News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Another thread has got me wondering what it currently costs to play 18-holes at various courses as a visitor, weekday, ie no cheap guest or re-play etc prices.

Here's some UK biggies -

TOC is £160 (High Season)
Sunningdale Old £205
Sunningdale New £180
Muirfield £200
Royal Birkdale £205

Here's some other courses that are admired herein, maybe even considered 'gems' -

Painswick £15
Perranporth £36
Huntercombe £50
Pennard £50
Beau Desert £70
Ganton £80

What does it cost to play a couple of 'biggies' and a couple of admired others in your part of the globe?

No digs or criticism is aimed at any particular course or sort of course.

Just curious to know how prices are in vary.

atb

Daryl David

Here are 2 that I think fit your categories in the same geographical area.

Whistling Straits  $370 plus caddie.  Works out to $450 to $500 depending on tip.

Lawsonia Links  $59

Greg Tallman

Cabo del So (Ocean): $165 - $365 includes cart if desired

Joe_Tucholski

In 2008-2009 Golf Digest Listed their top 100 US publics by price.  It's a few years old but the prices don't appear to have changed all that much.  The high price places are a bit misleading as some list the price as packages and some do not.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/golf-courses/2009-08/100greatestestpublic_byprice

Jud_T

Thomas,

fyi- here's a thread I did a while back trying to normalize for quality and price:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54921.0.html
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Chaplin

Appreciate Ganton is in the middle of nowhere as are many of the gems, but £45 twilight and £95 a day is a complete steal for a world class course.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

My #1 bang for buck is Kington.  I don't think there is much expensive golf nearby, maybe Porthcawl is the closest at £135.

University of Michigan for $42 would be my #2. Its not all that far from Oakland Hills which must be $200 for a guest.  

Lakewood Shores would be my third choice at $55.  I have no clue about expensive golf in the area.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The top 3 are Doak 6s in my book.  

I think Cleeve Cloud for £19 and Reddish Vale at £20 round out the top 5.  Around Cleeve Cloud there isn't much expensive golf, but I spose Little Aston isn't all that far away and its a bit pricey at £90.  Reddish Vale isn't all that far from the likes of Hoylake for £170. Same for Cavendish for £28

Perranporth has to be worth a mention for £35.  Nearby is St Enodoc for £75.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
#s 4-7 are maybe 5s, but at least very strong 4s.  

#8 would be Lederach at $55.  Name your price for expensive local golf.  #9 bang for buck is LuLu at weekday average price of $62.  See Lederach for expensive golf.  

#10 - gotta say Oxford at £29.  Oxford isn't too far from Surrey and the Sunningdales of the world.  

#s 8-10 are dead solid 4s.

Ciao

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 06:24:12 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Pete Lavallee

Torrey Pines South is $235 for non residents;$100 for the North course.on weekends.

Coronado muni is $35 on the weekend.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom_Doak

Northern Michigan:

Arcadia Bluffs is $180 in peak season.
Forest Dunes is $149, but only $119 Monday-Wednesday.

Belvedere GC is $79.
Black Forest is $65.

The unaccompanied guest rate at Crystal Downs is $250, but you can only play as the guest of a member during the peak summer season.  The accompanied guest rate is around $100 ... probably just over that this year.

Jaeger Kovich

Near London - The Addington's green fees are:
Visitor (Monday)   £60 for 18 and   £85 for 36
Visitor (Tuesday - Thursday)   £65 for 18 and   £90 for 36 ... I think there is some lunch/breakfast involved too!

NY's Bethpage Black's
Green Fees (non-NYS resident): Black Course
Weekdays (18 Holes): $130
Green Fees (Residents): Black Course
Weekdays (18 Holes): $65

Brent Hutto

I believe in season I paid around $375 to play the Ocean Course at Kiawah. Winter it was like $190 quite a few years ago but I'd guess it is higher now...probably in the $250-$275 range.

I'm playing this coming September at Royal St. Davids and staying in their Dormie accommodation. It's around 200 pounds for three nights room (and three mornings breakfast) with one 18-hole and two 36-hole days of golf. That's 200 quid total, not per day!

Totally agree on Ganton being a bargain.

Mike Nuzzo

Golf Club of Houston Tournament Course - $150
Memorial Park - $38
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Jud_T

Chicago:

Glen Club            $190
Cog Hill #4          $155
Harborside            $99
Thunderhawk        $87
Stonewall Orchard  $77
Ravisloe                $55
Highlands of Elgin   $51
Shepherd's Crook   $45
Jackson Park          $31
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:34:51 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Niall C

I suspect Silloth is still thye best bang for your buck that you could ever imagine but then I'm totally biased.

Looking at Moray, my old stomping ground, which is an area that generally gets totally bypassed the value for money is astonishing. Prices as below;

1. Moray GC

Moray Old (peak) £70
Moray New (peak) £30

The New is a good decent links with a couple of really nice holes by the water, some pretty good holes and quite a few that should and easily could be a lot better, however no one goes to Lossiemouth to play the New course. Moray Old is the top course in Moray, quite rightly, and at least as good as Ran's new favourite Fraserburgh, and indeed probably better.

2. Elgin GC

Peak £45

A terrific parkland that has a heathland feel about it. One of the best inland courses in Scotland and thats not just my thoughts but a couple of guys I know who played it in the Northern Open.

3. Duff House Royal GC

Peak £40 although club advertsies deal to be done for last minute bookings !

It's all about the greens on this MacKenzie gem. One of the few MacKenzie courses with double greens.

4. Strathlene GC

Peak £20 round/£24 a day

Cliff top course with panoramic views. Originally laid out as a nine holer by Old Tom, now 18 holes, some of which belie the greenfee.

5. Buckpool GC

Peak £25 round/£30 day

Another cliff top course that was designed by Hawtree & JH Taylor in the early 1930's. A mixture of very good, not bad and OK. When it's very good it provides some of the most memorable golf along the Moray coast.

I'm not generally up on the Doak scale so struggling to rate these courses in a meaningful way but if I was to suggest Moray Old was one of the best non Open links in Scotland I think that about sums it up. Elgin is I think a genuine Hidden Gem as it rarely if ever gets a mention on here. Duff House is a bit of a one off in terms of Scotland and should really be on any gca's must play list in that part of Scotland. The other two have much in common; terrific holida y golf at outstanding value; hideous looking clubhouses; and some of the friendliest members you'll find anywhere.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

Golf Club of Houston Tournament Course - $150
Memorial Park - $38

Wolf Point: your first born child  :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

jonathan_becker

$99 AUD for a round at either Barnbougle Dunes or Lost Farm.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back