News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Machynlleth?

"How do you pronounce Ma............?" I can hear someone ask.

"Where's the hell is it?" I can hear someone else think.

Well, I'm not going to tell you! Go look it up, but this is a little flavour of Machynlleth Golf Club.

The course is a rustic 9-holes, par 34, measuring 2863 yards (par 68, 5726 yds if played as 18 holes).

The course was laid out in 1904 by James Braid.

Here's a hint as to it's location - from Machynlleth station you can catch a train westwards and disembark immediately adjacent to the clubhouse at a favourite course of Bernard Darwin.

Here are a few photos - not much to say really, pretty self explanatory.

Clubhouse entrance and signs

The practice course - yellow flags in the distance

The putting green and, in first photo, the path to the raised 1st tee

Putting green with 9th/18th green in the background

9th/18th green - in the distance you can just make out on either side of the telephone post the other holes all at the bottom of the hill

Unfortunately time did not permit me to play the course, a flying visit, although the locals I met said the course plays nice and firm.

If you fancy finding out a bit more plus seeing some more photos this is the clubs website - http://www.machynllethgolfclub.com/

Rustic rural golf, golf pretty much as it's probably been since Mr Braid called by in 1904, lovely stuff.

atb

Thomas Dai

Re: Machynlleth GC - rustic rural James Braid - with some pics
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:38:37 PM »
The mention of unheralded English courses reminded me to add some additional photos to this wee flavour of Machynlleth GC in Mid-Wales.

A bit rustic, but there's golf in all sorts of forms all over the place if you look.

The first few photos are from the Clubs website, the last few from a golf mate. Wonderful colours as the ferns turn with the seasons.

If you're heading out towards Aberdovey or Royal St David's at Harlech or Borth & Ynyslas stop off at "Mach" as it's often known and experience what much inland golf was like before WWII. You'll probably meet some very nice dogs and sheep and Welsh folk while your there.

atb

Paul Gray

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
Thanks for this Thomas. Always nice to see such an unassuming place. Shame you didn't get to play it.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mark Hissey

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
Can we get a few of Porthkerry Park?   ;D

I recall about 20 years ago playing a course that was newly built and just east of Cardiff. Right on the Bristol Channel. Did it ever mature properly? I seem to recall it being very flat and bare.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:50:29 AM »
Mark, Porthkerry - Pembrey and the one on the sea front near Mumbles would be others. Used to be loads akin to them around, seemingly less so these days. Not like 'private members' Mach though, no sheep! I suspect the course you mention east of Cardiff could be Peterstone.

Paul, a mate played it recently. Described it, with a big smile, "as great fun but with greens about 4 on the stimp". Guess they need to sharpen the sheep's teeth :)

Here's Machynllech's location - http://binged.it/1tgyxtI

atb
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:58:10 AM by Thomas Dai »

Paul Gray

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »
You really shouldn't criticise such places.......so I will: the 5th photo suggests a little available width has been overlooked.  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 06:07:46 PM »
A recent trip across the mountains of Mid-Wales brought me unexpectedly to driving on the road that crosses Machynllech GC, laid out by James Braid nearly 120 years ago. 9-holes grazed by sheep, providers of the greatest of fairway and rough grass sword.
See also -https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.587797,-3.835438,194.53h,-10.03p,0.26z,r78wHZe3_re3e5acnZvXPg
Below are a couple of photos more recent to those posted above.
'Mach' isn't too far from Aberdovey, Borth and Welshpool whilst Kington and Llandrindod Wells aren't that far away either. If nearby or passing 'Mach' would make a nice 9-hole addition to a game at one of these. It's even accessible by train. I wonder if Bernard Darwin ever played it on the way to/from the course his soul liked the best?
Bliss.
atb

Thomas Dai

Re: Machynlleth GC - rustic rural James Braid - with photos
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 05:19:50 AM »
A few additional photos of Machynlleth from a recent visit ... note there are few different spellings ... Welsh/English kinda stuff.
Rural, rugged and slightly on the raw side, but not by much.
Terrific sword, delightful to play from, and super conditioning with all volunteer/members looking after it.
Some square greens, cut-n-fill aplenty, uphill shots, downhill shots, severe doglegs in places, crossing fairways, shots across public roads, open ditches and of course, sheep.
The kind of course that if it were on some Scottish island or a remote part of Ireland would have chapters in books written about it.
Well worth a visit if heading towards the course that Bernard Darwins soul loved the best.

atb

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 03:31:38 PM »
Thomas, thanks for more screensavers.
Did you ever find the correct pronunciation?
Thanks, Peter.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2023, 03:44:49 PM »

Thomas, thanks for more screensavers.
Did you ever find the correct pronunciation?
Thanks, Peter.

Not easy! This gives an idea - https://youtu.be/6BwGdOOPKPA - :) :) :)
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back