News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Two Tillinghast treasures seen here and now for the first time
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »
I hate to pile in with more cirscuspectual stuff, but...

Fristly I must admitt that I haven't read either biography of Old Tom but...

Is it likely he would have attended a Dinner in a hotel?   Until about 1980 proffesional Golfers wern't even welcome in the Clubhouse.  I can image MacKenzie in his Kilt and Tillinghust in a DJ, but did Old Tom wear anything but tweed?  I am sure he dinned at the table of his friends like Lord Leitrim, but Hotels were the last repositories of snobbery.  The story reads like a lost Chapter from Tommy's Honour.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Phil Young

« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »
This will be but a brief note. I promised that I would spend a good deal of the day today responding to past posts and answering questions. Unfortunately I will be unable to. I mentioned in my earlier post that I was unavailable on Friday due to a personal matter. This was due to my oldest son undergoing more than 6 hours of complicated oral surgery. Today he is having complications and so I have to help him deal with these.

My apologies and hopefully tomorrow I can get back to the fray...

Michael Moore

« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2014, 05:02:35 PM »
Game Point Bonnar!

Why are you so gleeful about this?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2014, 12:15:11 AM »
Game Point Bonnar!

Because Martin's discovery was a revelation and one that takes us a big step closer to establishing the truth.

I know for a fact that Tommy is not in the least gleeful about some of the game's leading historians having damaged their reputations (irrevocably?) by their unquestioning backing for this story and their scornful dismissal of any suggestion that things may not be as they seem.

That is a spectacle no-one could or should be gleeful about. Neither is the current situation of Ian Scott-Taylor.

Establishing the truth is what matters. That and the well-being of Phil's son.

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2014, 02:02:57 AM »
Thanks Duncan!

Some people just can't get over rejection.....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2014, 02:09:37 AM »
Game Point Bonnar!

Because Martin's discovery was a revelation and one that takes us a big step closer to establishing the truth.

I know for a fact that Tommy is not in the least gleeful about some of the game's leading historians having damaged their reputations (irrevocably?) by their unquestioning backing for this story and their scornful dismissal of any suggestion that things may not be as they seem.

That is a spectacle no-one could or should be gleeful about. Neither is the current situation of Ian Scott-Taylor.

Establishing the truth is what matters. That and the well-being of Phil's son.

Duncan which of Phil's posts are "scornful"?  To me it does seem the heat has come from one side in this debate.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2014, 02:31:20 AM »
Tony,

It wasn't necessarily Phil and it wasn't necessarily on the open forum...

David_Elvins

« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2014, 04:49:45 AM »
Too obvious a fake for mine.  Most likely this  'controversy' has been constructed deliberately to keep the GCA folk busy whilst Hawtree builds an island green on The Old Course.  

And it's working perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:10:30 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

DMoriarty

« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2014, 11:17:32 AM »
Phil,  I hope all is well with your son and family.   

When you are able to return to this issue, I’d like to add one crucial question the many above.  This one cuts directly to the heart of your assertions about provenance, possession and control of the Scott-Taylor material.

Isn't it true that you have previously represented that the Scott-Taylor Material was actually stored in a box underneath the bed of Ian Scott-Taylor’s mother?

Thanks.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Michael Moore

« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »
That is a spectacle no-one could or should be gleeful about.

OK, sorry for interpreting the meticulous parody letter as anything but a celebration of a world in which the Tillinghast minutiae is increasingly error-free.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2014, 05:41:19 AM »
Post deleted on reflection as inadvisable
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:53:26 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2014, 05:52:11 AM »
Yes, it sure seems like folks are enjoying this, despite claims to the opposite.  Otherwise, why all the chatter and "jokes"?  Let Phil respond.  If folks aren't careful, nobody will want to present any historical info on this site.  And who could blame them they way folks carry on?  A mistake is a mistake. Let Phil take as long as he needs to sort stuff out.  What is the hurry anyway?  You lot make bloodhounds seem chilled.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2014, 05:47:36 PM »
Mike,

Here's a list of Tilly courses on which have hosted major and other USGA national championships. It doesn't include those such as Bethpage & Baltusrol where future ones already have been scheduled:

Baltimore CC (5 Farms) – US Women’s Open, US Amateur, PGA Championship
Baltusrol (Lower & Upper) – 5 US Opens, 3 US Women’s Opens, 2 US Amateurs, PGA Championship
Bethpage Black – 2 US Opens
Bethpage Red & Blue - US Public Links
Brook Hollow GC – US Men’s Mid-Amateur
Cedar Crest GC – PGA Championship, US Public Links
Fresh Meadow CC (NLE) – US Open, PGA
Golden Valley CC – US Girls Junior
Hermitage GC – PGA Championship
Indian Hills CC – US Girls Junior
Newport CC – Us Women’s Open, US Women’s Amateur
Oak Hills CC – US Boys Junior
Oaks CC – US Girls Junior
Ridgewood CC – Ryder Cup, US Amateur, US Sr. Open, US Sr. Amateur, Sr. PGA
Rochester G&CC – US Women’s Mid-Am
San Francisco Golf Club – Curtis Cup, US Sr. Amateur
Shawnee CC – PGA, US Women’s Amateur
Somerset Hills CC – Curtis Cup
Swope Memorial – US Women’s Public Links
Tulsa CC – US Women’s Amateur
Winged Foot GC (Eats & West) – 5 US Opens, 2 US Women’s Opens, US Sr. Open, 2 US Amateurs, PGA

It may not be a major but Scarboro Golf & Country Club (redesigned by Tilly circa 1925) in Toronto has hosted four Canadian Opens (40,47,53,63) won by Sam Snead, Bobby Locke, Dave Douglas and Doug Ford and the 1958 Canadian Am.

FYI - Stanley Thompson was designing Cedar Brook (later Cedar Brae) Golf Club across the street around the same time so it is possible that he met Stanley Thompson at this time.

But this thread seems to have gotten a bit beyond this issue.  :P

Jim Franklin

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »
Not sure if this was added but Baltimore CC also hosted a Walker Cup and the Senior's Players Championship.
Mr Hurricane

DMoriarty

« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »
Bump
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

David Harshbarger

« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2016, 08:53:51 PM »
Wow!

Take a break from GolfClubAtlas.com and who knows what you'll.  Looks like one heck of a kerfuffle, dustup, donnybrook damn! it's hard to write like it's 1901!

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

John_Conley

« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2016, 11:05:53 AM »
it's hard to write like it's 1901!

Nobody would ever need to.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back