News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

This just came across my desk today.  I know it isn't being published until early May but has anyone had a chance to read an advanced copy? 

The author is a professor of history at Auburn, a Golfweek rater, and has written a best-selling biography of Neil Armstrong .  He had full access to the Jones archives at Cornell.   Just thumbing through the book, it looks heavily sourced and very comprehensive.  It also looks like it doesn't shy away from the bitter rivalry between RTJII and Rees or the what looks like complicated family dynamics overall.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mike_Young

He will be speaking at the Dixie Cup this year...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Adam Lawrence

I read it in proof a couple of months ago - Jim, who has written for me a couple of times, asked me to pen a short blurb for the dust jacket/Amazon. I think it's outstanding work. I don't agree with all he says, but his research is meticulous, and despite the book's difficult genesis he hasn't stayed away from any of the difficult bits (eg the Bobby/Rees relationship as you say).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

William_G

I look forward to this book, thanks James Hansen.
It's all about the golf!

Carl Johnson

Just finished it.  Learned lots.  Great golf book.  Highly recommend.

Howard Riefs

Re: A Difficult Par: Robert Trent Jones Sr. and the Making of Modern Golf
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:58:25 PM »
The book just won the 2014 USGA HWW Book Award. Details from Geoff:

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2015/1/27/a-difficult-par-wins-2014-usga-book-award.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back