News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Ferry Point Pictorial April/2014
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2014, 09:20:36 PM »
Is this course built on top of a land fill?  When was the landfill actually closed?  I think this is a good example of turning a polluted site into something worth while and provide some open space and even some pollution absorbing and oxygen production from the turf sward. 

No, of course it doesn't look 'natural'.  How could we expect other on top of a landfill or polluted site with a periphery of various urban buildings, and some hardwood trees.  Every backdrop of treed areas is going to make the open site with artificial mounding look fake.  I think that is just the tradeoff you get for the repurpose of this sort of land.  I think this is more of interest for what I assume is some pretty elaborate subsurface engineering.  Does the site weep out methane?  Could the mounds be used for spectators ala TPC venues? 

I would rather hear from players, once this is open, how it played?  I am not sure from the website if this is going to be another Trump 1%er CCFAD sort of affair, or priced truly for urban dwellers to have access at moderate pricing?  Anotherwords, is it in the Whistling Straits strata of fees, or something affordable for golfers proportionate to what high prices there already are in NYC area?  Will it compare to Bethpage pricing? 

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 08:05:01 AM »
Dick,

Here is a pretty good history of the park:

http://www.ferrypointpark.org/page26.html

and from Brad Klein:

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/feb/03/klein-inside-ferry-point-park-project/

The golf course alone now is projected to cost $97 million. At least another $87 million will be required to cap the site and manage two parks adjacent to the course – a 10-acre community facility park and an 18-acre waterfront park. That doesn’t include the cost the city will have to pay to build an access road to the parkway.

The newest player in this drama is Donald Trump, who earlier this month was awarded the contract to manage the course. Trump plans to build a $10 million clubhouse, which he doesn’t have to finish until Year 5, and spend up to $850,000 annually on the grow-in process. The 7,158-yard course is scheduled to open in 2014.

Everyone will point to the $97 million price tag, when in reality $87 million or so had to be spent to clean up the site regardless of what it became, golf course, park, or housing.

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »
I'll be going over the Whitestone on Saturday and hoping not to cause any accidents while I simultaneously drive and try to look at the course. The last few attempts have been dicey.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Robert West

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »
I think the aesthetics of this course are going to be typical for the area and architect, I think Liberty National has that same "fake" look to it. Since both courses were built on waste dumps near Manhattan it's only logical no? And Mr. Nicklaus never seems to need goading to build something gaudy, this should not be the exception. Trump seems to be actually getting the idea (if hiring Mr. Hanse for Doral was a sign) but he came into this project far after the golden bear left his mark.

But as a Bronx native and a current Brooklynite, I'm really just hoping for some true and clean greens, a well conditioned course, personable staff, and a somewhat speedy round. NYC golf can be really really bad, and I'm tired of having to drive to Bethpage or Jersey to find a decent course. I'm sure I won't love this Nicklaus design but I just can't hate it yet, my hopes are too high for a truly well kept and efficiently run, public golf course within the boroughs. I've walked under the highways of Van Cortlandt too many times.

Haven't we all? I mean if the greens are solid and there's a remote chance for the occasional 4 hour, won't we be happy? Even if it does look like we are playing on lumpy Astro turf near a toll booth and some public housing, won't we city dwellers welcome anything that's better than what we have?

Am i just desperate or is anyone else just holding out hope for awesome?

Keith Grande

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 12:59:16 PM »
Robert, have you played Marine Park recently? 

My projection for ferry point is crowded, 5+ hour rounds

Sorry to kill your buzz.  >:(

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
I'm really just hoping for some true and clean greens, a well conditioned course, personable staff, and a somewhat speedy round.

Shouldn't you hope for something more?
Especially if good design doesn't require more capital.
Would you describe Cypress Point, The Old Course, Royal Melbourne, Pine Valley or NGLA to your friends as having true and clean greens?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 10:29:46 AM »
Interesting article in the Daily News today regarding the sweetheart deal the Donald got for operating the course:

"In 2012, then-Mayor Michael Bloomberg gave Donald Trump control of a $236 million public golf course at Ferry Point and threw in a slew of giveaways that include a low revenue-sharing plan with the city and free water. No other city golf course enjoys these perks."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/sweet-deal-donald-trump-golf-article-1.1810770#ixzz33OjDQhws

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 07:00:10 AM »
I think the aesthetics of this course are going to be typical for the area and architect, I think Liberty National has that same "fake" look to it. Since both courses were built on waste dumps near Manhattan it's only logical no? And Mr. Nicklaus never seems to need goading to build something gaudy, this should not be the exception. Trump seems to be actually getting the idea (if hiring Mr. Hanse for Doral was a sign) but he came into this project far after the golden bear left his mark.

But as a Bronx native and a current Brooklynite, I'm really just hoping for some true and clean greens, a well conditioned course, personable staff, and a somewhat speedy round. NYC golf can be really really bad, and I'm tired of having to drive to Bethpage or Jersey to find a decent course. I'm sure I won't love this Nicklaus design but I just can't hate it yet, my hopes are too high for a truly well kept and efficiently run, public golf course within the boroughs. I've walked under the highways of Van Cortlandt too many times.

Haven't we all? I mean if the greens are solid and there's a remote chance for the occasional 4 hour, won't we be happy? Even if it does look like we are playing on lumpy Astro turf near a toll booth and some public housing, won't we city dwellers welcome anything that's better than what we have?

Am i just desperate or is anyone else just holding out hope for awesome?

Exactly,
I mean why have any higher expectations than clean, true, and well conditioned for $236 million?
as crazy as 6  minute abs
 :o :o ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

B.Ross

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 02:41:20 PM »
as this is moving slightly towards a discussion of nyc courses, both quality and pace of play, imo, none beat split rock. ive never played there in more than 5 hours and from the back tees its a sporting track. you can see some elements of real good design there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back