News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Jay Flemma

Re: Tour of Garden City Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:39 AM »
Great course, great club, great people, great fun! ;D Glad you had a banner day. Next time you;re in town look me up and I'll take you to play somewhere else great also!
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:30:49 AM »
Jay,

Unfortunately, I did not write that article. I simply found it on line and posted it.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »
Bill,
   Thank you for posting this.  The photographs help capture the feeling of the place. Yet another Long Island standout from a lengthy list of Long Island standouts.  Terminal moraine makes great land for golf. I savored the prose and images.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
Also thanks for posting this of a course where good photos are hard to find. I wish more greens these days were built like the 7th, a simple oval tilted. I really like the look of restraint of the course.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 12:04:03 AM »
The review is apparently three years old or so ... the 12th hole had not been redone when he played.

I love Garden City.  The pictures here give a feel for it, but there is much more nuance to the course than the hole-by-hole descriptions posted.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 07:15:12 AM »
The review is apparently three years old or so ... the 12th hole had not been redone when he played.

I love Garden City.  The pictures here give a feel for it, but there is much more nuance to the course than the hole-by-hole descriptions posted.

Tom,

What's always amazed and puzzled me is how well this visually benign course defends and resists scoring.

The fairways are very generous and the greens mostly absent significant contour, yet scoring is a real challenge.

It seems "timeless" in the challenge it offers.

Kevin_D

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:05:25 AM »
Great course, and one of the most fun I've played.

Here are a couple pics from #12 that I took last year.

My execution of this left much to be desired...

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 02:38:39 PM »
Gents

Clearly a lot of love for this course but forgive me for asking, what would we be saying about it if it were a modern design that just opened ?

Now I've never been there but it doesn't look to me to fit into the group think of wide fairways and hairy edged bunkering. Indeed you might say that some of the shaping looks a bit primitive. Would we be giving this course the same level of love as we do if it was brand new ?

Niall

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 09:22:26 PM »
OK, I will tell you a cool story about my one and only time playing the Garden City Mens Club.

Twenty-something years ago I had "The Arm" put on me to play in a golf outing charity fundraiser for a large client at Hollywood. This was my first time there, so  it was not TOO bad. I got paired with Earl the Pearl Monroe, which was great, but it turned out to be SOOO sad. The guy was maybe 40 years old and had had double knee and double hip replacements. He could barely bend down to pick his ball up out of the hole. It got to the point where I rooted for him to miss so that I could scoop up his ball and say "that's good." He could only play nine holes. From that moment forward I never again begrudged a professional athlete for the salary they earn while playing...)

During the silent auction after golf, I noticed that a threesome + lunch at  Garden City was available for a really low bid, so I bid it up it up a bit and won the bid.

As I was running through my mental roladex of buddies that I might invite to this special day and share the cost... when my large client with a 30 something handicap came up to me and said: "That's awesome Bill, my brother and I would love to play there with you..."

I was so tempted to say "No way"  but I quickly did the math on what I earned on his account and said "Great, I'll set it up! (GRRRRR!!!)

So the day came and we were playing with a GCMC member (who Pat will figure out) and we sat down for lunch. Now this happened to be a day or two before the Breeders Cup, and all these members came up to the guy with their betting sheets and started asking them questions. He said stuff like: "If it is a dry track, you want so and so in the 3rd race, and this horse if it is muddy, etc." This went on ALL lunch! And all the members took written notes!

Now during the round, our host ran around talking to a shitload of tiny little golfers... You see, there were jockeys riding in the Breeders Cup all over the golf course... So our host chatted them up. Presumably, he wanted to make sure they were enjoying the course...

We set the match on the first tee. High handicap (my client) and low handicap (me, a 5) versus the host and my client's brother. The host set the Nassau bet, the highest that I have ever played for in my life by a large multiple! I was shocked. At the time I had three little kids and was wondering how I was gonna pay for their college. But I did the math again for this client... and decided that it was a legitimate business expense, so what the hell?

Those of you who know me will understand that I am a decent golfer but a better competitor. I guess the nervousness of the high stakes struck the right chemical balance in my brain, because I proceeded to have a dream trip. My partner played like crap, but I made so many pars that we were way up in the match. We came to the par five 17th with a few presses on, and I made birdie. For some stupid reason I glanced at my scorecard and realized that I was even par, a score that I had never attained in my life! I walked up to the 18th hole and thought: "WTF, we finish with a Par 3? " :) Then I took one look at the pond in front and overclubbed by at least one club and flew the green! I hit a nice pitch to 5 feet, and shaking like a leaf, drained the putt for 70!

We won a ton of cash, and as we had a drink afterwards, a whole new segment of the membership came up to the host for more Breeders Cup advice with pen and paper in hand... He answered their questions but he was in no mood for an extended post-round discussion. :) We got shuffled out pretty quickly! On the car ride home, my partner told me me how the host muttered the whole round about "that f'ing sandbagger 5 handicap!" To this day, that remains the nicest compliment I have ever received!

70 remains my score best ever score, and I wonder if I need to leave well enough alone and not play GC again! :)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:02:10 AM by Bill Brightly »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 10:15:27 PM »
Bill,

You have an open, unexpiring invite.

The golf course awaits it's revenge.

I've had other friends who shot their best rounds at GCGC.

I think the wide fairways are the key.

Was you host an Irishman ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »
Great course, and one of the most fun I've played.

Here are a couple pics from #12 that I took last year.

Kevin,

Great photos.

It's a shame that the camera flattens the contours so much.

That green is really, really special and the front bunker is really, really deep.

It's a wonderful hole, Tom did a great job in restoring in to the degree that it can be maintained.
The inability to maintain the original was partially responsible for it's demise.

My execution of this left much to be desired...

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 01:04:40 AM »
Bill,
Was your host an Irishman ?

Does that narrow it down by a significant amount?

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 07:50:47 AM »
Gents

Clearly a lot of love for this course but forgive me for asking, what would we be saying about it if it were a modern design that just opened ?

Now I've never been there but it doesn't look to me to fit into the group think of wide fairways and hairy edged bunkering. Indeed you might say that some of the shaping looks a bit primitive. Would we be giving this course the same level of love as we do if it was brand new ?

Niall

I would say bloody marvelous!  Garden City to me looks excellent in that low profile style which presents happy surprises.  It reminds me a lot of Walton Heath, Huntercombe, Worlington and MacRaynor all rolled into one package. 

Thanks for the link Bill.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 08:09:53 AM »
Gents

Niall

I would say bloody marvelous!  Garden City to me looks excellent in that low profile style which presents happy surprises.  It reminds me a lot of Walton Heath, Huntercombe, Worlington and MacRaynor all rolled into one package.  

Thanks for the link Bill.

Ciao  

100% with Sean.

Garden City has always been at the top of my want to see list when I finally try and organise an extended East Coast trip.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:23:43 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Kevin_D

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »

Kevin,

Great photos.

It's a shame that the camera flattens the contours so much.

That green is really, really special and the front bunker is really, really deep.

It's a wonderful hole, Tom did a great job in restoring in to the degree that it can be maintained.
The inability to maintain the original was partially responsible for it's demise.

Very true - as with most pictures, the undulations just don't show like they do in person.

I also think the comparisons with British heathland courses is spot on.

I didn't score nearly as well as Bill, but sticking a 3-iron about 10 feet on 18 to clinch my match was one of my all time golf highlights.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »
Bill,
Was your host an Irishman ?

Does that narrow it down by a significant amount?

How about the initials, "JK"

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 11:22:45 AM »
Sean/Ally

Agree, it appeals to me also it was just that I was struck by how unlike the archetypal ideal design ideas that get championed on here, wide fairways being one of those ideals. Perhaps the fairways are wider than they appeal in the photos, I don't know.

Niall

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:27 AM »
Perhaps the fairways are wider than they appeal in the photos, I don't know.

Niall:

The fairways are generally 40-45 yards wide, which is very generous by northeastern standards, although the severity of the rough just off the fairway mitigates the width somewhat. 

They have been that way since the first time I saw the golf course; we really haven't changed the grassing lines a whole lot over the years, only to get them closer to the bunkers on some holes, and to get some more short grass around some greens. 

Niall C

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
Tom

Thanks for that, I hadn't appreciated they were that wide. As I think you allude to, what you step into when you step off the fairway could effectively narrow the fairway as players play safe to avoid the rough. How does the rough just off the fairway compare to your average UK parkland ?

As an aside, some of the bunkering reminded me of what you did at Renaissance.

Niall

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »
Niall,

Mother Nature often determines the difficulty of the rough.

In the spring, when it's wet and warm, it can be brutal.

There are two cuts of rough, the preliminary cut and no cut.

The preliminary cut can be brutal in the spring and usually softens as summer arrives.

On holes like # 1, the fairway in the DZ is 65 yards wide.  Many others are 50 yards wide.
Some, like # 9 which plays at a unique angle, probably provides 70+ yards of fairway width.

It's not a confined golf course in the DZ with # 5 probably the narrowest of fairways as you get further from the tee
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:02:22 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

William_G

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
I would be remiss if I didn't say that the course is among the flattest I've ever seen in pics

while it must be fantastic in reality
It's all about the golf!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 11:57:50 PM »

I would be remiss if I didn't say that the course is among the flattest I've ever seen in pics

William,

It's got some nice roll to it, but, nothing dramatic.

while it must be fantastic in reality

It's quite unique.

You don't see many courses in these parts where ladders are the only way to get in and out the bunkers

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2014, 08:40:12 AM »
Niall,

Mother Nature often determines the difficulty of the rough.

In the spring, when it's wet and warm, it can be brutal.

There are two cuts of rough, the preliminary cut and no cut.

The preliminary cut can be brutal in the spring and usually softens as summer arrives.

Patrick

Interesting. Do they ever give nature a helping hand ?

Niall

Jason Thurman

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »

It's even flatter inside the clubhouse, aside from the odd set of moobs.

It does look like a fantastic course from here. Thanks for the link, Bill.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back