News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Kim

Anniston Country Club
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:40:11 AM »
I recently moved to Anniston, Alabama and thinking about joining Anniston Country Club.  Does anyone know who designed it?  The club manager has a theory that Donald Ross had some involvement.  His theory is based on the fact that Ross was nearby in Birmingham for the Country Club of Birmingham and Mountain Brook Country Club and could have come by to make recommendations. 

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Anniston Country Club
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »
Oops    ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:46:16 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »
Steve:

That's Birmingham, Michigan.

As for Anniston, I have no idea who designed it, but the "theory that Donald Ross had some involvement" sounds a bit self-serving.  Usually, theories are required to have some sort of proof behind them.

Adam Warren

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
No idea, but I played in a softball tournament there once upon a time in the middle of August.  Dreadfully hot....

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:33:40 AM »
The Club itself supposedly dates back to 1906.  It had nine holes (not sure exactly when they were built) before the course was expanded to 18 holes some time between 1925 and 1930.

As far as I can tell it remains an "Unknown."  Ross was in the area during the late '20's, but I've seen no mention of who did the work at Anniston at that time (nor who did the original 9 holes).

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Frank Kim

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:39:19 AM »
Thanks Sven for your research. 

Executive Golfer Magazine lists Ed Seay as the architect.  The Palmer design group definitely was not the original architect but could they have been involved in a renovation? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back