News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

I recently received a Blu-Ray 3-D DVD from  “iviewgolf.com”,  after the Principle of the company, Mark Pavy, introduced himself to our forum as a long time lurker.  Mark is one of a few new Australians to join the discussion and shares the intrepid quest to experience and share world golf adventures.  In his introduction to the forum, Mark explained that he was involved with production of 3-D video of famous golf holes around the world.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,240.700.html

Having now viewed Mark’s 3-D video of some great golf holes from famous - and some not so well known courses around the world, I am convinced that his approach and the technology can be a major technological innovation to study golf course architecture, and many associated fields of study, management, and marketing of both the courses and the game.

I viewed Mark’s 3-D video on an LG 3-D. 55inch, passive technology television, from about 12ft.  I have played some of the golf holes depicted.  I was stunned at how real the presentation of true depth of vision, scope and accuracy of the slope and contours of the holes I am personally familiar with.

What I take away from this experience is the opportunity to advance the understanding and appreciation for golf course architecture.  We have had many quality photo tours of some of the most important golf courses designed from classic past to new and modern designs.  Some of the best photo presentations have come from intrepid golfers like Mark Saltzman, Kyle Henderson, Sean Arble, Frank Pont and his photo architecture website, and professional photographer Aiden Bradley.  And, we have the artistic interpretations of artists like Mike Miller.  I only name some of the great posters that have offered and shared their work and depictions of holes they have visited and played around the world.

Perhaps the genre goes back to the early old black and white grainy photos that accompany the golf architecture writers of the classic era, and a major photo book that seems to have moved the interest of GCA forward with the publishing of “The World Atlas of Golf”.  But, there should be little doubt that photography and its advances like cell phone cameras always at the ready and handy, are major factors to disseminating understanding of GCA concepts, particularly when coupled with the internet and robust discussions of what images are shared.

But, the 2-D medium still leaves the challenge of understanding the key aspect of landscape design features and the essence of setting in nature in the way our eye grasps aspects.  This 3-D approach moves the medium forward by leaps and bounds in my view.

The proper use and production of 3-D as both an educational value and entertainment medium still is not cheap.  In a recent e-mail, Mark Pavy explained to me some of the limitations of television broadcasts and hurdles still not overcome and that failed in attempts to broadcast The Masters.  Yet, with proper set up and post production, what Mark has accomplished on the 3-D Blu-Ray I viewed is amazing and obvious in all its potential.  And, one can note that 3-D, HD home personal video cameras are ubiquitously on-sale at most big box electronic shops. 

As it relates to Golf Club Atlas, I hope Ran and Ben might be considering the future build-out of the website and overcoming any limitations on being able to post 3-D photos and video as the technology rolls out.  Of course there are capacity and cost issues in the immediate picture.  But, just like every other technology, bright minds are at work finding a way.  Ran’s introduction of the “State of the Game” feature is one example of the commitment to keep the website interesting and relevant.  I’m hoping some genius will figure out a way to bring 3-D to the internet in an affordable and functional way.  I have no doubt it is going to happen.

In the meantime, I suggest those of you who are interested, contact “iviewgolf.com” to see what is available and possible.   Just as we have had many threads over the years on GCA.com discussions recommending various books too numerous to mention, I am suggesting the 3-D Blu-Ray DVD atlas or index of great golf holes that Mark Pavy has put together.   It is now on my bookshelf right next to about 75 other books I have ordered and enjoyed, most of them on recommendations I have taken from discussion here on GCA.com. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Paul Gray

This iview thing is excellent. Slight technical glitch getting registered but this is an excellent tool.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mark Pavy

Just wanted to say hi and I will make an extensive post at an appropriate time about the iViewGolf project. In the mean time if anyone needs 3D Glasses, shoot me an email or PM with your delivery address and I'll post them to you.

Dan Herrmann

Mark was kind enough to mail me a 3D BluRay disc with 72 holes of 3D video.  Stunning.  Simply stunning!

I can't thank Mark enough for the disk, and I highly recommend his work to help in your appreciation of Golf Course Architecture.

Mark Pavy

As it relates to Golf Club Atlas, I hope Ran and Ben might be considering the future build-out of the website and overcoming any limitations on being able to post 3-D photos and video as the technology rolls out.  Of course there are capacity and cost issues in the immediate picture.  But, just like every other technology, bright minds are at work finding a way.  Ran’s introduction of the “State of the Game” feature is one example of the commitment to keep the website interesting and relevant.  I’m hoping some genius will figure out a way to bring 3-D to the internet in an affordable and functional way.  I have no doubt it is going to happen.

RJ, these words have been ringing in my ears for quite some time. The technical challenge of displaying 3D images was a conundrum that at the time of your post had not been solved. The compression method for the 3D image posed a technical challenge unique to 3D anaglyph images which rely on colour filtration to deliver separate views or images to each eye, our brain does the rest.

The good news is that recently some genius did solve this problem (not me) which does now allow for the viewing of 3D images in the manner you described- affordable and functional.

I've posted some sample images below, you will need some 3D anaglyph glasses, like the ones in the picture below, to get the 3D effect.
The images are too big for the sites formatting, I could format them for the 800 pixel wide constraint, however, that would diminish the quality and you wouldn't be able to experience one of the really cool options that is now possible- zooming and panning on a phone and tablet.

For the short term, I would suggest copying or saving the sample images to your phone or tablets image gallery to view them, this will allow you to swipe, zoom and pan. And, yes, I'm working on the next logical step. ;)

For best viewing, I'd suggest a high ppi (pixels per inch) screen with the brightness turned all the way up and make sure all the energy saving, auto dimming etc modes are turned off.

All feedback is welcome.

Enjoy!

These are the type of 3D Glasses you will need.

Sample 1

Sample 2

Sample 3

Sample 4

Sample 5

Dan Herrmann

Trust me, the BluRay was simply awesome

Paul Gray

Mark,

Don't know if you're aware of this now defunct site but I always thought a 3D version of Virtual Caddy would have a lot of merit. Anyway, I like the idea of educated commentary and thought you might appreciate this You Tube info vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hj1zrHPiOo
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mark Pavy

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link. It's certainly something that we may do in the future. We did some initial trials with 'educated commentary' and it turned out there were two schools of thought, some liked it and some thought it was a waste of time because the 3D imagery gives you a lot more information than a 2D picture. There was a recent thread that comes to mind by Mucci- Are Some Golfers Oblivious....
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59741.msg1408312.html#msg1408312
The time it takes to digest the information is also critical to an audience. Presently the entire course videos run for around 12-13mins each, the recent introduction of the still images provides a much faster, interactive resource which has proved popular.

You never know, I may put it on you one day to use your dulcet English tones!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back