News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Itching for the Sandhills of North Carolina in June...
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:11 AM »
I hope it isn't too early, but I just can't wait for the US Open this year..  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 07:37:25 AM by BCowan »

Mark Smolens

Re: Itching for the Sand Hills in June...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »
Don't you mean the 5th Major ;D

Norbert P

Re: Itching for the Sand Hills of North Carolina in June...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 05:00:08 PM »
 Beyond the drama of The Masters, I had to bite my tongue on several occasions at my buddies house.  He does not care for critiques of Augusta !  Sacred cow thing.  Anyway, I'm really hoping Pinehurst US Open can remove some dogmas.  Should I dare to envision a paradigm shift in golf design and maintenance?  Certainly it will be a touchstone of the vox populi in golfer sensibilities.  A Rorschach test, perhaps.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:32:59 PM »
PSA...

One word:  Sandhills region of the Carolinas

One word: Sandhills region in north-central Nebraska

Two words:  Sand Hills Golf Club
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 06:14:18 AM »
PSA...

One word:  Sandhills region of the Carolinas

One word: Sandhills region in north-central Nebraska

Two words:  Sand Hills Golf Club

Ladies and Gentlemen, Howard Riefs, math instructor.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »
It may be a tough sell and you may not transmute the opinions of those who ache for pretty, pretty pictures; those who long for soft, plush fairways; those who pine for flat greens and bins of birdies.

The ebb and flow of praise and criticism from media, contestants and attendees will be an interesting story line. Our age of instant reaction produces forgettable yet injurious commentary from innumerable, unrestrained sources.

I've played #2 twice and can put these words to my experiences: in the moment, in the now of then, I enjoyed every shot, every challenge that was presented to me. If it's a weakness in my ability to tell a story, it is thus, but I cannot create drama where for me there is none. The course is not dramatic, but the holes (especially they par threes after #6) are of incredible character. In fact, I've just answered a question I silently pondered: which hole do I value as weak? It would be the sixth and you can scroll through to view it a bit here (click the "hole by hole" tab, halfway down the page):

http://www.pinehurst.com/golf/courses/no-2/
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Norbert P

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 02:18:56 PM »
  . . .
 . . .I cannot create drama where for me there is none. The course is not dramatic, but the holes (especially they par threes after #6) are of incredible character.

Ronald, Do ou mean to say that the course is not dramatic visually or strategically or fatefully, or  . . . ?

I have never played it, only walked it a couple of times , but I was very impressed by the visuals and strategies and admired what, theoretically, were features that would integrate fate.  ( one of my favorite  traits I look for in a golf course.)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, Howard Riefs, math instructor.

I prefer:

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jerry Kluger

Re: Itching for the Sandhills of North Carolina in June...
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
For those of you coming to Pinehurst for the Open I live an hour north and would come down and meet up if you are playing at a nearby course.  If you want some suggestions of courses to play which may not be as crowded as those immediately in Pinehurst i have a couple in mind. 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
If I had to put into one word what I'm looking for from these US Opens, it would be:

Domes greens stimped at 13, coupled with strategic bunkering.

Challenge thrown down.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

BHoover

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:18 AM »
If I had to put into one word what I'm looking for from these US Opens, it would be:

Challenge thrown down.

Sounds good to me!  We're talking about the best players in the world, so make them earn it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:38:27 AM by Brian Hoover »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »

Challenge thrown down.

I think you mean "one" sentence. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 11:02:42 AM »

Challenge thrown down.

I think you mean "one" sentence. 

"One" paragraph. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »
  . . .
 . . .I cannot create drama where for me there is none. The course is not dramatic, but the holes (especially they par threes after #6) are of incredible character.

Ronald, Do ou mean to say that the course is not dramatic visually or strategically or fatefully, or  . . . ?

I have never played it, only walked it a couple of times , but I was very impressed by the visuals and strategies and admired what, theoretically, were features that would integrate fate.  ( one of my favorite  traits I look for in a golf course.)

Slag, by "fate" do mean luck?   You mean a given shot on a given line might be either on the green or suddenly in a deep bunker?   Love it.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
Play along guys...one word!

Also, Pinehurst stimped at 13 seems like it might be a lot
Like Seminole.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Norbert P

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 02:34:34 PM »
 Bill, yes.  That and the Wire Grass plantings in the sandy wastes that may or may not effect the golf ball and its player.  Also, no fairway lining rough to catch or slow down rollouts into these wastelands.  And, I'm assuming the fairways will be firm for some running of the ball.

What I like about fate is the suspense it adds to the game; both in the air (wind, ball spin) and on the ground (land features).  Sort of goes back to the John Kirk "Time" theory.

Years ago I got into a heated debate with the editor (Mr. Pink's lackey?) at ScottishGolf dot UK when he suggested that THE OPEN (British) be designed more in the US Open fashion to determine the world's finest player.   WTF?  I couldn't understand why the player's importance was placed above the golf course's importance.   (I sure miss their weekly newsletter, though.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:38:57 PM by Norbert P »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 08:47:56 PM »
Psyched to cover it, psyched to play a little, psyched to see everyone, psyched for the interviews I'm doing for my preview.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 10:27:12 PM »
Mother Nature will influence the perception and play at Pinehurst #2, as she always does.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 07:02:22 AM »
Gentlemen,
I may well be under-informed but it seems to me that the USGA has had less input into re-configuring Pinehurst #2 that they have had with respect to previous U.S. Open venues.  Is this, from afar, a valid impression?

I am more interested in how this U.S. Open plays out than I have been for many a year. I hope this is due to the course itself separating the sheep from the goats and not excessive rough demanding boring down the middle application. The wiry grasses in the waste areas are, to me, a far more interesting hazard than simply thicker grass.
It will be very interesting to see how things are changed, in terms of length I guess, when the women tackle it later in the season. I always feel that the ladies strategies in attacking any given hole would be more in line with how I might tackle things ( though no doubt, in my case, with considerably less expertise!).

Pat,
Are you afeart that mother nature will produce soggy greens, too much wind or what precisely. I would have thought that a course of this calibre would withstand the vagaries of nature … no?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Cory Lewis

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 09:40:04 AM »
When I was there in November the caddies were saying that the current light scattering of wire grass, interspersed with large areas of sandy hard pan was going to be transformed into a mini jungle by turning on the hose! Anyone know if this is the plan?

If it is, selling this US Open as being held on a course that has no "rough" is a bit disingenuous...
That's accurate, it's already starting to get thicker in some areas.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Matt MacIver

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:28 PM »
Never too early to start guessing the winning score.  For reference:

Par 70 in both 1999 and 2005.  Winning scores were -1 and Even, respectively.

I think the weather was good (and steamy) both years, and both Tiger and Phil were right there at the end.

I'm going with -1 per day, or -4 for the winner.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »
The women will shoot lower than the men as hipster rubes declare architecture is the real winner.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »
I think I was illuminated when I wrote that second post.

The course has zero general-public-wow factor: no ocean, no cliffs, no dramatic creeks, no hills (and I know about 4 and 5), no valleys (same). It's so sublime that its gca-wow factor is recognizable to us. It has the great misfortune to have Michael Campbell as its defending champion. The Payne Stewart angle will be played again and again. They best hope that Philly Mick wins to complete his career slam.

I did mean what I wrote. When you are playing it decently to well, every shot comes alive. It looks flat, plays subtly up and down, yet devours you with healthy doses of strategy.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 08:20:08 PM »
The course has a dead hero. That trumps any ocean.

BCowan

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
Looking forward to attending on Thursday of the tourney.  I am going with -2 winning.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back