News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: 2015 King's Putter venue suggestions?
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
One of the problems with the King's Putter in the past has been that there is a rate for raters and a rate for civilians. At Barona we even had to form separate lines at the counter. Now if we were all equals and the event was held at Cabo I would be in no matter who I had to play.

One reason the 5th Major is such a success is that even the members pay the same as everyone else. All winners with one champion.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »
Cabo in late February would be even better, with improved access to other courses other than just CDS perhaps.
With a s ensible number perhaps a rotation of four different courses would be possible to attract just about anybody.
The two courses at CDS...perhaps the two at Diamante as the new Tiger course will be open, plus a choice of others ?????

Happy to put it together. Come up with dated that work for most and I will get it rolling.

As you may recall I hosted and event the "Tequila Cup" in January 2103 and had about 14 folks attend. Unfortunately our organization does not own/operate either of the hotels on site and those dealings became an obstacle for an annual event (I already battle through the politics and red tape for our collegiate golf event each year and another such scenario was not appealing  :-[ )

Michael's lineup looks solid and for those that wanted to extend there would be a couple more courses that should be visited, namely Quivira which is just above Diamante and Chileno Bay assuming they are finally able to whip the course back into passable condition.

There would likely be a Norman course a few months into construction near Diamante if a group wanted to arrange a walk about I imagine we could do so.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
One of the problems with the King's Putter in the past has been that there is a rate for raters and a rate for civilians. At Barona we even had to form separate lines at the counter. Now if we were all equals and the event was held at Cabo I would be in no matter who I had to play.

One reason the 5th Major is such a success is that even the members pay the same as everyone else. All winners with one champion.

At your suggestion if the event is in Cabo raters would pay the same as everyone else.

Civilians? really?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »

At your suggestion if the event is in Cabo raters would pay the same as everyone else.

Civilians? really?

Well that pretty much makes me obligated.

David Kelly

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 05:09:27 PM »
3rd Stop: On the way home, a quick nine holes in the redwoods at Northwood in Monte Rio. An unknown Mackenzie gem that gets little notice.

It gets little notice because what's left of Mackenzie there I can fit into my office.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

BCowan

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »
3rd Stop: On the way home, a quick nine holes in the redwoods at Northwood in Monte Rio. An unknown Mackenzie gem that gets little notice.

It gets little notice because what's left of Mackenzie there I can fit into my office.

Is the routing the same?

David Kelly

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »

Is the routing the same?

The routing is the same but the routing isn't really that interesting.  The greensites have for the most part been altered.  The course almost went fallow in the 60s and 70s and gradually they have shaped the place up but most Mackenzie features have been wiped away.

Still it is a different and interesting experience to play among redwoods-lined fairways that make Sahalee in Seattle look like the Old Course.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,28333.0
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

BCowan

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »
Can one say the same thing in regards to ANGC?  Thanks for the thread.  Wow, is that tight. 

Kyle Casella

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »
I could be easily enticed to go to Cabo if the dates work.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 06:03:17 PM »
Let the California people have first dibs, they started it and should keep it unless they decide to give it up.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 07:32:39 PM »
OMFG, the cement baron of America's rust belt is sniveling because a couple worker bees on a rating panel got a cheaper rate to play Barona how long ago? Like during the Clinton Administration?

I'll tell you what, since Chief Runamuck and his tribal minions had the audacity to charge THE Gillette Silver to play golf, I'll sport your fees the first day before I smoke you like a doobie at a Dead Show.

Actually, I have never gotten a free anything using either my card when playing in KP - or any other event. If somebody did, that is pretty inappropriate. I'll try to get the fees cheap enough at Sea Ranch, but good gawd, full boat is only $65. Like they are going to bang you another $65 to play 36 if we bring a group? I think not.

Cabo - I have to admit - sounds fabulous. A parade of smokin' bikinis apres golf works too. But the weekend will still cost some serious jing with airfare.   

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »
And David, I did not say Northwood is the 2nd coming of Crystal Downs, but the ambiance is unique and there is a touch more Mackenzie there than meets the eyes. Some of the grassed-in bunkers are obviously original given their orientation and placement.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »
OMFG, the cement baron of America's rust belt is sniveling because a couple worker bees on a rating panel got a cheaper rate to play Barona how long ago? Like during the Clinton Administration?

I'll tell you what, since Chief Runamuck and his tribal minions had the audacity to charge THE Gillette Silver to play golf, I'll sport your fees the first day before I smoke you like a doobie at a Dead Show.

Actually, I have never gotten a free anything using either my card when playing in KP - or any other event. If somebody did, that is pretty inappropriate. I'll try to get the fees cheap enough at Sea Ranch, but good gawd, full boat is only $65. Like they are going to bang you another $65 to play 36 if we bring a group? I think not.

Cabo - I have to admit - sounds fabulous. A parade of smokin' bikinis apres golf works too. But the weekend will still cost some serious jing with airfare.   

Still in.   Especially if there is some SF golf front or back. 

astavrides

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 09:11:39 PM »
Although Gib wrote up the suggestion very nicely, I don't like Bodega, Sea Ranch, or Northwood.

BCowan

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »
Gib,

''The Other One's Gathering''  8)

Alex Miller

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 09:38:49 PM »
Sad I could not make it this year. I would be in for Gib's proposal.

Another option for the March timeframe, which coincidentally is another weekend I missed out on this year, is Phoenix Arizona.

Wekopa
Talking Stick
and Spring Training too! I think there are night games so 36 holes and baseball could be had, but if that strays both geographically and spiritually from the KP I understand. Just a thought...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 10:58:26 PM »
Alex Miller
Sad I could not make it this year. I would be in for Gib's proposal.

Another option for the March timeframe, which coincidentally is another weekend I missed out on this year, is Phoenix Arizona.
Wekopa
Talking Stick
and Spring Training too! I think there are night games so 36 holes and baseball could be had, but if that strays both geographically and spiritually from the KP I understand. Just a thought...
 The first year at Streamsong was wrapped around spring training. Zero attended to my knowledge

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »
While I was putting together the 2010 KP up in Tahoe, I received a number of private messages suggesting we set up tee times at Cypress Point Club and the San Francisco Golf Club instead.  :D
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tim Leahy

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 04:01:30 AM »
King Gib's Putter sounds good for middle to end of April weather wise in NoCal to be safe. Gib, do you think a round at Olympic might sweeten the draw for out of staters.  ;D
Pete L., is Temecula a possibility for a warm inexpensive golf location near SD in Feb/March?
If the Tequilla Cup is renewed, I am in. Last one was great. CDS and Diamonte were awesome. Weather spectacular.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 05:17:51 AM »
While I was putting together the 2010 KP up in Tahoe, I received a number of private messages suggesting we set up tee times at Cypress Point Club and the San Francisco Golf Club instead.  :D

I'm in if they comp raters! ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
Pete L., is Temecula a possibility for a warm inexpensive golf location near SD in Feb/March?

If you're looking for mediocre golf and some great examples of Ted Robinson's "dark side", Temecula is the place! Weather there should be great that time of year.

Tommy had a coniption when I jokingly suggested we have the KP at Redhawk!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:28:09 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Frank Kim

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »
Mediocre is a good word to describe golf in Temecula.  The Golf Club of Rancho California is a RTJ Sr design and is decent.  There are 2 Art Hills designs Cross Creek and Journey at Pechanga.  Journey is actually pretty good is you can get over the poor routing that has you taking a cart back and forth.  Very pricey.  Redhawak a Ron Freem design is mediocre but reasonably priced.  Can't beat the weather though.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2014, 10:46:01 AM »
While I was putting together the 2010 KP up in Tahoe, I received a number of private messages suggesting we set up tee times at Cypress Point Club and the San Francisco Golf Club instead.  :D

And.....?

Frank Kim

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2014, 10:50:45 AM »
How about Clear Creek Tahoe?  It's across the California border in Nevada.  Tom Ferrell the membership director there has invited the GCA before.   

BCowan

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »
How about Clear Creek Tahoe?  It's across the California border in Nevada.  Tom Ferrell the membership director there has invited the GCA before.   

there is a walking event there July 21st if anyone is interested. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back