News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett Wiesley

I heard from some folks, and read some reports on the net about the greens at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV.  It appears they treated the greens with some new chemical, and they all died.  Apparently, they closed the course in Peak season this February, and re-sodded them.  Anyone know more about this?  What was the chemical/treatment, has it been used on other courses with same result?

Brad Tufts

Re: What happened to the greens at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 09:52:40 AM »
I played there last September and the conditions were pretty good, although the green seemed wet.  It was still low 90s in late September, so I figured it was a heat-control measure.

Can't say I loved the place.  A few spectacular holes to be sure, but I viewed it as a property that might have been better enjoyed as a scenic area with hiking trails, etc.  I thought WC at #2 in the state public showed how weak NV public golf is compared to other states.  I liked Royal Links better. 
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:54:08 PM »
I don't know what the chemical was, but it is true that all of the greens were dead and painted green when I played WC in February. Parts of two fairways were also dead from the same treatment.  I was told they were closing the course the following day and expected it to be closed until mid April. The greens didn't putt as bad as they looked. I think I had only 2 three putts. Here are some photos:

#4 green

#6 green

#12 fairway was not painted

#12 fairway

#17 dead turf in landing area
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:57:31 PM by Stewart Abramson »

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:08:34 PM »
Holy moly!!!!!!!!!   Did the super not bother to test it on one green that is not used often like the chipping green to see how it reacts before spraying all 18 greens on the whole course, and a couple of fairways.   I am sorry, but working in turf this is inexcusable.  I was always taught if you are going to try something risky, try it on one or two greens MAX, and then see what the results are.  You don't just go out and spray all 18 greens and hope it turns out well. ALSO, whoever sprayed the greens that day did a HORRIBLE job with overlapping, I am guessing that all the lines that still look somewhat ok where only applied with a single pass, where everything else was double applied and just killed it instantly, or their sprayer is all jacked up, either or.   I would be amazed if the super is still there through all of this, especially during prime season.   That is a lot of lost revenue.  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:18:43 PM by Peter Ferlicca »

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 12:42:35 AM »
Thanks for the input and pictures.  I'm supposed to play there mid-April, and they didn't mention anything about this when I booked.  I had heard they re-sodded all greens, but cannot imagine it is up to normal standard.  I heard through the grapevine that the same chemical was used at Falcon Ridge as well?  Also heard their head pro, Steve Seargant, has recently left Wolf Creek for the Ledges in St. George.  Timing, or sign of the times at Wolf Creek?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 04:02:57 AM »
Looking at the photos it appears to be a poorly set up sprayer as much as anything else. Dangers of using chemicals I guess

Jon
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:13:42 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Frank Kim

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:08:43 AM »
I played at Wolf Creek when it reopened in late March.  The greens were very slow but playable.  The course gave us a $25 gift card and apologied for the greens being that way.  Spectacular course.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 08:04:11 AM »
Stewart, other than turf conditions, what did you think of the course?  Layout, playability, fun, strategy, greens, etc.

David Druzisky

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
A 4x rate was accidently applied (what it was I do not recall) and thus killed the greens.  The greens had just been resurfaced last year.  Of course they just got resurfaced again 3 weeks ago.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 05:18:17 PM »
Stewart, other than turf conditions, what did you think of the course?  Layout, playability, fun, strategy, greens, etc.

I've played Wolf Creek  several times. It can be a polarizing course among GCA enthusiasts. I like it.  Except for a couple of long & wild hitters who lose a lot of balls, all of the business colleagues I've taken to play there has liked it alot, but none of them are into GCA. The setting itself is unforgettable. Everyone wonders how they ever built the place, and of course some GCA fans ask why they ever built it; but, if you can accept desert golf as a concept, then this is a pretty neat variation.  The fairways are wider and more forgiving than they appear. If you play from the right tees there aren't many long forced carries, so, even though it can be visually daunting I don't find it punitive. It would be a very tough course to walk, assuming they allowed walking, so if you think "cart golf" is not golf, you won't like WC, and of course the waterfall on #18 can be a turn off. There are, I think, 5 holes with drop shots from elevated tees. That may be much for some tastes, but it is a fun shot.
  #11 par 3 one of several elevated tee shots to landing area in a valley below

I'm not a fan of #3 which is a par thee over a rocky peak, over a vallley to a skyline green. Short leaves a very difficult second shot.  From the tee for me it is "swing and pray".
#3 from middle tee

Other than the recent situation, the greens have been in good shape the other times I've played there. The greens don't have a 'Doakian" interest level as far as size, humps, multiple breaks and degree of break, but they provide as much interest as the majority of greens I've played on 30 or so NV and UT courses. Regarding strategy... I'm a 14 handicap who is basically trying to avoid bunkers and hit to a particular side of a fairway on most holes. I think that there have been several previous threads here that discuss the architectural and strategic merits of WC better than I can.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:09 AM »
Ref - 'painted' greens - how often are the greens we see on TV/pro tournaments 'painted'? Just curious.
atb

Dane Hawker

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
Any ideas what product?

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 04:39:54 PM »
That look kinda fits the course, imho. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Chris Wagner

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 05:49:55 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wolf-Creek-Golf-Club-Mesquite-NV/125209116504

What a mistake!
It appears that they fixed their problems and everything is back to normal from what I can see and read here.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back