News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Glowacki

Changes at NGLA
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:33:34 AM »
Took a walk around NGLA last week.  The large red maintenance shed has been torn down and all the trees around it have been removed.
The smaller shed is still there as well as the old brick building with the bathrooms.  A truck ran into the entrance gate, so that is in need of
repair.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Changes at NGLA
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »

Took a walk around NGLA last week.  The large red maintenance shed has been torn down and all the trees around it have been removed.
The smaller shed is still there as well as the old brick building with the bathrooms.  A truck ran into the entrance gate, so that is in need of
repair.

Chuck,

You moron, correction, MIT, the main gate or the maintenance gate ?

If it's the main gate, let's shift it a North and build a back tee for 18

I ran into Bill at the Yankee - Red Sox game on Saturday but we didn't have a chance to chat as I was on the wrong elevator.

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »
Main, also spoke with Bill, said despite rough winter came thru relatively unscathed

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »

Credit to Jon Jennings, of Shinnecock.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »
Ouch.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:23:48 PM »
In need of repair - I'll say.  That's some horrible driving.

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »
Believe it was sheetrock truck

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »
Can this Please Please Please not be taken as a quest for invites of any kind.

Man , I wish I could get inside those gates - Even if it was just to walk the grounds.

I really missed my chances by not going to the Walker Cup.

Everyone on here that has a chance to play it or see it seems to think it is one of the best ever created.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »
Can this Please Please Please not be taken as a quest for invites of any kind.

Man , I wish I could get inside those gates - Even if it was just to walk the grounds.

I really missed my chances by not going to the Walker Cup.

Everyone on here that has a chance to play it or see it seems to think it is one of the best ever created.

Rob,

Tom Watson once said of Ballybunion that it is place architects should study before building golf courses. I'd say the same about NGLA. There are just countless things worth studying. You need a month or maybe an entire summer, certainly not just a day or two.
Tim Weiman

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »
Tim,

I completetly understand what you are saying. Just played Lookout Mountain - My second Ryanor -a few weeks ago and didnt really get enough time to study the course. That is the one thing that is bad about getting a single opportunity to play a course. If you focus on your game, you dont get to focus on all the in and outs of the course itself.

Rob

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
"Everyone on here that has a chance to play it or see it seems to think it is one of the best ever created."

As Donald Fagen so succinctly put it in Babylon Sisters, "it's everything they say".
Only played it once but it is burned into my brain. Hitting the tee shot on #2 and then cresting the hill to see the golf course beyond is a special moment.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:58:24 AM by Jeff Taylor »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 04:26:54 PM »
I ran into Bill at the Yankee - Red Sox game on Saturday but we didn't have a chance to chat as I was on the wrong elevator.

Patrick, you probably missed him because yours doesn't go all the way to the top...... :D
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ivan Lipko

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 04:55:22 PM »
So, is that changes to the golf course or changes to the buildings on the golf course? Sorry, if I missed something you were talking about.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »

Patrick, you probably missed him because yours doesn't go all the way to the top...... :D

We were at the top, we were going down  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »

So, is that changes to the golf course or changes to the buildings on the golf course? Sorry, if I missed something you were talking about.

Ivan,

Actually, it's a pretty big deal if you understand where those buildings were located and how they influenced views of the holes and from the various holes.

It now makes the course pretty much void of any artificial structures other than the road that runs through it and the gate.

Alex Miller

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 06:46:14 PM »

Ivan,

Actually, it's a pretty big deal if you understand where those buildings were located and how they influenced views of the holes and from the various holes.

It now makes the course pretty much void of any artificial structures other than the road that runs through it and the gate.

And a certain windmill.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 06:50:11 PM »
Tim,

I completetly understand what you are saying. Just played Lookout Mountain - My second Ryanor -a few weeks ago and didnt really get enough time to study the course. That is the one thing that is bad about getting a single opportunity to play a course. If you focus on your game, you dont get to focus on all the in and outs of the course itself.

Rob

Rob,

I decided a long time ago that playing a course and studying a course are two different things. The first time I saw Crystal Downs I walked the course with a member that was playing, Dick Ford. It was one of the best golf architecture experiences I ever had, in part because Ford was so gracious answering questions but also because I wasn't bothered by trying to play my own ball. We had some great conversations about different shots that would never have happened if I was busy trying to shoot a good score.

At NGLA it is crazy how much there is to see and appreciate.
Tim Weiman

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 09:45:27 PM »
Tim,

I've had a seasoned architect tell me that every time he visits and plays NGLA he sees something new.

I can relate to that.

There is so much subtle genius to the place.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 06:34:52 AM »
There's a bell on the back of the 3rd green. I'm told they don't exist in nature.

My first opportunity to experience the course came during Walker Cup. I walkered and walkered for 2.5 days. I was in the press box for a time, uploading images. I spent as much time as I could on the course. I shot from every angle I could imagine for 10 hours a day and as a result, came away with 50% of the potential photos and about 2.5% of the course knowledge.

My second opportunity ended before it began (see photo above)...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »

Ivan,

Probably not the time or place to discuss, but it reminds me of the old hockey fan argument (probably said at other sports) that the "real fans" sit in the upper level cheap seats.  Funny thing is, in golf, other than those corporate tents (which are also not the "real fans" there really isn't assigned seating, you fight for your spot.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »

There's a bell on the back of the 3rd green. I'm told they don't exist in nature.

That bell, behind the 3rd green on the berm, was donated by and dedicated to my dear friend, Joe McBride.
And, it's invisible from the fairway.

Pete Dye dedicated a similar bell behind the 6th green "Alps" hole at Old Marsh
And, it's invisible from the fairway.

My first opportunity to experience the course came during Walker Cup. I walkered and walkered for 2.5 days. I was in the press box for a time, uploading images. I spent as much time as I could on the course. I shot from every angle I could imagine for 10 hours a day and as a result, came away with 50% of the potential photos and about 2.5% of the course knowledge.

My second opportunity ended before it began (see photo above)...

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 09:25:24 AM »
still an artificial structure...

Paul Dye has a number of bells on his courses...PDGC in WV has one.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 09:38:49 AM »

still an artificial structure...

Ron,

Don't be a moron

Do you want to include water fountains and ball washers too ?
They're artificial structures.

There's a huge difference between an enormous group of maintenance buildings and a dedicated bell donated by a member.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »
A bell, a road, and a windmill are actually real structures.
Is it OK to agree that they are more appealing to the eye than a red maintenance building? I do recall noticing that building on my one and only play of the golf course. Can't say I was impressed but I did like ringing the bell.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 10:51:42 AM »

Ivan,

Probably not the time or place to discuss, but it reminds me of the old hockey fan argument (probably said at other sports) that the "real fans" sit in the upper level cheap seats.  Funny thing is, in golf, other than those corporate tents (which are also not the "real fans" there really isn't assigned seating, you fight for your spot.

My Dad took me to the Garden (1925-1968 version) once or twice a year when I was growing up (Knicks and indoor track and field) and we always were in the cheap seats, because we were New England Yankees and WERE cheap!  That being said I once got an autograph from a guy sitting behind us named Sugar Ray Robinson.  I don't think he was from New England nor was he cheap.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back