News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Inniscrone GC(Hanse) in Avondale, PA 16th hole
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
Joe Logan discusses the change being made to the split fairway 16th at one of Hanse's early designs due to changing clientele at the now public course:

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=14799&pid=20

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/inniscrone-golf-club/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark McKeever

Re: Inniscrone GC(Hanse) in Avondale, PA 16th hole
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »
That's a shame as 16 was one of the cooler holes out there. 

But I have to agree that if a change is required to keep the everyday client happy at a public course, it needs to be done.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Sherma

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:21:09 AM »
This could be seen as an example of the "Good Golf versus Great Golf" trade-off that has recently been discussed. If quirk and challenge is turning away players can we say that it is good architecture for the clientele. Gil Hanse's quote stated that he agreed that the hole did not work for the current clientle. I believe that this is similar to what is/has been playing out with many CCFAD type courses that were developed in the 1990's and 2000's. The courses that I have seen a very active regular business tend to be shorter and usually more mundane architecturally thereby allowing for many different types of games to be somewhat competitive. No one wants to get excited about these courses, but they are the backbone of the public golf business.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »
One of my favorite holes in golf being changed.  Wow.

I truly became interested in golf course architecture b/c of Inniscrone, and the 16th hole there more than any of the others (which has a really good run of holes on the back nine, from 11 through 17).
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Michael Blake

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »
Joe Logan states that better players play left and all others play right.
But I've never seen anyone play out to the right.

D_Malley

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:22:03 PM »
I would like to change our 6th hole at Paxon Hollow to be more like the current #16 at Inniscrone.

I currently always play my drive on the 6th at PH out to the right into the 7th fairway.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »
At Paxon, how do you hit the 6th green from the 7th fairway??  Isnt there a bunch of trees in the way?

Mark

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 04:47:08 PM »
It's a shame.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »
With all,well some , due respect is the former super at Coatesville in over his head?  It's a very different hole and changing it is wrong. Played Coatesville a fair amount during his time there.  If he wanted to get creative he had an open palette at his former course.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 10:51:27 PM »
 I agree that this is a loss and I also agree with Dan about Paxon. But at Paxon you then need to change # 7 tee. Which I would do.
AKA Mayday

D_Malley

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »
At Paxon, how do you hit the 6th green from the 7th fairway??  Isnt there a bunch of trees in the way?

Mark

The trees are all small pines which a SW easily clears.

Mike,
On Jim Wagners master plan there would be new tees on #6 (back further) and #7 (moved further right, away from boundry)

John Shimony

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 09:43:35 AM »
Good riddance.  The 16th was too difficult and came at a time in the round when you were merely holding on and trying to get into the clubhouse without another triple bogey.  This being said, I like the course overall.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Mark McKeever

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 09:50:26 AM »
Shi$,

I felt like 17 was the hole that would kick you in the balls more than 16 if you're trying to keep a good round going.  Both certainly have their challenges though.

Mark

Chris Mavros

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »
This is a very disappointing change to me.  The Sixteenth was one of the most interesting public holes in the area and to see it changed because of pace of play and a different clientele is disheartening.  I know the course has struggled financially for a few years and is probably trying to capitalize on a growing player base, but  at the expense of losing its identity  can backfire IMO. 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
This is a very disappointing change to me.  The Sixteenth was one of the most interesting public holes in the area and to see it changed because of pace of play and a different clientele is disheartening.  I know the course has struggled financially for a few years and is probably trying to capitalize on a growing player base, but  at the expense of losing its identity  can backfire IMO. 

Absolutely agree, Chris.

Heck, did they consider using one of those extra long flagsticks?  I think some people were frustrated b/c even when close to the green playing from the upper fairway, they could not see the pin.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back