News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Russ Arbuthnot

Re: 5th Annual Midwest Mashie (Oct. 4-5th) Canterbury GC! - THE FINAL PUSH!!!
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
Are there any players from the West confirmed?

BHoover

« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
I am EAST (live in Columbus).  But last year I went to the West because not enough of their players showed up.  Looks like a similar debacle this year, so I'm willing to bite the bullet if necessary and play for the West if needed.

Michael Marzec

« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »
Another Easterner here (Cleveland), but I have sufficient bona fides to play for the West if need be.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Ken Fry

« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2014, 04:12:24 PM »
I'm looking forward to playing on either team.  George, you do look a little lonely on the West Team at the moment!!

Ken

David Royer

« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »
I can play west based on the fact I live on the north west side of Columbus

Bill McKinley

« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2014, 07:31:32 PM »
The fact that I've seen all the entries, it does seem that it's highly Eastern folks that are signed up. Obviously I would be another East Guy.

George,

Looks like well have to change the dividing line for this years event. Looks like all the Chicago boys chickened out and aren't going to represent this year!
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2014, 10:19:55 PM »
I'm in Cincinnati, OH, but I am on the Westside of Cincinnati; birthplace of Skyline Chili and LaRosa's Pizza.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »
Looks like all the Chicago boys chickened out and aren't going to represent this year!

Guilty as charged!

Regardless of the numbers it should be a great event at a wonderful venue. Enjoy!

George Freeman

« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »
The fact that I've seen all the entries, it does seem that it's highly Eastern folks that are signed up. Obviously I would be another East Guy.

George,

Looks like well have to change the dividing line for this years event. Looks like all the Chicago boys chickened out and aren't going to represent this year!

Yes - it appears that my fellow west-siders are too nervous to travel into enemy territory...

Let's try this again: Canterbury Golf Club will be the new dividing line.  Please resubmit your new team allegiance and we’ll tweak if necessary.

One caveat:  Jason Thurman (I forget where he lives) will remain the East captain regardless of his geographical location.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »
Now WEST.

Erik Mosley

« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »
I'm southwest of Cleveland, so I'm a Westerner now (as will probably most Clevelanders I'm guessing).  Happy to be on whichever team needs me!

Billsteele

« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »
Columbus is slightly southwest of Cleveland. So, being a man of little allegiance, WEST.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »
I hate to see a three time East representative like Bill Steele relegated to play for the Dark Side. To me, continuity is more important than having the geography exactly correct. If others agree, my records show the following returning veterans (I've also slotted in rookies who have claimed one side or the other):

East –
Thurman
Fry
Finn
Cowan
Taylor
Sturges
Steele

West –
Freeman
Hoover
Arbuthnot (rookie)
Mosley (rookie)
Royer (rookie)
Marzec (rookie)
Titschinger (rookie - lives roughly three miles west of me - the dividing line in Cincinnati appears to be Mt. Airy Forest)

That leaves both teams with 7 players so far and McKinley, Jackson, Allen, Fuesnte, and Crowe left to be slotted based on geography or preferred allegiance.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
As an addendum, this also leaves us at 19 players. Do we have a 20th in the works to make things even? Bill McKinley mentioned in an earlier post the possibility of having a friend join - is that still an option? Could we recruit a member?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

C. Sturges

« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2014, 02:13:57 PM »
As the dividing line goes now, I am a west sider.  As Jason notes though I have played for the East the last two years.  I am happy on any side.  Any one interested in playing hickories?
Thanks,
chris

ps:  if anyone is coming into town early, I have a 8am tee time at Manakiki on Saturday.  It is an old Ross course on the east side of town.
just let me know.

Erik Mosley

« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2014, 02:33:17 PM »
My dad (15-handicap) lives in town and is free this weekend - he mentioned he'd be happy to fill in on either team if we need another person and can't find any other members to join.  No worries if it doesn't work out, but just thought I'd offer!

George Freeman

« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »
I hate to see a three time East representative like Bill Steele relegated to play for the Dark Side. To me, continuity is more important than having the geography exactly correct. If others agree, my records show the following returning veterans (I've also slotted in rookies who have claimed one side or the other):

East –
Thurman
Fry
Finn
Cowan
Taylor
Sturges
Steele

West –
Freeman
Hoover
Arbuthnot (rookie)
Mosley (rookie)
Royer (rookie)
Marzec (rookie)
Titschinger (rookie - lives roughly three miles west of me - the dividing line in Cincinnati appears to be Mt. Airy Forest)

That leaves both teams with 7 players so far and McKinley, Jackson, Allen, Fuesnte, and Crowe left to be slotted based on geography or preferred allegiance.

I like it!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ken Fry

« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »
I'm a 3 out of 4 year Team East member for the Midwest Mashie.  I'll go where needed but there's still that great desire to get Team East off the snide!!

Ken

Mark Jackson

« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
At this point, I can only definitively commit for the Saturday round and festivities. We have a newborn at home and I'm still working on a hallpass for the Sunday morning round. Either way, I'm looking forward to getting out and meeting everyone this weekend.

As to the team I would qualify for, I could probably find sufficient ties for either team. Currently, I live primarily south and slightly west of Canterbury, but my wife and her family are from the east side of Cleveland, so I could easily qualify as an honorary member of the East if more people are needed to fill out that squad.

Michael Marzec

« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2014, 10:14:26 PM »
WEST. And proud of it. I'll even bring my Oklahoma drawl.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2014, 08:48:11 AM »
I've never been happier for a handicap revision than I was today. My two best scores knocked out. In fairness to me, those scores were from 4 years ago, pre-childREN.

JLahrman

« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
I've never been happier for a handicap revision than I was today. My two best scores knocked out. In fairness to me, those scores were from 4 years ago, pre-childREN.

You've got scores from 4 years ago contributing to your handicap? That's not very many rounds posted, although as a parent of a 3-year-old and an 8-month-old I could certainly believe it.

I believe that a handicap should be based on the most 20 recent scores PROVIDED that they happened in the last calendar year. A score should be knocked off our handicaps after 12 months, even if it was our fifth-most recent round. If we're playing so little golf that that a 4-year-old score is one of our 20 most recent rounds, there is no reason to believe that we can play to the level that produced that score.

Anyway, I've been following this thread as a former Ohio resident who would love to be taking part in this event. Distance and two small kids are conspiring against me though. I hope everyone has a great time and that we can get a full report afterwards.

Erik Mosley

« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
Well, after 2 weeks of the best fall weather I can ever remember in Cleveland, it looks like Saturday is the day it turns...high of 52, windy, and some rain.  Accuweather has it feeling like 40 degrees at 4 pm...Looks like it's time to dig out the cold weather gear!

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
You've got scores from 4 years ago contributing to your handicap? That's not very many rounds posted, although as a parent of a 3-year-old and an 8-month-old I could certainly believe it.

I've got a 3-year-old and a 13-month-old. Between that, and 6 months of double mortgage in 2012/2013, there wasn't a whole lot of golf played. Didn't keep a handicap in 2012 and 2013. When I did play, it was formats that wouldn't have allowed me to post (scramble, etc.). Reinstated it this year because I knew I would play enough.

It also doesn't help that the course I've been playing the most has a very low slope/rating. I have some scores from that course that match scores from 3 years ago; but b/c of slope/rating, they have a higher Difference, and thus aren't in my top 10.

Only reason I can play this weekend is because my wife's family lives in Wooster, OH; Canterbury being slightly over an hour away. Good excuse to drop off the grandkids while daddy plays golf.

George Freeman

« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
Proposed teams have been posted to the first page of the thread!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back