News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Waidmann

New Member Introduction
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:03 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Matt Waidmann and I am excited to be a new GCA member.  I have followed this site for several years now and really enjoy all of the discussions.  Thank you to Ran for allowing me to be a part of it.  I am from Cincinnati, OH, and have pretty much lived here my whole life.  I am a Beer & Wine Buyer for Whole Foods Market, but prior to this I worked at golf courses for 15 years doing maintenance and assistant professional duties.  I was an accomplished high school and college golfer, but am lucky to get out 10 times a year now with work and now a newborn child.

I have always had a passion for golf course architecture, but never really cared about minimalism until I discovered GCA.  I think it has to be the golf course model from here on out in order for the business to survive.  I look forward to many discussions on here and hopefully meeting many of you at the golfing get-togethers.

My Best Courses Played (no particular order)

1) Pacific Dunes
2) Bandon Dunes
3) Arcadia Bluffs
4) Kiawah Island-Ocean Course
5) Bethpage Black
6) Chambers Bay
7) Pebble Beach
8) Tobacco Road
9) Caledonia
10) True Blue
11) Valhalla
12) Tot Hill Farm
13) Kebo Valley
14) Lochenheath
15) Sequoyah National

Honorable Mention: Bandon Preserve(most peaceful time on a course anywhere)

Wish List:

Bandon Trails
Old Macdonald
Crystal Downs
Kingsley Club
Forest Dunes
Greywalls
Erin Hills
The Prairie Club
Dismal River
Dormie Club
Streamsong
Ballyhack
Pasatiempo
Tetherow
Too many more to put up here...

Thanks!

Matt Waidmann

Mark Pritchett

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
Welcome Matt!

Tim Rooney

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:17 AM »
Matt,what are your thoughts regarding that old gem,Kebo Valley?Viewing the old clubhouse pictures reveals a Great Course of yesterday.
Leeds use of the serpentine stream on the back (9),par 5, is wonderfully creative.

Adam Warren

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
Welcome Matt!  I am just north of Louisville, and another member here Jason Thurman is in Cincy as well as some others, so it would be great to get together now that this area is growing in numbers on the board.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »
Matt, thanks for all the work you do. I'm a big supporter of Aisle 6 at WFM Hyde Park. I live just across the Lateral in Northside.

What are some of your favorite courses in Cincinnati and the surrounding area? And what are some of your favorite beers?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:11:23 PM by Jason Thurman »
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:38:05 PM »
Matt,what are your thoughts regarding that old gem,Kebo Valley?Viewing the old clubhouse pictures reveals a Great Course of yesterday.
Leeds use of the serpentine stream on the back (9),par 5, is wonderfully creative.

I played Kebo with my wife during our honeymoon. Hell, I'd marry her all over again if it meant getting back up there. It's been about 23 years, so I'd love a refresher...Matt?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
Welcome to the group Matt

Zack Molnar

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »
Welcome Matt. Former Cincy resident who gets back to the Queen when I can. What are your favorite Cincy courses? Where did you play high school and college golf?

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 05:55:29 PM »
Welcome Matt!
H.P.S.

Matt Waidmann

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »

Tim,

Loved Kebo Valley.  Had the course to myself in early June last year.  Conditions were fantastic, possibly the fastest, purest greens I have ever played on.  Holes 3-8 were as tough a test one's game that I've seen.  For a course that was one of the earliest built in this country(still open), just a wonderful classic golf course.  That Taft bunker is something else too.

Matt Waidmann

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:22 PM »
Welcome Matt!  I am just north of Louisville, and another member here Jason Thurman is in Cincy as well as some others, so it would be great to get together now that this area is growing in numbers on the board.

Adam,

I am always up for a round.  Great to have some fellow GCA guys nearby, I definitely need to hit the links more.

Matt Waidmann

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:04:22 PM »
Matt, thanks for all the work you do. I'm a big supporter of Aisle 6 at WFM Hyde Park. I live just across the Lateral in Northside.

What are some of your favorite courses in Cincinnati and the surrounding area? And what are some of your favorite beers?

Jason,

I live close by in Bridgetown, although I work at the Mason location.  The drive is not the best part of my job for sure.  Favorite beers right now would be anything Three Floyd's makes, Zombie Dust especially...Mystic Mama from Jackie O's...MadTree Axis Mundi...I'm keeping it local right now.

As for golf courses, it doesn't get any better than Blue Ash for me.  I think Stonelick Hills is the best modern course in the area.  I haven't had the opportunity to play many private courses in the city, except for Makatewah, TPC Rivers Bend, and Traditions.  Camargo is at the top of my Cincinnati Bucket List.

Matt Waidmann

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:19:22 PM »
Welcome Matt. Former Cincy resident who gets back to the Queen when I can. What are your favorite Cincy courses? Where did you play high school and college golf?

Zack,

Blue Ash is my absolute favorite.  There are a couple quirky holes, but overall just a fantastic design on a beautiful piece of property.  Stonelick Hills is great, just overpriced.  I grew up playing Weatherwax in Middletown, so that course has sentimental value to me.  I loved the layout of Lassing Pointe, however the conditions left something to be desired when I played it.  Somehow, someway I must play Camargo before I die.

I played high school golf for Monroe, between Cincinnati and Dayton, and I played college golf for Miami University. 

Will Lozier

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 11:23:46 PM »
Matt,

Welcome to a fellow Ohian and Red Hawk!  I too was surprised and impressed to see Kebo on your list.  My sister lived in Bar Harbor for 20 years and I spent quite a bit of time up there including a whole summer when I must have played it 25-35 times.  ALWAYS a treat! 

I particularly love the first, the drive on the second, the third and fourth are two great short holes before having to cross the road.  Just a wondrous little routing, a great setting, and F&F most of the time for optimal conditions relative to the design itself.  Nice work!

Cheers,
Will

PS - You'll have to make it up to Springfield to play SCC!...and Urbana to boot

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 12:42:17 AM »

Zack,

Blue Ash is my absolute favorite.  There are a couple quirky holes, but overall just a fantastic design on a beautiful piece of property.  Stonelick Hills is great, just overpriced.  I grew up playing Weatherwax in Middletown, so that course has sentimental value to me.  I loved the layout of Lassing Pointe, however the conditions left something to be desired when I played it.  Somehow, someway I must play Camargo before I die.

I played high school golf for Monroe, between Cincinnati and Dayton, and I played college golf for Miami University. 

How are the playing corridors at Blue Ash? The last time I played there (probably 7 years ago) it was starting to get very narrow.

I've played a ton at Weatherwax, I like it a lot and hope it can survive.

I grew up playing Sharon Woods, I still think there is a lot of merit to that course.

I grew up in the area but moved away about six years ago. Lots of good golf at a good price in the area.

And yes, you must get to Camargo.

Matt Waidmann

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 07:15:05 AM »
Matt,

Welcome to a fellow Ohian and Red Hawk!  I too was surprised and impressed to see Kebo on your list.  My sister lived in Bar Harbor for 20 years and I spent quite a bit of time up there including a whole summer when I must have played it 25-35 times.  ALWAYS a treat! 

I particularly love the first, the drive on the second, the third and fourth are two great short holes before having to cross the road.  Just a wondrous little routing, a great setting, and F&F most of the time for optimal conditions relative to the design itself.  Nice work!

Cheers,
Will

PS - You'll have to make it up to Springfield to play SCC!...and Urbana to boot

Will,

Go Hawks!  If only I could have played there 30 times, what a great way to spend a summer that must have been.  Best uphill par 3 I've ever played has to be #6, great bunkering, plenty of length, and a false front if I remember correctly.

I have heard good things about both Springfield CC and Urbana, hopefully I'll make it up there soon.

Matt Waidmann

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 07:31:45 AM »

Zack,

How are the playing corridors at Blue Ash? The last time I played there (probably 7 years ago) it was starting to get very narrow.

I've played a ton at Weatherwax, I like it a lot and hope it can survive.

I grew up playing Sharon Woods, I still think there is a lot of merit to that course.

I grew up in the area but moved away about six years ago. Lots of good golf at a good price in the area.

And yes, you must get to Camargo.

JLahrman,

Blue Ash definitely has its tight corridors, I'd say 6 holes really test how accurate you can be, with the others still allowing some wiggle room while being tree-lined. 

It's a shame about Weatherwax, I imagine housing will eventually go up on whatever 9 or 9's they close down.

Somehow I've only played Sharon Woods twice, but yes a very solid golf course that has the hardest par 4 in the city, #3, a straight uphill 500 yarder that always plays into the wind.

Definitely great golf for the money all around the area here.

JLahrman

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 08:24:16 AM »
Matt, I went to Loveland HS. Your current Ohio Division II Football State Champions. Never thought I'd see the day when Loveland would win a state title in any team sport.

There was a recent thread discussing Weatherwax and its sale. The sentiment from the peanut gallery here seemed to be that we hope 18 holes can be saved. 36 holes in a struggling area like Middletown might not be sustainable. But we'll see what happens. I've liked it ever since I played in the Hadley and district tournaments at Weatherwax back in high school.

I've probably played Sharon Woods 500 times and parred #3 maybe twice. It's really hard to think of a bad hole there. The only feature I truly don't like is the green on #10 ever since they redid it maybe 20 years ago and put that stupid gully in front of the green. I've always thought that Sharon Woods was an excellent value for the money, and usually in pretty decent shape.

There are a few courses in Cincinnati that are getting to be in need of a chainsaw (I'm talking about you, Glenview and Vineyard). Or at least, they were in need a few years ago. And Blue Ash could probably use some trimming too. There aren't any great publics in the Cincinnati area, but there are quite a few good ones and they are pretty easy on the wallet.

Matt Waidmann

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
quote author=JLahrman link=topic=58351.msg1368628#msg1368628 date=1398342256]
Matt, I went to Loveland HS. Your current Ohio Division II Football State Champions. Never thought I'd see the day when Loveland would win a state title in any team sport.

There was a recent thread discussing Weatherwax and its sale. The sentiment from the peanut gallery here seemed to be that we hope 18 holes can be saved. 36 holes in a struggling area like Middletown might not be sustainable. But we'll see what happens. I've liked it ever since I played in the Hadley and district tournaments at Weatherwax back in high school.

I've probably played Sharon Woods 500 times and parred #3 maybe twice. It's really hard to think of a bad hole there. The only feature I truly don't like is the green on #10 ever since they redid it maybe 20 years ago and put that stupid gully in front of the green. I've always thought that Sharon Woods was an excellent value for the money, and usually in pretty decent shape.

There are a few courses in Cincinnati that are getting to be in need of a chainsaw (I'm talking about you, Glenview and Vineyard). Or at least, they were in need a few years ago. And Blue Ash could probably use some trimming too. There aren't any great publics in the Cincinnati area, but there are quite a few good ones and they are pretty easy on the wallet.
[/quote]

J,

I'll second that on Loveland, but Congratulations for sure!  Ah the Hadley Memorial and Districts, I remember those days...and yes I think 18 will definitely be salvaged, most likely Woodside and either Meadows or Highlands.

I know a few guys who play Sharon Woods regularly and they really enjoy it, I'll have to get back there this season and see how it's changed since I played it some 12 years ago.

Vineyard is by far the narrowest public course in town and for sure needs a chainsaw...Glenview just needs bulldozed, I've never been a fan of it.  If they ever got their act together and put some money into the course I would put Majestic Springs up in Wilmington into my top 5 favorites in the area.  Great layout on a beautiful piece of property, just needs some attention to detail.

JLahrman

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »
Hard to believe that Glenview hosted the 1987 Public Links Championship for the USGA! I never minded the old (East/South) 18. I never cared for the new (West) 9 holes that were added. But the last time I was there, again it's been several years, the trees were just starting to choke everything.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
Blue Ash is definitely in need of some tree trimming, but not nearly as bad as Glenview. I was back in Cincy for Easter and played there, and there were a couple holes where there were trees directly blocking your tee shot not 30 yards from the tee. They have also filled in a number of bunkers at Glenview, including almost all of the non-greenside bunkers. Same thing at Sharon, although not to the same extent.

I think Sharon is one of the best publics in Cincy. I think the greens are great, and there are a good mix of long challenging holes(3,4,8,15,18) and shorter holes that still test(1,6,12,17). I think 7 is an awful hole, and 10 isnt great, but the rest of them are quite good

JLahrman

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 01:41:41 PM »
I always kinda liked #7. Try to bomb it down into that tiny little portion of fairway way down on the right.

I just looked at Sharon Woods on Google Earth. Just going by memory here:
#1 - corner of the fairway, I think there were two bunkers. Now there is one but it looks like it's further up the fairway?
#6 - I think there were some more greenside bunkers on the left.
#7 - There used to be at least one greenside bunker on the front right.
#9 - I believe there were a couple of small bunkers short and right of the green.
#13 - There used to be two bunkers on the right of the green
#14 - There used to be a fairway bunker on the left side of the fairway

Glenview I don't remember the bunkering quite as well; I didn't play there nearly as often.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:48:52 PM by JLahrman »

Matt Waidmann

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 05:38:50 PM »
Have you guys played Elks Run, a Greg Norman design in Batavia?  It's really quite good, used to be easy overpriced during the late 90's and early 2000's, but it's reasonable now and usually in good shape when I play it.  Nice bunkering, elevation change, natural areas, and no houses make for a pleasant round.

BCowan

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 06:01:49 PM »
Have you guys played Elks Run, a Greg Norman design in Batavia?  It's really quite good, used to be easy overpriced during the late 90's and early 2000's, but it's reasonable now and usually in good shape when I play it.  Nice bunkering, elevation change, natural areas, and no houses make for a pleasant round.

Yes, played US AM qualifier there in early 2000's 2 years in a row.  Is the course walkable for everyday play?  They had to shuttle us on one hole on the back.  I heard Norman had a contract that they had to charge more than area publics for X amount of years, which hurt them.  It's a good track.

JLahrman

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
I think I played it once in a scramble, which is not the type of event that leaves me with strong memories of a course if it's the only time I've played it...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back