News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Pretty bummed I cannot play in this event as I have my kids that weekend now. Oh well, KIDS FIRST!
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Bill McKinley

Gents,

We are eagerly awaiting this great event at Canterbury!!  Sign ups are trickling in and there's been a few phone calls and PM's about playing.  I just wanted to post this to make sure everyone is on the same page...

We posted the deadline to sign up on the entry form of 9/27, so there's still some time to get your entry form and deposit in.  But we are planning on a nice sized field, about 40, give or take, so if we don't get up to that number by the 27th, we will still take entries after the date.  You can always PM me or call the golf shop at Canterbury 216-561-1914 to let us know that you want to come or if you have any questions about anything. 

Thanks for playing and I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon!!

Bill
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

George Freeman

Bump
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jason Thurman

11 days out. I'm getting excited for the renewal of annual Mashie traditions like the West team shamelessly recruiting the club pro to play on their squad.

Have the captains been determined?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

George Freeman

Well - you're the captain of the East team...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jason Thurman

I don't know what happened to my teeth there, but you get the idea.

East teamers, if there's a Keegan to your Phil that you want to be paired with, let me know. Frank, I'm planning to shine up my blue and white grips for this team #BigBlueNation pairing in fourball if you're still in.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Frank Kim

Jason,

Unfortunately I'm out.  Family visiting that weekend.

Frank

BHoover

East teamers, if there's a Keegan to your Phil that you want to be paired with, let me know. Frank, I'm planning to shine up my blue and white grips for this team #BigBlueNation pairing in fourball if you're still in.

Will you wear a ten-gallon stetson like Hal Sutton?

Jason Thurman

Hoover, it's tempting. I haven't busted out my 10-gallon since back when we used to go bowling in college. I think it's warped all to hell, but I do have it. Still, Hal Sutton's team lost, so I probably shouldn't dress like him. Instead, I'll be carrying Apex irons in tribute to Ben Hogan, who is 3-0 as Ryder Cup captain. I'm also going to start PM-ing Bill to see if he can get the superintendent to cut down all the rough like Paul Azinger did at Valhalla in 2008. I'm too young to remember any other Ryder Cup-winning captains, so that's the only winning strategy that I've ever observed, unfortunately.

Frank, I'm bummed. I was looking forward to a 6&5 win and trying to get the Harrison twins to retweet word of our victory while we waited for the other fourballs to finish. I hope you and the family are well.

George, are you captaining the West? I think this should be the year that we begin announcing matches publicly. I will gladly sign onto GCA for 30 minutes once team rosters are finalized to live-post the fourball matches for Saturday, and I can't think of anything that would be more entertaining than putting the singles matches on the board after dinner and a few drinks on Saturday night, other than getting Ben Cowan drunk and then getting someone to insist that Muirfield Village is much better than Inverness.

George Freeman

Gentlemen -

We're getting down to crunch time.  If you plan on attending and have not done so already, please confirm your attendence with Bill (see post #87).

So far it looks like we have 15 confirmed.  There are MANY names on the "interested" list that have not yet given a yes or no.  Please provide that info over the next day or two.

Thanks!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Bill Seitz

I've been putting off the final decision as long as possible, but looks like I'm out this year.  Sorry, George.  Pretty bummed to miss my first Mashie.

Brian Finn

Gentlemen -

We're getting down to crunch time.  If you plan on attending and have not done so already, please confirm your attendence with Bill (see post #87).

So far it looks like we have 15 confirmed.  There are MANY names on the "interested" list that have not yet given a yes or no.  Please provide that info over the next day or two.

Thanks!

Gents...this year's host club is one you will regret missing...don't delay any further!
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Jason Thurman

I can't speak to Canterbury's quality - only my excitement to play there next weekend.

What I can speak to is the quality of the Midwest Mashie as an event. If you haven't attended before and are on the fence, you should feel confident that you'll be signing up for one of the most fun tournaments that can be found on GCA or anywhere else. The golf is relaxed and very fun, but still competitive. The fellowship is outstanding. There's just something special about spending a fall weekend in the final dregs of a dwindling golf season playing as part of a team with copious libations and storytelling following every round. In each of the two years I've attended, I've taken home a new favorite course or two, a new favorite beer or two, and a lifelong friend or two. You won't go home disappointed.

Ari Techner

Regretfully, I am out also.  Unfortunate work conflict.  Have fun everyone!!  Sorry I won't be able to join you guys. 

David Harshbarger

I am out with much regret.  Family obligations first.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Ryan Taylor

Jason,

I'll take one for the East team and pair up with my buddy Cowan. 

4 hours of pure bliss with discussion on the following topics: the merits of the semi-private model, use of trolleys in the US vs UK, maintenance practices in the 21st century, cartballers, etc, etc  ;)

Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Morgan Clawson

Sorry -
Can't make it this year due to death in the family.

Michael Marzec

Jason, I will speak to the quality of the course. Canterbury is a Golden Age gem. Herb Strong did a remarkable job working this course from the small amount of land he was given. 16 through 18 make for as good a finish as you will find on any course - 610-yard par 5, 230-yard par 3 and 440-yard (uphill) par 4. Canterbury is a beautifully rolling course that is imminently walkable and great fun to play. It has a solid set of greens that will challenge the best with the short stick.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/canterbury/

If you are on the fence, get down off on and get to Cleveland for the Mashie! You won't be disappointed.
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Brian Finn

Anyone planning additional rounds before/after the Mashie?  I am hoping to play a round or two locally before and after. Too much great golf nearby not to.  If anyone is interested in meeting up, please let me know.  Thanks.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

George Freeman

For all confirmed participants:  Please post on this thread which team you will be playing on (based on where you live).  In the past, Chicago has typically been the dividing spot and included in the West team.  Once the teams are set, we'll get some matches set for Saturday.

Confirmed participants are listed on the 1st post of this thread.

All others:  Please give a thumbs up or thumbs down as we're making final preparations for the event.

Thanks!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Russ Arbuthnot

East - representing Michigan.

Brian Finn

EAST

(Currently OH-based)

C. Sturges

East-last two years and want/need redemption!  Currently living in Cleveland.
I would be interested in more golf also, and am happy to help.

Thanks,
chris

Erik Mosley

Looking forward to representing the East (Cleveland).  Although I do live on the west side of Cleveland...

Billsteele

Re: 5th Annual Midwest Mashie (Oct. 4-5th) Canterbury GC! - THE FINAL PUSH!!!
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
North...no, that's the Dixie Cup. Let's go EAST.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back