News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Hillenbrand

Re: Introducing Sweetens Cove Golf Club in S. Pittsburgh, TN.
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
Ari,

Is this close to Nickajack Lake?

Rees Milikin

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »
Ari,

Is this close to Nickajack Lake?

The course is just about 12 miles west on I-24, the exit with all the gas stations, fast food joints, and wal mart.

Will Lozier

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
Ari,

At first glance, the greensites of the 4th & 5th look to me the most stunning of the nine.  Can you comment more on those?

Ari Techner

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:34 PM »
Ari and Rob,

Contrats!  The course looks wonderful.  Did you get enough land to build a second 9?  Was the concept from its origin 9 holes or planned for 18?  If staying with 9, are there plans to use a two-hole system with separate tees to provide a different second 9 experience?  I see the need for a TN trip next year.

Lou,

The original concept was 9 holes and at this time we plan to keep it that way. 

We are talking about different ways to provide the maximum amount of variety for people that want to stay and play 18+ holes in a day including maybe changing the hole locations during the middle of the day.  Thankfully the golf course itself provides a huge amount of variety so I doubt anyone will tire of playing the course even if they spent the whole day there playing to the same hole locations.  We also plan to provide enough different tees that the player can certainly choose to play each hole from a different tee the second (or third etc) time around.

Ari Techner

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »
Ari,

From the pictures this course looks like a tremendous amount of fun and exactly what golf needs in a course. Looking at the property on google maps it appears there will be a driving range south east of the course?

Ben,

Yes there will be a driving range and practice area to the south east of the course. 

We also plan to be very hickory friendly (and the course is perfect for it) and even offer the option for people to rent hickory clubs to play with if they so choose. 

Ari Techner

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »
Ari,

At first glance, the greensites of the 4th & 5th look to me the most stunning of the nine.  Can you comment more on those?

The 4th is a world class par 3 that can play anywhere from about 95y  to 210y depending on the hole location for that day.  The front short hole locations are blind from the tee while the back long hole locations are fully visible.  The middle hole locations are partially visible.  The green has alot of movement but you can reach most any hole location from most any place on the green with a good enough lag putt.  The one exception to that being a ball hit 70 or so yards short of the hole in the front left of the green would have a very hard time getting the ball close to a hole location on the middle back far right side of the green.  The tee shot is over a stunning waste bunker with a little Himalayas hill that makes that shot to the front of the green blind.  There is also a bunker behind the green and one small bunker just right of the green.  This par 3 offers more variety than any other I have ever seen and is one of my favorite holes on the course. 

The 5th is a world class short par 4 that is probably my favorite hole on the course.  It is about 285y from the back tee.  On your right and inline with much of the green is a massive incredible waste bunker that is shared with the 3rd hole.  There is ample fairway to the left.  The green is another stunner.  It has a lions mouth type shape to it with one of the neatest little bunkers I have ever seen in the middle.  It is angled sideways away from the line of play and has a pronounced spine running through it.  A very drivable hole with plenty of room that can also wreck your scorecard if you take it for granted. 

Ari Techner

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »
Ari, I recall seeing this on Eric Smith's facebook and commenting on how amazing it looked. For me personally, if I was to embark on that sort of undertaking, I would really want to feel the place was special. It certainly looks it. Best of luck to you!

Brian,

I feel the same way and as I said in my first post the fact that this place is SO special is the only reason I am involved. 

Rees Milikin

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »
How many waterfalls with the course have before it is all said and done?

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 08:26:31 PM »
Course looks great Ari, will have t check it out the next time I am passing though!
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Frank Kim

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »
Ari,

I really enjoyed the course when I played there in March.  Was the course renamed for the town of Sweetens Cove?  Congrats.

Frank

astavrides

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »
Pittsburgh, PA is the only Pittsburg(h) that has an 'h' on the end.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »
Ari,
    Congratulations for your preservation effort.
 I see elements of Wolf Point in the photos, width, centerline bunkering dictating choices, wild green undulation that presents backboards, no rough, etc. That's intended as a high compliment to the architect.
Someone else asked, and I may have missed the reply, have you room for a 2nd 9? Does it play firmly?
   I have yet to visit Tennessee. I have always wanted to do Memphis in May. Your project gives me another reason to visit. Congratulations again. Best of luck to you and Mr. Collins.

Ari Techner

Re: Introducing Sweetens Cove Golf Club in S. Pittsburg, TN.
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »
Ari,

I really enjoyed the course when I played there in March.  Was the course renamed for the town of Sweetens Cove?  Congrats.

Frank

Frank,

The course is actually named for Sweetens Cove Rd which is the Rd that the course is off. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed the course when you played it in March.  Hope to see you back when we open!

-Ari

Ari Techner

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »
Pittsburgh, PA is the only Pittsburg(h) that has an 'h' on the end.

I will have to make that change!  Thank you.

Ari Techner

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »
Ari,
    Congratulations for your preservation effort.
 I see elements of Wolf Point in the photos, width, centerline bunkering dictating choices, wild green undulation that presents backboards, no rough, etc. That's intended as a high compliment to the architect.
Someone else asked, and I may have missed the reply, have you room for a 2nd 9? Does it play firmly?
   I have yet to visit Tennessee. I have always wanted to do Memphis in May. Your project gives me another reason to visit. Congratulations again. Best of luck to you and Mr. Collins.

Charlie,

The course DOES play firm and one of our main goals is to keep the course as firm and fast as reasonably possible.  We will be much more concerned with it being firm and fast than it being "green". 

There could be room for another 9 with some land acquisition but for now we plan to keep the course 9 holes.

Hope to see you down at the course next time you visit TN! 

Nigel Islam

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »
Ari, any word on when the course opens? I will be passing by it next week.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »
Ari, any word on when the course opens? I will be passing by it next week.

I visited by there a few times over the past week and I think late August or September would be the opening date.  I would suggest stopping by and checking it out.  If Rob Collins is in town, he might be able to meet you and show you around.  Enjoy your trip.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »
Ari

Have you exlpolrd putting a playing package together with the Sewanee Course. Some additional name recognition and it would be a great combo?
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Brandon Urban

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
Just seeing this thread after reading about the course elsewhere. Like many others have said, congrats to Ari and team. This place looks fantastic and one of those places I would want to play over and over again. I think that is the best compliment you can give a golf course. Googling driving distance from Lawrence, KS right now.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Eric Smith

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »
Stopped off to play a quick 9 on my way to the Vandy / SC game Saturday. Course is in great shape and as always a lot of fun to play.

Here are a few pics from the afternoon:

Rees Milikin

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »
Great pics, I am psyched they finally got the sand in more of the bunkers, which was looking it might be an issue two weeks ago.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 03:03:39 PM »
Nice USGA Sweetens Cove article by Anthony Pioppi: http://www.usga.org/news/2014/October/Sweetens-Cove-a-Nine-Hole-Beauty/

Recent pictures from Rob Collins:

Facebook page is up and running: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweetens-Cove-Golf-Club/1472140796371060
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:30:12 AM by Rees Milikin »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
Very excited that I'm playing TThursday

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »
Ari, what a handsome golf course! I be loving me some Sweetens Cove.

BCowan

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2015, 08:16:47 PM »
Played my 6th round at Sweetens this past weekend.  I first want to thank Mr Boyd for coming in 2 hours early so a group of golf nuts could enjoy their gem.  I agree with some others, I don't think I've putted on better green complexes.  #4 and #9 are such solid par 3's.  Hope next time i am in town the driving range is open.  The course received prob around an inch of rain the night before and still the greens were nice and firm. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back