News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Lloyd

Denver area golf recommendations
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:26:16 PM »
In 2 weeks I will be in Denver for a long weekend to golf with some slow-playing non-GCAers.  In addition to Commonground they want to play 2-3 of the following places -- any thoughts on which ones I should push for?

Fossil Trace
Evergreen
Broadlands
Red Hawk Ridge

Tom Ferrell

Re: Denver area golf recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
I personally think Fossil Trace is a blast!  Wouldn't want to play it every day, but for a quirky good time, it's great.

Evergreen is cool, just a step above pasture golf.  A couple of memorable holes (a Dell hole that is awesome!) and a bunch of forgettable ones.  But a spectacular setting and a break from "serious" golf.

Broadlands?  Don't do it.  If you're in that part of town, go immediately to RIVERDALE DUNES.

I would also skip Red Hawk Ridge in favor of BEAR DANCE, just a few miles further down the road.

HarryBrinkerhofDoyleIVakaBarry

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 03:19:12 PM »
RIVERDALE DUNES
BEAR DANCE
+1 ^ 100000000

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
Fossil Trace is wild, but definitely worth a play. 

CommonGround is great, although expect some weird conditions as they continue to recover from severe flooding and turf loss last season.  Still go, they need the money.

I will third Riverdale Dunes emphatically.  DO NOT play the other course on property (Knolls).  Dunes only.

Some places I've heard about but never been:

Wellshire (City of Denver course, Ross design)
Murphy Creek (A buddy played there and said it was good)

Hope this helps.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Peter Le

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »
I think you'll have a wonderful time at Commonground. I fully recommend Bear Dance and Murphy Creek. Tom is completely right about Riverdale Dunes - only the Dunes course. A course that's nestled in the foothills is Arrowhead Golf Club. Great views and definitely a course you won't find elsewhere.
PL
PL

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 08:43:14 PM »
I personally think Fossil Trace is a blast!  Wouldn't want to play it every day, but for a quirky good time, it's great.

Evergreen is cool, just a step above pasture golf.  A couple of memorable holes (a Dell hole that is awesome!) and a bunch of forgettable ones.  But a spectacular setting and a break from "serious" golf.

Broadlands?  Don't do it.  If you're in that part of town, go immediately to RIVERDALE DUNES.

I would also skip Red Hawk Ridge in favor of BEAR DANCE, just a few miles further down the road.

+1 on above. Beardance is a favorite. I also liked the Heritage at Westmoor and Murphy Creek.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 09:12:11 PM »
Another vote for Riverdale Dunes, Bear Dance, Common Ground (great tricky greens), and Murphy Creek.

Welshire is okay but I'd play the ones above before it

Fossil Trace is a "love it or hate it" course. So is Arrowhead. Non-GCAers tend to love these two courses because of the scenery.

Of the Denver area courses that haven't yet been mentioned I'd also consider Buffalo Run and Green Valley. It really depends in part on where you're staying and how much you want to drive. Courses are spread 360* around Denver

Here's a link to photos of the above mentioned courses:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631938905759/

David Harshbarger

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 10:01:38 PM »
If you haven't played an Engh course Fossil Trace is a good choice.  It's a fun course, no two ways about it.  Engh has a different sensibility, more punchbowls and collection areas, more whimsy, more fun. 

Your slow-playing non-GCA friends should enjoy it, and so should you!
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
I would be a huge fan of Jim Engh's stuff if it weren't for his patented "squiggle bunkers."

Green Valley Ranch is alright, although it possesses TWO of the worst holes I've ever played in 16 and 18.  16 is a medium par 4 with trees blocking nearly all approach angles.  18 is a crescent par 5 that is about 500 yards long as the crow flies, but it wraps around a swamp making it about 600 yards long.  It's narrow, there's no definition, there's OB left and swamp right, and the whole thing looks like an afterthought.  Other than that it's a great hole.

--Harry Vardon

Matthew Rose

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 12:41:45 AM »
I like Murphy Creek and Fossil Trace a lot. I also like Wellshire, Buffalo Run and Heritage at Westmoor, which is a Hurdzan/Fry near the Jeffco Airport.

I also like Plum Creek, which is an old Pete Dye TPC course that once had a Senior Tour event...  it can be had for very cheap these days.

Evergreen is in a cool place but I didn't think the architecture was that good.... if you play there, hope you get to see the elk grazing in the fairways. The blind par-3 over the boulder is pretty fun though.

I'd see what kind of shape Commonground is in.... it seems like it's always a sloppy, wet mess every time I go there, which is a shame.

Don't play Legacy Ridge, Thorncreek, Aurora Hills, Hyland Hills, or West Woods.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 12:53:03 AM »
Stay away from Broadlands....Tom, I agree on 16 at GVR.  I couldn't figure that hole out in the dirt, let alone with grass on it.  Half the trees were cleared before they settled on those stupid four...  Eighteen was better before they changed it for the Colorado Open, or whatever that thing was called...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 12:59:56 AM by Greg Chambers »
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 01:13:30 AM »
Another vote for Riverdale Dunes, Bear Dance, Common Ground (great tricky greens), and Murphy Creek.

Fossil Trace is a "love it or hate it" course. So is Arrowhead. Non-GCAers tend to love these two courses because of the scenery.

Agree with Stewart all in all.

Big fan of CommonGround and Murphy Creek. Riverdale Dunes is very solid.

Fossil Trace? My dad was "love it."  I was "hate it."
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Pete Balzer

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 07:53:14 AM »
The Ridge at Castle Pines North
Meadow Hills
Fossil Trace = "hate it"

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
I like Murphy Creek and Fossil Trace a lot. I also like Wellshire, Buffalo Run and Heritage at Westmoor, which is a Hurdzan/Fry near the Jeffco Airport.

I also like Plum Creek, which is an old Pete Dye TPC course that once had a Senior Tour event...  it can be had for very cheap these days.

Evergreen is in a cool place but I didn't think the architecture was that good.... if you play there, hope you get to see the elk grazing in the fairways. The blind par-3 over the boulder is pretty fun though.

I'd see what kind of shape Commonground is in.... it seems like it's always a sloppy, wet mess every time I go there, which is a shame.

Don't play Legacy Ridge, Thorncreek, Aurora Hills, Hyland Hills, or West Woods.

Hmm.  Every time I've played CommonGround (in season) I've found it to be decently firm for a parkland type course.   I had the misfortune to play the Colorado Mid-Am at Hyland Hills last year.  It is absolutely ghastly.  So was my game.

--Harry Vardon

Matthew Rose

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 12:32:24 AM »
Hyland Hills is ghastly.

I end up playing there a lot, unfortunately, because it's the closest course to where my folks live.

I don't mind the nine hole course on the property, but the full 18 is pretty Mickey Mouse. It looks like somebody redid a few holes in the 80s and not in a good way. 17 and 18 are just ridiculous.

Both times I've played Commonground were in the spring, which may explain my issues with wetness..... I'm gonna try to head out in July or August the next time and see how it is.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 12:57:59 PM »
Hyland Hills is ghastly.

I end up playing there a lot, unfortunately, because it's the closest course to where my folks live.

I don't mind the nine hole course on the property, but the full 18 is pretty Mickey Mouse. It looks like somebody redid a few holes in the 80s and not in a good way. 17 and 18 are just ridiculous.

Both times I've played Commonground were in the spring, which may explain my issues with wetness..... I'm gonna try to head out in July or August the next time and see how it is.

Yeah on the 18 hole course holes 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, 13, 15, 17, 18 are some of the worst I've ever seen.  Other than that the place is great.  The giant tree smack in the middle of 15 really does it for me.

--Harry Vardon

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 12:39:36 AM »
Stay away from Broadlands....Tom, I agree on 16 at GVR.  I couldn't figure that hole out in the dirt, let alone with grass on it.  Half the trees were cleared before they settled on those stupid four...  Eighteen was better before they changed it for the Colorado Open, or whatever that thing was called...

What and when were changes made for 18 at GVR? I worked there the summer the course opened and the hole has always been that way. From any tee other than the all the way back tips, there was some potential for a drive down the right side of the fairway to allow a second shot toward the green, all carry over the wetlands.

I didn't have a problem with 16, when it opened. Play to the left of the fairway, where the trouble is, and you had a clear shot to the green. Maybe the trees have grown since?

For a course out on the plains, there sure are a lot of trees right in the line of play out there ... 2, 7, 11?, 16. At minimum.

Doug Wright

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
In terms of overall golf quality, CommonGround and Riverdale Dunes are at the top of my list for public options in the Denver area. FYI CommonGround just reopened all 18 holes after losing 9 holes to last September's floods; don't know the condition of the flooded holes/greens but they do a solid job there maintenance-wise so it probably will be fine mid-June. Floods aside, I've never seen CommonGround wet or in anything but very nice shape. On the other hand, the Riverdale folks seem to prefer soggy as their conditioning of choice, especially for AM play. If I were visiting (and espeicially if I hadn't played an Engh course), I'd give Fossil Trace a try. It certainly is unique and the quirk can lead to a fun round of golf if you take it for what it is.

As for others, Murphy Creek and Bear Dance are good options, the latter if you're looking for a mountain-golf type experience without going to the mountains. Arrowhead is a very cool, beautiful and scenic property with a wasted effort of a golf course put on it.  Definitely a tourist attraction if you're so inclined--Red Rocks with golf instead of rock n roll. I love Wellshire GC though it might be advisable to wear a hard hat there as sprayed drives on this compact course can come at you from all directions on some holes.  There is still some Ross there (especially some of the wonderful sloped greens) but it's a parkland course that would not be particularly different than other courses you might play elsewhere. 

Not sure who is suggesting Evergreen GC to you--probably the first time it's been mentioned on this site. Exquisitely bad.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »
In terms of overall golf quality, CommonGround and Riverdale Dunes are at the top of my list for public options in the Denver area. FYI CommonGround just reopened all 18 holes after losing 9 holes to last September's floods; don't know the condition of the flooded holes/greens but they do a solid job there maintenance-wise so it probably will be fine mid-June. Floods aside, I've never seen CommonGround wet or in anything but very nice shape. On the other hand, the Riverdale folks seem to prefer soggy as their conditioning of choice, especially for AM play. If I were visiting (and espeicially if I hadn't played an Engh course), I'd give Fossil Trace a try. It certainly is unique and the quirk can lead to a fun round of golf if you take it for what it is.

As for others, Murphy Creek and Bear Dance are good options, the latter if you're looking for a mountain-golf type experience without going to the mountains. Arrowhead is a very cool, beautiful and scenic property with a wasted effort of a golf course put on it.  Definitely a tourist attraction if you're so inclined--Red Rocks with golf instead of rock n roll. I love Wellshire GC though it might be advisable to wear a hard hat there as sprayed drives on this compact course can come at you from all directions on some holes.  There is still some Ross there (especially some of the wonderful sloped greens) but it's a parkland course that would not be particularly different than other courses you might play elsewhere. 

Not sure who is suggesting Evergreen GC to you--probably the first time it's been mentioned on this site. Exquisitely bad.

Re:  Riverdale.  I played it in November and it was near links-level firmness (could be the time of year for sure).  In general, the evapotranspiration rates of Denver area courses in the summer sun and wind are insane, so you have to hammer it with irrigation at night just to get it through the day.  Thus many courses can play gooey in the AM and bouncy in the PM. 

--Harry Vardon

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 06:10:13 PM »

Re:  Riverdale.  I played it in November and it was near links-level firmness (could be the time of year for sure).  In general, the evapotranspiration rates of Denver area courses in the summer sun and wind are insane, so you have to hammer it with irrigation at night just to get it through the day.  Thus many courses can play gooey in the AM and bouncy in the PM. 

Tom, I've played Riverdale Dunes in November and yes it is better then because the irrigation is turned off! I've also played it in January and February, which actually is the best time of year to play it if the ground is thawed (or even if it isn't). In my experience, unlike many other courses in Denver that face the same issues (e.g. a nearby course, Buffalo Run), Riverdale Dunes is soggier than it should be, including later in the day. Even though I really like Riverdale Dunes (especially the "Doak holes"), because I prefer to play early, I have turned to other less worthy venues than Riverdale because I'd rather not play mud balls all morning. 
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »

As for others, Murphy Creek and Bear Dance are good options, the latter if you're looking for a mountain-golf type experience without going to the mountains. Arrowhead is a very cool, beautiful and scenic property with a wasted effort of a golf course put on it.  Definitely a tourist attraction if you're so inclined--Red Rocks with golf instead of rock n roll. I love Wellshire GC though it might be advisable to wear a hard hat there as sprayed drives on this compact course can come at you from all directions on some holes.  There is still some Ross there (especially some of the wonderful sloped greens) but it's a parkland course that would not be particularly different than other courses you might play elsewhere.  

Re:  Riverdale.  I played it in November and it was near links-level firmness (could be the time of year for sure).  In general, the evapotranspiration rates of Denver area courses in the summer sun and wind are insane, so you have to hammer it with irrigation at night just to get it through the day.  Thus many courses can play gooey in the AM and bouncy in the PM.  

Tom, I've played Riverdale Dunes in November and yes it is better then because the irrigation is turned off! I've also played it in January and February, which actually is the best time of year to play it if the ground is thawed (or even if it isn't). In my experience, unlike many other courses in Denver that face the same issues (e.g. a nearby course, Buffalo Run), Riverdale Dunes is soggier than it should be, including later in the day. Even though I really like Riverdale Dunes (especially the "Doak holes"), because I prefer to play early, I have turned to other less worthy venues than Riverdale because I'd rather not play mud balls all morning.  

That's disappointing.  It seems to be better than average soil for the Denver area.  I was looking forward to playing it in season.  I still will but I'll lower my expectations a touch.  Very interested to check out Buffalo Run and Murphy Creek.  Also that Heritage at Westvillemoorstead or what have you.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:46:11 PM by Tom Bacsanyi »

--Harry Vardon

Dave Herrick

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:33 AM »
I played CommonGround yesterday. The new greens were a bit slow, but they rolled smoothly. By and large the fairways on the holes that were flooded have recovered virtually completely. The short rough on those holes was still patchy in spots. I see no reason why the course in its present condition should be missed when visiting the Denver area for golf.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2014, 01:23:22 AM »
Bumping this thread.  The new greens at CommonGround are in great shape.  Also, I'll have to add Red Hawk Ridge (Castle Rock) to my recommended list.  Very fun Engh design which is basically a mountain course that's not in the mountains.  He kind of drives me crazy with some of his aesthetic preferences (e.g. squiggle bunkers), but his courses are just fun to play, period.

--Harry Vardon

Brad Tufts

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2014, 09:19:30 AM »
I've played pretty much all the decent publics around Denver by now...still have not done Ridge @CPN or Bear Dance, so they are for the next trip I suppose.

Count me as an Engh-fun fan...I always think of it like many of the holes inspire a slow head shake and smile as opposed to slow head shake and a frown.   I played Red Hawk Ridge and Murphy Creek (not an Engh) for the first time on my last trip, and really enjoyed both, despite poor weather. 

I liked Fossil Trace even though it took 5 hours to play on a Wed. afternoon.  My only beef was that the green on the canyon (with the excavators up top) hole was too strange for the pin position they had that day.

Here's a question....after seeing all the Broadmoor courses, and Four Mile Ranch an hour south...what's next to play in CO Springs?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Brent Hutto

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2014, 09:32:31 AM »
So if one found oneself in Denver with time for 2-3 days of golf, would just doubling up on CommonGround make sense? It sure sounds like as safe a bet as there is on the publicly accessible side of thing. And quite affordable, at least by the standards of this forum.

Maybe first day at CommonGround, go off for a Engh adventure the second day then a repeat at CommonGround on the third? Seems to maximize the value for money proposition while providing a certain range of stylistic variety...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back