News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

Re: Pace of Play Recent Study and Data
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2014, 09:25:23 PM »
one of the things I realize when reading these GCA threads, is how we tend to make issues of our things because we look to rely on rules and policies instead of common sense.

I think 98% of all play-through issues could be solved if everyone followed 2 basic rules

1) treat others how you would like to be treated
2) Don't be a jackass.

At my club, if there is an open hole ahead of me and the group behind is player faster, then I let them through without regardless to group size, carts, age, pace of play, handicaps, gamling or zodiac sign.   I except the same courtesy which is generally given 95% of the time.

Similarly, there are no exceptions of this is a group ahead is waiting, other than for twosomes and singles to pair up.

If I am playing with guests who may be slow, I will inform the group behind me ahead of time and tell them they can play through at any time.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2014, 01:45:28 AM »

Similarly, there are no exceptions of this is a group ahead is waiting, other than for twosomes and singles to pair up.

???

Paul Gray

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »
Sean et al,

I didn't mean to imply that my 'honourable obligation' bit was taken, word for word, from the rules. Reading that particular entry back, I could have perhaps split one paragraph into two.

However, what the rules clearly do state, again, is:

It is a group’s responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through......

.......In the case of a serious breach of etiquette, the Committee may disqualify a player under Rule 33-7.

Now, it's absolutely true that there is some need to apply common sense when interpreting when and where you are actually obliged to call groups through. But let's be honest, the moment we begin to get liberal with interpretations, and this coming from an out and out liberal, we open up the possibility of people abusing a tried and trusted system. Most of us here would no doubt conclude that if we're in a fourball, are just about keeping up with the fourball in front and there is absolutely no one else on the course other than the twoball that suddenly catches us up, the decent thing to do would be to invite the twoball through. Now, I would suggest that the above quote from the rule book adequately and clearly deals with such a scenario. But that same clarity is exactly what causes many people to conveniently overlook or fudge the issue because it's not in their own short sighted, selfish interests to simply do as prescribed.   

In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Steve Lang

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »
one of the things I realize when reading these GCA threads, is how we tend to make issues of our things because we look to rely on rules and policies instead of common sense.

I think 98% of all play-through issues could be solved if everyone followed 2 basic rules

1) treat others how you would like to be treated
2) Don't be a jackass.

in regard to item 1 above, there should be some responsibility for the group playing through too... normally, if we're riding, we'll often just ride through, let the group finish out at their pace.. if walking, typically just get on green, say "Goog - Good" and move off ASAP..  playing one hole out doesn't matter if playing through is that important. 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mark Johnson

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2014, 08:45:25 PM »

???

This only applies on days when the course is crowded.   Usually, a capable starter/pro staff will prevent this issue before it begins

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2014, 09:13:29 PM »
I played a two day tournament this weekend. No one complained about pace of play because of lower expectations and everyone playing by the same rules. It was quite relaxing.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2014, 06:42:24 AM »

???

This only applies on days when the course is crowded.   Usually, a capable starter/pro staff will prevent this issue before it begins

Mark, I could not make sense of your sentence but it is a little clearer now.

Thanks,

Jon

Jason Thurman

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2014, 08:18:55 AM »
Sometimes it's good to just say "I was wrong."
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back