News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

GG Marquez
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
I don't receive a paper and rarely seek out news.  When I do come across a newspaper my inclination is too quickly flip through to the obituary pages.  I spose once one hits half a century this aspect of life becomes more accessible and understandable.  I was greatly saddened to open the paper on Saturday and be confronted with the obituary of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, comfortably my favourite author in my lifetime and perhaps many lifetimes.  I didn't discover Marquez until shortly after university when I chanced to pick up a copy of 100 Years... somewhere in Israel...20 years after its release (what did I say about news?).  I immediately became hooked with the style and content of the story.  Strange then that I wasn't in a hurry to look for another Marquez book.  As luck would have it, an English translated edition of Love in the Time...was soon thereafter available while I was living in Japan.  Reading with a sense of despair, for fear that Love would not measure up, how I smiled after the magic 100 page mark.  The rare double was pulled off and from that time on, I have read more Marquez, by quite a margin, than any other novelist.  My nearly 30 tryst with the writing of Marquez is not yet at an end.  To papraphrase John O' Hara on the death of George Gershwin, "I don't have to believe Marquez is dead if I don't want to."

Ciao     
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ronald Montesano

Re: GG Marquez
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »
He lives on in Macondo, next to Melquiades.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:28:40 PM »
Just found a copy of the February 1983 Playboy interview with GGM. Oh, happy day.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 09:53:33 AM »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back