News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Bergeron

Re: Feature Interview with Phil Young is posted
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
I had the pleasure of working with Phil on the Bloomfield HS Colt discovery. There is no finer man and we are blessed to have him back contributing to GCA.

Phil Young

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 07:41:25 PM »
Jeff,

I couldn't agree with you more. The biggest compliment Jeff gave me was when he said that I "didn't charge them enough." Of course he also refused my change order asking for more money...  :)

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »
LOL. Luv ya baby!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 04:09:59 PM »
"Fresh eyes".  I like that.  No preconceptions, no confirmation bias.  Allow the data sans spin to tell the story.  Excellent interview.

Unlike some archies, other than being challenging, but playable and usually attractive, Tillie's work doesn't betray a strong preference for a style.  His courses in Texas are not particularly strong in comparison to those in NY or at SFGC, but I always enjoy playing them.

We have a tendency here to criticize modern architects we don't like for their seeming inability to get everything done right the first time.  Tillie, Ross, MacKenzie, and other favored designers tinkered with some of their best courses for years, perhaps with that having something to do with why we love their course so much, and maybe giving hope that 25-50 years from now, we may not be so negative about Fazio, Nicklaus, Jones, et.al.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »
"Fresh eyes".  I like that.  No preconceptions, no confirmation bias.  Allow the data sans spin to tell the story.  Excellent interview.

Unlike some archies, other than being challenging, but playable and usually attractive, Tillie's work doesn't betray a strong preference for a style.  His courses in Texas are not particularly strong in comparison to those in NY or at SFGC, but I always enjoy playing them.

We have a tendency here to criticize modern architects we don't like for their seeming inability to get everything done right the first time.  Tillie, Ross, MacKenzie, and other favored designers tinkered with some of their best courses for years, perhaps with that having something to do with why we love their course so much, and maybe giving hope that 25-50 years from now, we may not be so negative about Fazio, Nicklaus, Jones, et.al.

Lou:

Its also important to note that the game of golf was changing at an exhausting rate during those early years.  Tinkering, in many cases, was as much an exercise in keeping up with the pace as it was trying to find perfection.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back