News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Tom Doak in France
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »
Tom,

can you explain your thoughts behind why you think a short blind shot into the green is less desirable than a long blind shot into the green? Of course in the old days the problem of a long par three was solved by calling it a bogey 4. Bit of shame the bogey score is no longer in fashion.

I still build a handful of holes on every course where the "bogey" score would be higher than par, whether it's in fashion or not.

As to your question, I don't see it the same way as you describe.  For me, the par-3 is not really a blind shot to the green, just because you can't quite see the surface of the green.  However, from fifty yards short, you would be staring up at a bank right in front of you and couldn't be certain what direction to go.  The latter is the sort of blindness that I think more golfers object to.

Thanks for the reply and explanation Tom. Makes sense from the point of view of different degrees of blindness,

Jon

Ryan Coles

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »
Was there much tree removal or is there more planned?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 05:51:27 AM »
Was there much tree removal or is there more planned?

There were some narrow, 20-year-old clearings to start with, made by the first guy who looked at putting a golf course on the property.  We routed to make use of those, as the further acreage of trees that could be cleared was limited by permit.  We have done a bit of selective clearing in the past month ... but not much of it on the holes in the photos.  I've played them a couple of times, and the only hole where the trees came into play was on #2 ... if you play a safe tee shot to the left you can go through the fairway there.

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 07:23:58 AM »
Tom,
Can you go into anymore detail about what it has been like to build and grow in a course that survives exclusively in rainwater catchment?
I'm assuming it required more time as you had to grow in slower, grassing smaller areas than you might if you had a more traditional water supply?

Any chance it could be done somewhere in the US?

Any impact on design? Does the course have a web of ditches that catch water course wide and deliver to one holding pond? Traditional Pump station type system? Thanks

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2014, 08:21:54 AM »
The greens are fairly difficult, but we have deliberately kept down the number of other hazards.  There are several holes where ditches or man-made streams come into play; these were made to collect all the drainage water from the site and recycle it to the irrigation reservoir.  [In Bordeaux, and maybe all of France for all I know, you are not allowed to drill wells so you have to collect all the water you can above ground; this is true for the wine industry as well as for golf, which is why vintages are so important for Bordeaux wine.] 

Artificial irrigation has traditionally been illegal for wine grown in France - the view is that the plant must source its own water if the fruit, and hence the wine, is to express the terroir of the site. This is slowly being relaxed, but I should have thought a top end area like Bordeaux would be among the last to change.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Steve Okula

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 10:19:10 AM »
Tom,

I see the mowing stripes on the fairways, didn't you once write that you'd rather not have those?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 02:27:34 AM »

I really like the understated look of this course; it is very appealing and clearly illustrates that pared down golf on a subtle piece of land can provide plenty of challenge and much interest. Adam Lawrence has included a very nice appraisal of the finished project in the most recent edition of Golf Course Architecture.

Tom,
It is often suggested that accomplished women golfers are reluctant to support shorter yardages on a course. At Saint Emilion, it is apparent that two very accomplished female players were in the inner circle of the development team. What influence or input did they bring to the project? Did they have an opinion on the length of the 5100 yard course?

With regard the greens, and while Adam has noted a few exceptions with greater accent, it does appear that most sit quietly within their surrounds. I have a sense these are not a usga profile. What approach did you choose for the greens construction to manage the heavy clay on this site?

Well done to your team.

Lyne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 02:53:52 PM »

I really like the understated look of this course; it is very appealing and clearly illustrates that pared down golf on a subtle piece of land can provide plenty of challenge and much interest. Adam Lawrence has included a very nice appraisal of the finished project in the most recent edition of Golf Course Architecture.

Tom,
It is often suggested that accomplished women golfers are reluctant to support shorter yardages on a course. At Saint Emilion, it is apparent that two very accomplished female players were in the inner circle of the development team. What influence or input did they bring to the project? Did they have an opinion on the length of the 5100 yard course?

With regard the greens, and while Adam has noted a few exceptions with greater accent, it does appear that most sit quietly within their surrounds. I have a sense these are not a usga profile. What approach did you choose for the greens construction to manage the heavy clay on this site?

Well done to your team.

Lyne

Lyne:

Thanks for the nice note.

The greens are actually built with a gravel layer and 12 inches of sand mix, as there was no material on site that was even close to suitable.  Making the transition from the green cavity to the surrounding native soils is tricky from a playability standpoint, but fortunately we have a client that understands the value of topdressing!

As to the forward tees, there was less input from the client than I expected.  Both Kristel and her mom have been playing the men's tees for most of their lives [and the same goes for Angela Moser, who worked on the project for us]; honestly, my own game has more in common with the average woman's than any of theirs  :)  They were all more concerned with the nature of the entrances to the greens, so that a long approach shot could be played to the hole, than they were with the total length.  The course is fairly short from the forward tees mainly because there are several holes where you have to carry one of the drainage ditches off the tee, and the forward tee is placed to make the carry reasonable for short hitters.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 04:58:31 PM »
Tom

Will the course be open to public play and will there be a hotel on site?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 05:36:37 AM »

Tom thanks for the feedback.

I am also interested in an opening date if you are in a position to share this.

Lyne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 10:26:52 AM »

I am also interested in an opening date if you are in a position to share this.

I don't know the opening date.  The last holes were planted very late last fall, so the full 18 will take a while, but they might open in the spring and then bring more holes online as they are ready.

The course will be open to outside play.  There won't be a "hotel", at least in the short to medium term, but some of the cottages will be available for rent.

mike_beene

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 12:25:32 AM »
I know this is a more wooded site with fewer bunkers, but the pictures remind me of Merion in some ways. That downhill par 3 looks like the downhill 9th.And the other pictures have the open rolling look.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2016, 10:44:32 AM »
Anyone know more? The website is keen to sell me a property but I'd rather try the course first if only I could get a price!

http://www.segolfclub.com/#!home-renting/bfft8

Will be within drivable distance on 9th and 10th of August and very keen to see it.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Daryl David

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2016, 01:45:14 PM »
Email golf@segolfclub.com and ask if you can play and what the green fees are.  You would have to shoot for the 10th as they are closed on Tuesdays.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »
Anyone know more? The website is keen to sell me a property but I'd rather try the course first if only I could get a price!

http://www.segolfclub.com/#!home-renting/bfft8

Will be within drivable distance on 9th and 10th of August and very keen to see it.

Tony:

The full 18 holes opened October 1st of last year.  Two or three of the holes at the far end weren't really ready for prime time, but it should be fine by August, or actually in the next month I would guess.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back