News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

2015 King's Putter venue suggestions?
« on: June 03, 2014, 08:49:52 PM »
The limited turnout of 8 players at this year's King!s Putter was somewhat disappointing. Our esteemed Captain of the North team, Pete Pittock suggested a return to earlier in the year would increase attendance. I tend to agree that scheduling the Event while it is still cold in the rest of the country would help bring people to the sunny southwest. Since it's the Souths turn to host next year I am open to any and all suggestions. The real problem is the price is high in the winter in So Cal and Az and the weather is probably too cold to try places like NM. Here are some possibilities:

Return to the site of KP I, Barona Creek, the hotel would be a great place to have our headquarters, however we would need to negotiate a decent rate as weekend green fees are $126.

The McDowell Indian Reservation would make a great headquarters with two top notch courses, We Ko Suaro and Cholla; again a triple digit green fees could be an issue.

Would the weather be good enough to try Apache Stronghold?

There are 27 holes at the Baja Mar resort near Encinnada Mexico about 1.5 hours from SD; we could hire a bus to take the entire group across the border avoiding any unpleasant encounters. A side trip to Tihahuana CC just over the border could be interesting.

The Palm Springs area has lots of option from expensive like La Quinta to reasonable like the Indian Wells Resort with their two revamped Ted Robinson courses, the Celebrity and the Classic. Desert Willow also offers two courses as does the Desert Springs Marriott, with two breathtaking examples of Ted Robinson's most hideous work!

Let's hear where you would like to play.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:55:42 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jackson C

Re: 2015 King's Putter venue suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:00:22 PM »
Hi Pete,

I agree a Feb/March event in Southern California or Arizona would be very attractive.
Las Vegas would be an excellent location as well.

"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »
 8) Pete,

I'd come to Barona Creek for a KP event, or the other SoCal venues, but not interested in putting one penny into Mexican economy. :o
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:42:09 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
Definitely time for a return to California. 

Brent Carlson

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:24:44 PM »
Rustic Canyon is very desirable.  Another course(s) could be added.

Brian Finn

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 09:51:22 PM »

I played Soule Park in the AM and Rustic PM one day in mid January.  I thought it was a nice combination, particularly in that order. For those not familiar with Soule Park, check out Mark Saltzman's photo tour. 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56431.0.html

Of course, Ojai is nearby as well, although I have not played it.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 10:06:39 PM »

I played Soule Park in the AM and Rustic PM one day in mid January.  I thought it was a nice combination, particularly in that order. For those not familiar with Soule Park, check out Mark Saltzman's photo tour. 

That was a Kings Putter line up not long ago, with Sherwood tacked on at the end. 

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 10:37:45 PM »
We have done the Rustic, Soule Park combo before but I wouldn't hesitate to return there. Ojai Valley Inn is very good but pricey. La Purisima could figure in the mix; pinots and dinner at the restaurant from Sideways?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 10:47:14 PM »
We have done the Rustic, Soule Park combo before but I wouldn't hesitate to return there. Ojai Valley Inn is very good but pricey. La Purisima could figure in the mix; pinots and dinner at the restaurant from Sideways?

The Hitching Post?  I'm not drinking any F****** merlot!!!!

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 11:51:59 PM »
A reprise of Barona - or even Stevinson Ranch might work. Here is one out of left field that I guarantee would knock everybody's dick into their watch pocket for pure adventure:

Everybody convene in San Francisco and caravan north.

1st Stop: Bodega Bay - full blast climb into the clouds and a wild tumble all the way to the foggy beach. Maybe not a great golf course, but an opening gambit guaranteed to start an argument.

2nd Stop: Sea Ranch - up the windswept coast 90 minutes to a terrific golfing outpost. Renting a couple roomy houses within walking distance is cheap and easy. Personally, I love this course; in the interest of full disclosure, the back nine was designed and built by our Neal Meagher some years after Bob Graves completed the front side.

3rd Stop: On the way home, a quick nine holes in the redwoods at Northwood in Monte Rio. An unknown Mackenzie gem that gets little notice.

Since there is no driving involved after golf, I envision a margarita blast around a fire pit, cooking obscenely large and juicy steaks, washed down with a parade of spicy Zins and Cabernets so nasty-ass they torch your nose hairs with a single sniff.

Thick sweaters, flasks of single malt and a post-match skins game with dollar junk, officiated by Pete Lavallee in his inimitable courtly manner.

A gathering of such gravitas that even the Evil Leprechaun makes his triumphant return - in a match against Barny in which Huck kicks his ass 7-6.

Huntley will be picked up from his castle and transported with the group, serving as Honorary Team Captain for both sides (to ameliorate the inevitable squabbling over him).

Dan King will preside as, well, King. Named Dan. Except like waaaay skinnier than before.

A moment of silence before every match shall be observed in memory of Tiger Bernhardt, followed by a mandatory dram or two at the turn. Hopefully the chick behind the bar is hot, because gawd knows John was a connoisseur of both.

That is all.     

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 11:54:26 PM »
A reprise of Barona - or even Stevinson Ranch might work. Here is one out of left field that I guarantee would knock everybody's dick into their watch pocket for pure adventure:

1st Stop: Bodega Bay - full blast climb into the clouds and a wild tumble all the way to the foggy beach. Maybe not a great golf course, but an opening gambit guaranteed to start an argument.

2nd Stop: Sea Ranch - up the windswept coast 90 minutes to a terrific golfing outpost. Renting a couple roomy houses within walking distance is cheap and easy. Personally, I love this course; in the interest of full disclosure, the back nine was designed and built by our Neal Meagher some years after Bob Graves completed the front side.

3rd Stop: On the way home, a quick nine holes in the redwoods at Northwood in Monte Rio. An unknown Mackenzie gem that gets little notice.

Since there is no driving involved after golf, I envision a margarita blast around a fire pit, cooking obscenely large and juicy steaks, washed down with a parade of spicy Zins and Cabernets so nasty-ass they torch your nose hairs with a single sniff.

Thick sweaters, flasks of single malt and a post-match skins game with dollar junk, officiated by Pete Lavallee in his inimitable courtly manner.

A gathering of such gravitas that even the Evil Leprechaun makes his triumphant return - in a match against Barny in which Huck kicks his ass 7-6.

Huntley will be picked up from his castle and transported with the group, serving as Honorary Team Captain for both sides (to ameliorate the inevitable squabbling over him).

Dan King will preside as, well, King. Named Dan. Except like waaaay skinnier than before.

A moment of silence before every match shall be observed in memory of Tiger Bernhardt, followed by a mandatory dram or two at the turn. Hopefully the chick behind the bar is hot, because gawd knows John was a connoisseur of both.

That is all.     

In.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 02:10:34 AM »
You pretty much need a bucket list type couse to attract those of us from other places to make the trip while keeping costs down.

Shoulder season Palm Springs might work in late April.  The only bucket list couses i know of there would be pga west stadium and stoneeagle.  The weather is shaky enough for many of us at home at that time to make travel attractive. 

St george utah also could work. Costs are relatively low, Sand Hollow makes it a worthy bucket list course and Vegas as an airport destination increases its attractiveness   

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 02:24:42 AM »
Just so we can have the same weather we had this weekend, thanks to Richard Choi's great planning.

As a disclaimer as I am one of many esteemed north captains in King's Putter history I was put on the south team and rode the coattails of Michael Essig to a 1-0 record.

The only drawback to AZ or NM is the travel time for NorCal participants. 

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:46:59 AM »
 8) Pete, whine about Norcal travel time ??.. and you expect anyone eastof the Rockies to attend??
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »

That is all.     

In.

In, too.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »

That was a Kings Putter line up not long ago, with Sherwood tacked on at the end. 

Yeah, the guys that put that one on were real pieces of work. Keep them away from the planning on this one....they'll just f**k it up! ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »
Cabo or Palm Springs would interest me.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BCowan

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 11:27:11 AM »

That is all.     

In.

In, too.

In

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »
While traffic could and more than likely would be an issue, how about flying into LA, staying in Orange County and playing Barona one day and Rustic Canyon the next.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 12:39:38 PM »
I'm out.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »
Okay Barny, then you can play me instead. I've got a giant horse cock where my putter grip used to be and feeling pretty chesty for an Armenian with a golf swing that makes Allen Doyle look like Tom Weiskopf.

You can play incognito as Gillette Silver, since the gang already knows the identity of Jaka b.  Show up in whichever incarnation you like and prepare to be soundly thrashed. I throweth downeth the gauntleteth. Not sure if that is correct Shakespearian lingo.

My suggestion would be to gather en masse the night before at Tommaso's in North Beach for wood fired Italian. Eat an early dinner and blast straight for Bodega to play early the next day. The afternoon winds there can be a bit much, even for us low-ball hitters.

Houses that sleep eight go for $250 a night in Sea Ranch, so the accommodations are essentially free. If we BBQ both nights, the only significant cost is fine wine and green fees, which are quite negotiable given the remote location.

My corporate AmEx includes insurance for $4, so my thought is to rent a couple Suburbans and maybe a chase car to save gas. I've been on the proverbial wagon for quite a while, so one more designated driver might be in order.

I think everybody would dig Northwood and there is a pretty decent restaurant patio set up there to heckle groups as they arrive. Monte Rio is the capital of Lesbia, which might be a bit of culture shock to the Midwesterners, so best to save off color comments for the ride back.          

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
It may be hard to determine if So Cal or No Cal is the host. The 2103 version in Cayucos can be claimed by both divisions. If the mediumly deranged Armenian can get it (this) together, IN.

As far as the baysters traveling is concerned it seems like they leave home at 3am ish and drive straight to the event then drive straight back with nary a lost work day.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »
Cabo in late February would be even better, with improved access to other courses other than just CDS perhaps.
With a s ensible number perhaps a rotation of four different courses would be possible to attract just about anybody.
The two courses at CDS...perhaps the two at Diamante as the new Tiger course will be open, plus a choice of others ?????

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
Okay Barny, then you can play me instead. I've got a giant horse cock where my putter grip used to be and feeling pretty chesty for an Armenian with a golf swing that makes Allen Doyle look like Tom Weiskopf.

You can play incognito as Gillette Silver, since the gang already knows the identity of Jaka b.  Show up in whichever incarnation you like and prepare to be soundly thrashed. I throweth downeth the gauntleteth. Not sure if that is correct Shakespearian lingo.

My suggestion would be to gather en masse the night before at Tommaso's in North Beach for wood fired Italian. Eat an early dinner and blast straight for Bodega to play early the next day. The afternoon winds there can be a bit much, even for us low-ball hitters.

Houses that sleep eight go for $250 a night in Sea Ranch, so the accommodations are essentially free. If we BBQ both nights, the only significant cost is fine wine and green fees, which are quite negotiable given the remote location.

My corporate AmEx includes insurance for $4, so my thought is to rent a couple Suburbans and maybe a chase car to save gas. I've been on the proverbial wagon for quite a while, so one more designated driver might be in order.

I think everybody would dig Northwood and there is a pretty decent restaurant patio set up there to heckle groups as they arrive. Monte Rio is the capital of Lesbia, which might be a bit of culture shock to the Midwesterners, so best to save off color comments for the ride back.          

Still in.  Avoid May as I plan to be in Scotland.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back