News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Golfweek Best Canadian
« on: April 17, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »
The 2014 rankings are out.
In the classics list Jasper Park remains on top. Highland Links moves up two spots to #5.
In the modern list there is a new leader- Cabot Links.

Congratulations

http://golfweek.com/news/golfweeks-best/canadian-courses/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:06:26 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Dan Kelly

Re: Golfweek Best Canadian
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
The 2104 rankings are out.

I know it's just a typo, but it made me wonder:

Will Cabot Links be a "Classic" by then? (Yes.)

Will the oceans have risen enough to change the rankings? (Let's hope not.)

Will there still *be* rankings? (Likely, alas -- people being people, and a buck being a buck.)

Will there still be *golf*? (Yes! There must always be golf.)

Congratulations to all at Cabot Links.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »
Is Jasper really better than St George's and Highlands Links ?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »
Ian Andrew's real master stroke is at Cherry Hill, an uninspired piece of land (no Highlands Links) that moves into the top 30 Classic, thanks to his bunker restoration.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:40:44 PM »

Wait,

Are you saying there's a top Canadian course you haven't seen? ;)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 10:43:36 PM »

Wait,

Are you saying there's a top Canadian course you haven't seen? ;)

Always have to have something to look forward to..

Matthew MacKay

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 05:42:03 AM »
Mark, I love Jasper, but no, it's not. I'd have STG and HL in a league of their own, followed by Jasper, followed by a grouping of Hamilton, Banff, Capilano and Toronto, followed by everything else. Westmount could separate itself from the pack with the ongoing work being done there, but I'm skeptical.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 08:39:33 AM »
With Golf Canada working towards making the Canadian Open more relevant and luring the pros to make it to Canada after the Open(except for the RBC guys who pretty much have to attend. What courses do they include?
Hamilton was initially(2003) very well received by the pros, sadly it has become way too short. The last edition was seriously hampered by the lift, clean and place where they just killed the course. Now that Angus Glen is out and I don't think they are going back to Glen abbey, where can they go where the pros start talking about our open like they used to?

Gary Slatter

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »

Jasper is special Mark, but it should be just below St Georges and Highland Links, one behind Banff.
1.  St Georges    2.  Highland Links   3.  Hamilton Ancaster   4.  Banff Springs (Thompson nines)   5. Jasper

thats my personal version of the Golfweek Classics.   Many great courses waiting for the ball to be rolled back!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
Golfweeks Best Canadian Modern courses:  In my opinion they have some of it correct.

Happy to see Mad River move up from 26 to 14.  To me it is still better than #4, Beacon Hall.  Also nice to see Fox Harbour move up 11th. and Crowbush move up to 13th.  they deserve the love!

1.  The National     2.  Cabot Links    3.  Sagebrush    4.  Tobiano    5. Devils Paintbrush

2-5 are tied IMHO, the National stand alone.   The death of Kananaskis has left a hole in modern golf.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »
I expect Cabot Cliffs will shake up the modern rankings in the next year or so. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 12:31:36 PM »
Golfweeks Best Canadian Modern courses:  In my opinion they have some of it correct.

Happy to see Mad River move up from 26 to 14.  To me it is still better than #4, Beacon Hall.  Also nice to see Fox Harbour move up 11th. and Crowbush move up to 13th.  they deserve the love!

1.  The National     2.  Cabot Links    3.  Sagebrush    4.  Tobiano    5. Devils Paintbrush

2-5 are tied IMHO, the National stand alone.   The death of Kananaskis has left a hole in modern golf.

Sagebrush that high when it is not a walking course?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Adam Clayman

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 08:26:49 AM »
Jasper is ahead of Banff. Especially since the changes to Banff.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »
Now that Angus Glen is out and I don't think they are going back to Glen abbey, where can they go where the pros start talking about our open like they used to?
I have heard that they are likely still going back to the Abbey a few more times.  There are persistent rumours that Coppinwood is trying to get the event.   The more modern courses are much better set up logistically to handle these events with large ranges and area for corporate tents, although some of them are far out of town and access into the course can be an issue.

Hard to believe that Osprey Valley Hoot is rated above Osprey Valley Heathlands.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »
Glen Abbey will host the Canadian Open next year, followed by Coppinwood the following, when golf will be disrupted by the Olympics. Then to Laval, the course reworked by Ian Andrew and Mike Weir.

As for the rankings, Cabot is undoubtedly the best modern course in Canada.

Jasper ahead of St. George's and Highlands? Hardly. Good golf course, largely untouched. Conditioning can be suspect. There are great holes, but St. George's has more of them and Highlands exceeds both.

I'm surprised to see Beacon Hall so high, and though I love the Paintbrush, strikes me it is too far up as well.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »
I think you guys need to score me an invite to Pulpit/Paintbrush so I can judge for myself. I'm sitting on a couch and don't have the energy to do so myself.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Gary Slatter

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »

I don't consider the use of golf carts when I judge courses.
Sagebrush that high when it is not a walking course?

Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Robert Thompson

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 10:27:17 PM »
Ron: Let me know. Might be able to tee it up with you there.

I think you guys need to score me an invite to Pulpit/Paintbrush so I can judge for myself. I'm sitting on a couch and don't have the energy to do so myself.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 10:37:11 PM »
Ron: Let me know. Might be able to tee it up with you there.

RT, if you set it up, he will come.

(and I will too, if you have room for a third!)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 11:07:43 PM »
I know we have discussed it before, but I forget... What is the story of St Charles, the Bendelow, redone by Ross, added to by MacKenzie, the everyone  else seems to have had a crack at it? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 12:11:17 AM »
RJ,

I have done a fair bit of research on the history of the clubs in Winnipeg, and the story of St. Charles is as follows;

Tom Bendelow designed original golf course in 1905.  In 1919, Donald Ross arrived in Winnipeg en route to Banff to visit Pine Ridge, and his expertise was also sought by Elmhurst and St. Charles.  At St. Charles, Ross completed a new nine holes and re-worked the Bendelow course, to create a complete 18-hole Ross design.  Corresponding with Ross by mail, St. Charles completed his plans between 1919-1928.  In 1928, Alister Mackenzie visited the golf course as a member of the touring British Seniors team, and was hired in January 1929 to expand the course to 27 holes.  Mackenzie was on site to play in the opening of his 9 holes on July 30, 1931.  During the depression, the least popular 9 holes, designed by Ross on the western section of the property were maintained on a very limited basis to save money.  In the 1940's, the club hired Stanley Thompson to re-vitalize the west nine, which had previously played around the now abandoned polo fields.  Thompson's plans were never built, and work on the west nine was ultimately completed by Norman Woods (a former Thompson protege) in 1954.

The Ross and Mackenzie nines have been changed, most significantly to host a Senior PGA Tour event.  Mike DeVries was hired to restore some of the original architecture, and completed some much needed tree work and re-built many bunkers but is no longer working with the club.  The remaining intact architecture on Ross' (south) nine includes #1, #3, #4 & #9 while #2 and #7 are intact except for the expansion of the back end of their greens.  The remaining intact architecture on Mackenzie's (north) nine includes #10, #11, #13, #15, #16, #17 & #18.

TK

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »
Robert Thompson,

Where would you put Goodwood on the modern list? 

Since the owner died a few years ago, is it still being maintained/getting invited play?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
Cabot Links and Sagebrush top 3.   Major achievement by Rod Whitman!

Robert Thompson

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 01:41:06 PM »
Scott: It would be in my Top 5 modern.

It is open to a very small membership. No clubhouse, but maintained to the nines.

Robert Thompson,

Where would you put Goodwood on the modern list? 

Since the owner died a few years ago, is it still being maintained/getting invited play?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back