News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

County Louth Clubhouse
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »
I am planning a short 4-day trip to Dublin to meet my 27-year old son who is working overseas. He has never been to Dublin, so we'll mix in golf, sightseeing, and perhaps an Irish pub or two or three. (My younger son may or may not join us.)

Playing The Island, Royal Dublin and County Louth as these are three courses that I have never played before.

Question: I can stay one or two nights in the clubhouse at County Louth, and then Saturday night in Dublin. Has anyone stayed at County Louth? Given that I'll be with my boys, do you think they'd prefer to stay in Dublin?

Jud_T

Re: County Louth Clubhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:37:22 AM »
I think they'd definitely prefer to stay in Dublin.  I didn't stay at County Louth but there was nothing special about the clubhouse, while Dublin has great hotels, restaurants and nightlife.  So if the budget permits, I'd say definitely Dublin although then you have to factor in the drive and traffic if you're trying to get in 36.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:52:56 AM »
Bill, as a Dublin resident I'd tend to agree with Jud. Not that there is anything wrong with the Co Louth clubhouse at all - friends have stayed there and say it's perfectly comfortable - but your boys will probably find more to catch their eye in Dublin.

One option would be to split nights between Dublin City and Malahide - the latter (if you dont know it) being a lovely village north of the city close to The Island and also the right side of the city for getting to Co Louth. If you go to Malahide, make sure to go to Gibneys pub.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »
Agree with Judd and Jeff.  I stayed at the Co.  Louth clubhouse for two nights and while it was perfectly fine, there's basically nothing to do at night near there.  And I agree that Malahide is another good option.  You might consider splitting between Dublin and Malahide.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
I didn't stay at County Louth either.  I did take a look at the accommodations, which appeared fine and the hospitality out there was great.  Since you're not w/in walking distance of much from there, I would opt for Malahide.  It's very close to the Island (even closer with a boat) and being on the north side of Dublin works for Baltray as well. 

Splitting time between Dublin and Malahide probably makes the most sense.

But plan on 36 at County Louth!

Dale Jackson

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:45:39 PM »
Another vote for Malahide, and I particular The Grand Hotel.  The town is wonderful, with some lively pubs, close enough to downtown Dublin for a night there, very close to The Island and convenient to get to Royal Dublin and County Louth

And those are three very good courses, enjoy!
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »
By the way- why aren't you playing Portmarnock? I can't imagine going to Dublin and not trying to get out there.  Drop Royal Dublin and play Portmarnock again! As my drunken caddie at Baltray said " Aye Portmarnock.  It's a dogtraaaaaccccchhhhhhht!"
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:53:38 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 03:35:17 PM »
Jud,

I've played Portmarnock but not Royal Dublin, The Island or Baltray. So with limited time, I thought I'd stick to playing courses that I have not yet played.

Plus, I'm paying for all of the golf and Portmarnock is much more expensive!
This will be my kid's first experience with links golf, I think these three will suffice, don't you?

I really liked Portmarnock but I liked Lahinch and Ballybunnion much more. Did I misjudge?

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 03:59:55 PM »
Certainly Lahinch and Ballybunion have more substantial dunes and scenery, but I really liked the old school understated vibe at Portmarnock and, when I was there at least, the winds were not quite so vicious.  I get where you're coming from, but I'd still consider sneaking a round in there, perhaps sans kids...The Island and Baltray are both very solid tracks.  Can't speak for Royal Dublin, although this statement makes me a bit nervous:  "Classically designed by the legendary Harry Colt, our links has been updated for the modern game by the current doyen of golf course design, Martin Hawtree."
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:21:43 PM by Jud_T »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 04:26:06 PM »
Royal Dublin has even fewer dunes and less interesting scenery than Portmarnock.  I didn't have any specific expectations when I played it five years ago, but it was probably the most disappointing of the courses we played.  It also has one of the ten hardest holes I've ever played (the 18th), but not because it's a great hole. 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 04:44:17 PM »
Well, Royal Dublin is also the only course I can get on mid-to-late morning on the day our plane arrives... So it sounds like playing RD first, then The Island and Baltray last will be a nice progression!

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 05:27:52 PM »
Bill, thanks for the DM - typed you a reply but somehow got chucked out by the site! (I  am new here and all)

Will try again - assume the trip is a few weeks away yet...?

All best

Jeff

Carl Nichols

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »
Well, Royal Dublin is also the only course I can get on mid-to-late morning on the day our plane arrives... So it sounds like playing RD first, then The Island and Baltray last will be a nice progression!

You could do what we did--redeye to Dublin, drive down to the European Club, play 27 holes, drive back up to Dublin, change, grab dinner, go to the U2 concert @ Croke Park, stay out until the pubs closed..... 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 06:22:08 PM »
Carl,

Unfortunately, U2 will be playing in California the weekend when we'll be in Dublin. Not that I could survive a red eye flight and the day you had...

Stan Dodd

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 01:00:01 AM »
Bill,
I stayed in the Dormie House at Baltray after flying from SFO.  Arrived mid afternoon went into the bar and met a member who took me out for a game.  Had dinner at the club.  Got up early to take some photos and then thought I would just lie down before my tee time and of course slept right through.  The rooms are Spartan, clean and basic.  The course was great as was the bar.
Stan

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 03:16:17 AM »
I really liked Royal Dublin when I visited for the first time last year. Is it a real top tier links? No. But it was in perfect links shape last summer, hard and bouncy and with the best stand of fescue roughs I had seen in a long while - tall and waving, but sufficiently sparse that finding your ball wasn't hard. The members were delightful and the welcome warm. The short par four sixteenth is excellent. The eighteenth is unique, I've never seen anything like it before, and personally I think it is a brilliant strategic hole. And you might bump into Christy O'Connor (and you'll certainly marvel at the plaque by the sixteenth tee commemorating his amazing finish to win the Irish Open. So in short, I'd recommend it.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 11:46:32 AM »
Do they still have the hares at Royal Dublin? Played there back in '83 when over for a wedding. Course had thousands of rabbits running all over the place. Picture from and old newspaper in the clubhouse of Bernhard Langer walking up 18th hole in an event (Irish Open?), with hundreds of rabbits behind him. . . headline read "Herr Langer We Presume?"

Scott Warren

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 05:46:09 AM »
Hi Bill,

You should definitely play Baltray and stay after for a couple of pints. Warm and friendly even for a country known for that.

But don't stay there. And don't play The European.

Hope all's well.
Scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back