am it ought to be easy enough to demonstrate.

Can can anyone come up with any Circa 1901 golf course sketches, maps, or plans which include such fairway lines and/or detailed drawings of the shapes of the tees?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
I've got this from 1914, : http://darwin.chem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/pv_1_04_1914_Inky.jpg

Here's a Tilly from 1914: http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo90/PhiltheAuthor/ShawneeCCCourseSketchca1914.jpg

I'll keep looking.

And I've found them, thanks to the Ed Oden thread:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/eko_gfl/PlanoftheGolfCourseoverStAndrewsLinks1875byTHodge001_zps3865917f.jpg

and

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/eko_gfl/TroonGCMap1888001_zpsd37517c9.jpg

It seems to be uniquely Scottish. If Tilly saw these sketches, or some of their ilk, he might have imitated them long before Al Mac drew his famous plan of The Old Course.

======
David, were you saying that I'm silly and have little knowledge? I just like to be clear on this one, as your words weren't. I realize that sticks were the norm for hole demarcation, so thank you for compelling me to find a few outliers.

======
Phil...I'm all for healthy debate. I thought I was contributing to one. It seemed to me that Niall insinuated that the sketch wasn't period-appropriate.

======
Niall...I know you're not that old!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:57:11 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
Welcome back Phil, we need more historians.

Enjoyed the sketches and this discussion, very much.
Let's make GCA grate again!

DMoriarty

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 04:15:30 PM »
Ron,

You guys needn't bother looking in 1914.  Golf course architecture was an entirely different animal by 1914.  The date on that work of art is "May 1901."

The sketches are not "period-appropriate." 

As for your question, I think my words were clear.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
David, there are always outliers. Tilly might have been that outlier. Is that outside the realm of your consideration?

Are you saying that the sketch is misdated?

I'm not a fan of this beating around the bush. Say what you mean, mean what you say and give Phil something to chase.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Niall C

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 08:05:49 AM »
Ronald

Tilly may well have been the outlier and that he imposed fairway definition that wasn't on the ground at St Andrews because that was what he was used to back in the US, I don't know. I suppose it's possible, and if he did I would find that fairly interesting. I'm just not convinced that what he was representing ie. a clear definition between fairway and rough, would have existed on the ground at St Andrews.

Niall

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »
Niall,

I understand now what you are chasing and I agree. If that is not what was on the ground at the time, perhaps it is what AWT imagined should be there. Who knows?

David has certainly been helpful in reminding us that |-----------------------O was the typical hole designation of the day. I look forward to the development of this thread.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2014, 04:37:35 AM »
I think the point is that Tillinghast drew what he drew, and whether he saw a fairway line or not he drew something that looks to us like a fairway line. Tilly was not a professional golf course architect or depicter of golf courses when he drew these, rather an enthusiastic amateur studying the great courses. Naturally one would expect he would be a keen reader and no doubt familiar with hole sketches of the day. He just chose in this instance to depict those holes with a fairway line. I don't see it as a crime. Also, given that he chose to give these sketches away suggests he did others that he kept, and perhaps these were different and more elaborate. But we only have what we see here to comment on.
Neil

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2014, 06:22:28 AM »
Neil...there's nothing veiled in what you write. That's what we should be after.

It's precocious and prescient of AWT, then, to come up with a way to depict a hole that wasn't in vogue, some fifteen years before it began to standardize itself.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

DMoriarty

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2014, 10:58:17 PM »
Phil recently started a new thread attempting to address the reasons behind the major problems with his recent Tillinghast article. Had he not mentioned it to me in a message, I might not have seen it. I checked with a few others and they hadn't noticed it either. I am copying his post here and will eventually comment on it here.

This is an important enough topic that I think all the information ought to be in the same place, and Ran's thread introducing the article seems  to be the obvious place.

Hubris and a point of honor.

In my interview with Ran I speak of the importance of approaching information with “fresh eyes” and give some detailed experiences that I’ve seen during the course of the research work I have done for some clubs.

Well, I can now I fully understand the depth of my own statement on how one can make mistakes in properly understanding for I’ve fallen into the same trap myself. As a result it turns out that some of the details in the story behind the Tillinghast sketches were incorrect.

So, as a point of honor I am coming forward to admit the mistake, explain how it occurred and detail the actual events as they happened doing so directly from photographs of pages from the 1901 journal of Dr. David Scott-Taylor. I intend to answer any and all questions that may/will be asked and any criticisms leveled against me I will accept as being well-earned.

This is the genesis of the mistake’s discovery. At the beginning of this past week David Moriarty sent me a private email cc’ed to Ran in which he challenged the May 11, 2001, date for Tilly having been to St. Andrews. He said that he checked on shipping manifests and found only one and that it showed that Tilly and his wife arriving in Liverpool on July 20th. This was followed by some newspaper citations that showed Tilly playing in cricket matches in Philadelphia in both early and mid-May which would have made it physically impossible for Tilly to have been in Scotland on May 11th, the date I stated for the dinner at the “Scores” Hotel at which the Road hole sketch was to have been signed by Old Tom, MacKenzie, David Scott-Taylor and Tilly.

David did a very good job of research on this. He deserves the full credit for this find and I thank him for it. He chose to present it privately because he said the he was concerned for the hit I would take to my reputation and I believe that. In fact I’m sure that it will quite surprise most to hear that he & I actually spoke on the phone about the issues raised and did so pleasantly and civilly.

In my essay I credit the details surrounding the supposed May 1901 visit to the journals of Dr. David Scott-Taylor. This is where sloppiness on my part came in. I never actually saw the journal pages at the time I looked into the veracity of the sketches after I had been made aware of them by my friend, Ian Scott-Taylor. So how could I make the claim that the information I wrote about was found in them?

It is odd to come forward and admit to a mistake of this type and ask that some trust be given in what I am about to say, but still, that is what I’m doing. If anyone chooses not to give that trust I will understand.

I have been involved with a series of ongoing research projects for the Scott-Taylor family separate from the Tillinghast drawings. I am currently not at liberty to reveal what they involve and will not do so. They involve information found throughout many different volumes of the journals of Dr. Scott-Taylor and in each case I actually did see photographs of the relevant pages from them. They were exactly correct in backing up what the family had told me about the things they had me researching.
So why then didn’t I go through the process of procuring photographic copies of the journal pages for the Tillinghast sketches? My favorite author once wrote, “Logistics is the assassin of ideas.” That is what occurred here, that and hubris.

The logistics involved in getting the photographs of the journal pages for the other research was a long and laborious process due to a private family situation which I will not speak of here. This was greatly compounded by their being in the custody of the family’s solicitor’s in Scotland. Adding to this, it occurred at a time when I was also involved in far too many other research projects and I was flat out exhausted by the time I got to the Tillinghast sketches.

The hubris of not having the “fresh eyes” that I so pride myself in having comes in my belief that the information provided to me about how and when Dr. David Scott-Taylor received the Road hole sketch was true and accurate and that because on every other occasion when I needed to verify something similar via the journals that they were correct in every single detail.

That is why I accepted what had been told me by the family as being the truth because I knew they believed it and had gotten to the point where I had no reason whatsoever to doubt it. That was my egregious mistake.

Rather than comparing the mistakes with the new information that I will be shortly presenting and reference further on, I’m simply going to outline what the journals state happened and when. This information comes directly from transcripts of the journal pages referred to and was done by myself. The irony in all of this is that a dinner did take place at the Scores Hotel on May 11, 1901, at which time the Road hole sketch was signed by Old Tom Morris, Alister MacKenzie and Dr. David Scott-Taylor. The 4th person at the dinner was Dr. Scott-Taylor’s brother. Tillinghast was nowhere in sight. 

Although there is a great deal more information especially about the relationships between Tilly, MacKenzie and Old Tom, I will leave those details for you to see when the details are properly and fully posted.

Here then is the chronology of events as told directly in the pages of the journal of Dr. David Scott-Taylor:

May, 4, 2011:
      “Mum gave me my mail at breakfast, got a letter from the United States. Tilly sent with a letter more like a book chapter about golf and cricket, also with 4 hole drawings in it. He promised them at Christmas, guess he forgot.
      “The road hole St Andrews, 4th Machrihanish, 11th Prestwick and Callender golf club, I guess Old Tom made an impression on Tilly the last visit here. I’ll put these with the other two he gave me when I met him, a nice set they’ll make too. All signed by Tilly 1901. By the looks of things Tilly will be here on July 1st so lots to catch up on and he wants to see a first class match whilst he’s here.
      “Must remember to ask Mac next week about the next Roses match at Headingly or Old Trafford and if there is one, can we get Tilly there.”

So Tilly mailed the sketch of the Road hole to him and he received it on May 4, 1901. Two things to note: First that he was planning on asking “Mac” to make arrangements for Tilly to attend a cricket match. A later page details this as actually happening. Second, that it states that it was signed by Tilly “1901.” On the sketch you will see that the word “May” has been added. It is believed that Dr. Scott-Taylor himself wrote that word in possibly to provide a more exact date for when he received it.

May 11, 2001:
      “Well after we finished we down to Old Toms shop in The links Close, you can’t miss it, it has a street lamp outside it, that just happens to light the shop sign, a standing joke with Old Tom who knew the town engineer.
      “I had A.W.Tillinghast’s sketch of the road hole with me and asked Old Tom what he thought and would he sign it?
      “The gruff old bugger looked at me and then the sketch “Mmmm” he said, “does it really look like that to an American now?”
      “He looked at me again and chuckled” I sign it wee David for a price of a dinner,” Done’ said I.’
      “When I told Old Tom that Alister MacKenzie would be there, he gleamed with a mischievous look I have not seen before or since. I also offered Andra [Andra Kirkaldy who is also mentioned by name as being there in the shop] to join us but he had a previous engagement at the Royal Hotel.  Tom explained “drinking buddies.”

Further down:
      “At Dinner Old Tom and Mac where deep in to golf course design and what each would do with ‘Hell’ bunker on the old course, I took this opportunity of pushing Tilly’s sketch up the table to the jousting heroes. 
      “Mac and Old Tom dissected then the Road hole with its good and bad points, the green shape, the Road bunker, my brother was so bored he left for bed, excused himself and left.
      “The Table of three where left to our own devices and conversation.
      “At the end of the night we all laughed loudly, it was a good night.
      “I asked Old Tom to sign the drawing as agreed and to my surprise Mac insisted to add his signature to the drawing. 
      “What a collection for me, and one for the scrapbook, with a grand after dinner story for the future.”

So here we see that the story behind Dr. Scott-Taylor having taken the sketch into Old Tom’s shop, asking him to sign it and agreeing to do so for the price of the dinner is correct and that there actually was a dinner on May 11, 1901, at the “Scores” Hotel at which the sketch was signed by Old Tom and Alister MacKenzie.

May 28, 1901:
      “Got a parcel from Tilly yesterday with the medical journal in it I asked him to get. Will read it in the train on way down.
      “I also got a note from him thanking me for my hospitality in St Andrews, typical of him. He’s a good friend.”

So here we see the irony of the thank-you note. It was written by Tilly on May 12th and because it was in the family documents it became assumed that the reference to the “hospitality in St. Andrews” was referring to the dinner from the night before on May 11th. That is also how the family mixed in Tilly to the dinner by the mistake of not having reviewed the journal pages themselves for a number of years. By that I’m not even beginning to imply that this is their mistake, rather it is stated so that an understanding of how the mistake occurred may be understood by all.

In addition, when you get to read the actual journal page I’m quite certain that all will be intrigued by the reference to what was contained in the medical journal that Tilly sent him.

July 20, 1901:
      “An old friend arrives today with his wife whom I have not met, so this will be a first.
      “The telegram said the ship was to arrive today in Liverpool at the Cunard docks. Tilly and his wife are traveling first class on the Campania, very posh.
      “Arrived in Liverpool around 3pm when I got out of the Station I bought a Daily Post afternoon edition for a read and to see if the Campania had arrived. After finding a café on the High St for tea and bun, I walked over to the hotel. As elegant as ever ‘The Midland’ all the attendants rushing around in white coats very posh indeed. I enquired at the desk if Mr. & Mrs. Tillinghast from America had arrived.
      “The desk clerk informed me they had and he would inform them I was waiting.
      “I felt I was in Parliament.
      “I sat in the foyer waiting for them reading the days news of which there wasn’t much apart from the House of Lord sitting on the Taff Valley case and Morocco signing a deal with France. Tilly walked up with this elegant lady. After our greeting of old friends Tilly introduced his wife Lillian, she was timid and to me a little shy of Tilly. Mmm got me wondering that did.
      “By the sound of things they had a good passage and where glad to be back on dry land.
      “I thanked Tilly for his drawings and told him about the Old Tom dinner, he laughed, and remarked, he would have loved to have been there to join in the discussion.  He remarked he was looking forward to seeing Old Tom and chatting. I‘d like to be a fly on the wall for that I think, so would Mac. Now there’s a dinner table.
      “He also asked if I got the Journal on Heart surgery. I said I did and thanked him for it along with the note. I also informed him of Mac’s (Alister MacKenzie) invitation to Old Trafford on the 25th to see Lancashire and Gloucestershire play cricket and to Leeds to visit Mac before they traveled north to Scotland.

Further down:
      “Tilly was excited in both, though I think Lillian was not as pleased. I think this trip is going to be hard for her, Tilly is quite enamored with the golf course visiting. He produced this box thing, a camera he said looked more like a box for holding tea in to me, well there you go.”

It ends with this observation:
      “I left Tilly sitting in the Lounge ordering another brandy and soda. I just managed to catch the Mail train from Lime Street to Crewe. I got home at about 1.30 am exhausted from the evenings events. It was wonderful to see Tillinghast again and meet Lillian, with much pondering on the train home, she has her hands full and the golf world has a genius or mad man knocking at the door, only time will tell.”

So here we see that the date Tilly arrived in Liverpool matches exactly with the date in the Journal and that both the dinner with Old Tom & MacKenzie and the receiving of his thank-you letter was discussed.

With Ran’s permission I am preparing detailed corrections to the essay that will be inserted and replace the mistaken passages mentioned above. These will include photographs of the actual journal pages so that all will have an opportunity to judge their veracity for themselves and to compare the quotations I cited from them above for accuracy. I will refrain from answering any questions until that is put up as my answers will only reflect the information found there. I would suggest that questions hold until it is put up.

I will, though, answer one of the questions already raised right now. I’m doing so because the answer has been sitting in the wonderful Ed Oden thread “A Compilation of Routing Maps, Plans and Architectural Drawings.” I received the following from Mike Cirba who found it, but first the questions/comments that it answers:

Niall Carlton commented in post #21:
Secondly, the Road Hole sketch defines the fairway. Off the top of my head I'm not sure I've seen this before on sketches of this type. Could be wrong but I thought there was lack of definition back then due to sheep and other grazing animals being unable to graze in a straight line   

David asked this in post #22:
If anyone has any examples of Circa 1900 sketches that include specific fairway lines and/or detailed drawings of the shapes of the tees, I'd love to see them.

I believe this is a proper answer. It is found on page 14 of the thread, comment #347. Cristian’s text accompanying it says, “This is a picture of the 1898 routing of RSG (Sandwich), which is visible on the wall of the men's locker room. It is a beautiful copy of a drawing which my photo does not do justice (especially holes 13 and 14).” Note the fairway lines:

Once again my apologies for making these mistakes. They were made solely by me and I own them. Any criticism for making them is deserved and accepted.

Craig Disher

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2014, 07:50:26 AM »
Three photos of the area around the 17th hole.

1891 - I believe this was taken from the 2nd tee.

D_Malley

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
wait................. does this mean that Tillinghast designed Merion?   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back