News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Wandering in Wales: The Winter Tour Comes To A Close - Tenby
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »
Jeff

P&K's backside is not even close to 2nd best behind CZJ. 

P&K Cont - the infamous backside

After crossing the road (which is not as hazardous as many) we play two holes leading to the dunes.  I believe we had a contrary wind so the 10th played quite easy for a #1 handicap hole.  The 11th is a fine par 5.

#12 strikes me as very Colt-like; very attractive and it looks harder than it is, but remember, we played it downwind.  The front bunkers are well short of the target.

I was fooled on the next, thinking the blind tee shot led to a dogleg left.  The hole actually turns aggressively right to a flat as a pancake green dead-ended into a holler of dunes.  The 14th may be the best hole on the course.  The tee is high above the fairway which must be sought out for it doesn't nestle up to the tee.  The hole moves a lot right, into the wind and uphill into the dunes - most attractive and difficult indeed.   

Continuing what is a wonderful set of par 3s and the undoubted strength of P&K, #15 is a long downhill banger with an extremely harsh fallaway green - absolutely superb.

The 16th continues the descent from the dunes, tough par 4. Perhaps the second best par 4 is saved for next to last.  You guessed it, another long hole, but this one turns left then heads uphill to a mildly plateaued green. 

The home hole is a bit of a dull finisher running along the 10th.  Sorry to say, it is a bit too reminscent of some front nine holes; either lacking in visual pizzaz or lasting interest. Its difficult to hide my disappointment, but thats how it is.  The course is fine, good even, but not good enough to miss a game at nearby Porthcawl or Southerndown.  Perhaps if the club charged a more appropriate green fee I would feel different about P&K, but as is, I feel no compunction to return. 

Previous Stops on the Tour:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,38973.0.html  Little Aston 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57982.0.html  Frilford Heath Green 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33988.0.html  Notts

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32228.0.html  Huntercombe 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49796.0.html  Cleeve Cloud 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49998.0.html  Worcester G&CC 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35648.0.html  Whittington Heath 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57487.0.html  West Hill 

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61415.msg1460548.html#msg1460548  Walton Heath Old 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,57349.0.html  Sandy Lodge 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,26579.0.html  Tadmarton Heath 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51321.0.html  Sutton Coldfield Recommended Winter Card Only

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 05:08:03 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mat Poade

Re: Wandering in Wales: The Winter Tour Comes To A Close - P&K
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2014, 04:28:56 AM »
Well i managed to play Tenby last week. I think its a great course with a wonderful routing. As Sean said the conditioning is very poor at the moment, but they have reduced the green fee to £35 to reflect that. When i played there was standing water down the first 100 yards of the 18th fairway. All the fairways were very patchy and some of the greens were a lottery. But i still thinks it's £35 well spent. I asked the Pro in the shop, he said it was mainly due to the very hot summer they had and once they get some growth it wil lcome good in no time at all.

As for holes 15-17. I think 15 and 17 are both good holes. 16 is a bit odd, but 1 bad hole out of 18 is pretty good in my book. I can imagine it being very tough when they grow the rough for major competitions. I don't think I've ever seen tighter fairways..

Rich Goodale

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 07:47:56 AM »
Just back from two days of competitive golf at Pennard (and seemingly 2 weeks of driving up and down to get there.....).  First time at the course, and it is something to behold.  The weather was spectacular on the first day, but even with a good field (for seniors)--median index 5, 3 scratch players, a selection event for Welsh senior internationals)--only 11 of the field of 75 played to or better than their handicaps.  Over the two days, only 3 players broke 150, and several of us struggled to break 180.  This was playing from the medal tees (~6300), but with holes cut by the greenkeeper mostly on the periphery of the greens on both days.  The greens were very good (if a bit slow) but the fairways were effectively non-existent.  As those who have played the course will know, many of the fairways make the width of the tee shot at the 4th at Rye look like the 1st at St. Andrews, mostly due to right to left routing combined with left to right reverse cambering--just imagine the 4th and 5th at Olympic Lake on steroids.  As for the fairways, don't expect them to reappear soon.  They remind me of the 2nd hole at Painswick during BUDA II in 2004 (where we were required to move our ball from the wet dirt to any tuft of any vegetation we could find), and the problem is the same.  Not weather (as some above have guessed) but rather due to an infestation of leatherjackets (a grub) that was not properly diagnosed and/or treated--or so I was told by people who should have been in the know.  We played the fairways as they lied, and only those with finely honed, solid and confident swings (i.e. excluding me) were able to cope.  Bummer

As for the routing, given the natural landscape, which resembles Iwo Jima rather than a links, a good job has been done, particularly for the day.  The course sits on at least 400 acres of land, but more than 50% of that land is not suitable for golf--unless you can include funicular railways from green to tee (and vice versa) for many of the possibly great holes that still lie out there unused, or bring in lots of heavy machinery.

Some comments on the holes themselves:

1--a very storng opener.  Long which means if you don't hit the fairway, fuggedaboot going for the green.  iIn all cases, blind shot in, which is complicated by the fact that there is dip in front of the green that can play havoc with what one thinks is a good shot (cf. 18 Dornoch).  OK green with subtlety.
2--per posts above it seems that 2 was not in play in April. They opened it for us on our practice day and the competition, but was whatever work done there worth it?  Short iron to a small flat green surrounded by dunes.  There is good land behind the green and the next tee that would be a better idea (viz. Ben Stephens' fine re-routing of the elsewhere on this site).
3--blind dogleg left that rewards nothing for trying the carry.  Bunt your drive to the right (lots of room there), hit a short iron to the green, try to sink the putt.  OK flattish green (except for the far right and long pin position, where I 3-putted from 2 feet....) :'(
4--Goofy hole #1.  Drive towards some guy's holiday home, straight at the OB stakes which are perpendicular to the fairway.  If you hit a really good drive, you can attempt the 200+ yard blind carry over the OB stakes to the left, and since the green and its approaches slope vertiginously dowwards, you might even hit the green in two.  More reasonably, hit a mid iron to 100 yards or so and then pitch, chip or putt and hope that you ball gets close to the pin).  It's a par 5.  I took 9 in the 1st round and 4 in the 2nd, without any significant difference in my shot quality.  Goofy!
5--OK classic downhill short/medium iron to a multi-tiered green sitting in the dunes.  It's a 2-4 unless you do something really stupid with your tee shot.
6--a really good and hard hole.  You must flirt with the left rough to get far enough to reasonably reach the green, but if you can't carry your driver 210+ uphill, don't even try.  Lay up short and then enjoy some really cool chipping/pitching options to an interesting green.
7--Good hole.  Try to hold your drive into the sharp L-R slope, and then guess where is the pin for your short 2nd shot.  The green is tiered perpendicularly to the line of play.  End up on the wrong shelf and you will struggle for par.
8--Strong hole.  Dog leg left (yet again!), with 2nd shot across a big dip to an elevated green with a serious false front.  Green is a good one, sloping L-R and back to front.  A 4 here is good.
9--Reachable par 4 only if you hit a good drive and have a club in our bag which carries 210+ dead straight.  Take your 5 and be happy.
10-Goofy hole #2.  Drive your ball to what seems to be the fairway (rightish) and then just hit a rescue club (or whatever) off a downhill lie to wedge distance to a sharply uphill green.  Try to guess where the pin is on the flattish green.  Or....hit a weak cut drive over the wee gorse bush down the left side of the fairway and then act surprised when you find yourself at the bottom of the saddle of the landform with a 200-yard shot to the green.  I saw it done twice (not by me) and in each case the perpetrator hit a provisional off the tee, assuming that the drive was lost....
11--goodish long 3 over gunge, but other than "hit it straightish, stupid!" can't think of any more advice.  You do get some interesting shots if you don't follow the instructions above, so those of you who are of the anti-card-and-pencil brigade, flail away and have fun!
12--another short dogleg par-4 uphill with strong L-R bias.  Not driveable, so hit it straight, guess the 2nd shot properly (blind front left bowl), and if you cut/slice/***** your second, say hello to the 13th tee and a solid wedge for your 3rd shot.
13--If you can carry a straight and high fade 207 yards uphill, this is the hole for you!  Fun on the tee, hard work thereafter.
14--R-L dogleg for once.  A very good hole, with yet another deceiving carry over a dip to a severely false-fronted green.  Take 1-2 more clubs than you think you need.
15--another par-3 into the dunes.  Long narrow green with several tiers.  You get what you see on this hole, but if you don't hit the green you won't like what you see.  Oops!--forgot that this board is populated by masochists....
16--OK hiole with spectacular views.  Need to drive left if you even want to think of reaching he green in two.  Otherwise, lay up and then pitch to the green.  Sharp R-L and bck to front green contours.  In the summer, putting from back right to a front left pin could resiult in a lost ball.
17--Goofy#3.  Position A of the tee is long left, which will leave you with a 200+ blind shot over gunge to an elevatred green.  Neither me nor my playing partners ever got close to Position A.  Well one had the line right, but the length beyond his capability and he took an 8.  Me and my other partner bailed out right both times and then hit 6 iron/6 iron the to green, with results ranging from 5 to 9.  There is a good hole there somewhere near, but not there.
18--very difficult to reach par 4, even with a good drive.  5 is easy, but 4 requires a pitch and a putt, unless you are seriouswly long and accurate.

Overall, I give Pennard 1*, which is a good score for me.  Maybe if they can recover the fairways and tweak the routing a bit they will approach the only other Welsh course I have played (Southerndown 2**).  I hope so, for the land and the club deserve it.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Sean_A

Re: Wandering in Wales: The Winter Tour Comes To A Close - P&K New
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
Just back from two days of competitive golf at Pennard (and seemingly 2 weeks of driving up and down to get there.....).  First time at the course, and it is something to behold.  The weather was spectacular on the first day, but even with a good field (for seniors)--median index 5, 3 scratch players, a selection event for Welsh senior internationals)--only 11 of the field of 75 played to or better than their handicaps.  Over the two days, only 3 players broke 150, and several of us struggled to break 180.  This was playing from the medal tees (~6300), but with holes cut by the greenkeeper mostly on the periphery of the greens on both days.  The greens were very good (if a bit slow) but the fairways were effectively non-existent.  As those who have played the course will know, many of the fairways make the width of the tee shot at the 4th at Rye look like the 1st at St. Andrews, mostly due to right to left routing combined with left to right reverse cambering--just imagine the 4th and 5th at Olympic Lake on steroids.  As for the fairways, don't expect them to reappear soon.  They remind me of the 2nd hole at Painswick during BUDA II in 2004 (where we were required to move our ball from the wet dirt to any tuft of any vegetation we could find), and the problem is the same.  Not weather (as some above have guessed) but rather due to an infestation of leatherjackets (a grub) that was not properly diagnosed and/or treated--or so I was told by people who should have been in the know.  We played the fairways as they lied, and only those with finely honed, solid and confident swings (i.e. excluding me) were able to cope.  Bummer

As for the routing, given the natural landscape, which resembles Iwo Jima rather than a links, a good job has been done, particularly for the day.  The course sits on at least 400 acres of land, but more than 50% of that land is not suitable for golf--unless you can include funicular railways from green to tee (and vice versa) for many of the possibly great holes that still lie out there unused, or bring in lots of heavy machinery.

1--a very storng opener.  Long which means if you don't hit the fairway, fuggedaboot going for the green.  iIn all cases, blind shot in, which is complicated by the fact that there is dip in front of the green that can play havoc with what one thinks is a good shot (cf. 18 Dornoch).  OK green with subtlety.
2--per posts above it seems that 2 was not in play in April. They opened it for us on our practice day and the competition, but was whatever work done there worth it?  Short iron to a small flat green surrounded by dunes.  There is good land behind the green and the next tee that would be a better idea (viz. Ben Stephens' fine re-routing of the elsewhere on this site).
3--blind dogleg left that rewards nothing for trying the carry - should of had a caddie - big reward when downwind. Bunt your drive to the right (lots of room there), hit a short iron to the green, try to sink the putt.  OK flattish green (except for the far right and long pin position, where I 3-putted from 2 feet....) :'(
4--Goofy hole #1 - should of had a caddie play left - great par 5.  Drive towards some guy's holiday home - no, stay left - there is so much driving space that it is pathetic to blame the hole for poor play, straight at the OB stakes which are perpendicular to the fairway.  If you hit a really good drive, you can attempt the 200+ yard blind carry over the OB stakes to the left, and since the green and its approaches slope vertiginously dowwards, you might even hit the green in two.  More reasonably, hit a mid iron to 100 yards or so and then pitch, chip or putt and hope that you ball gets close to the pin).  It's a par 5.  I took 9 in the 1st round and 4 in the 2nd, without any significant difference - I don't believe its possible to more than double a score and not do something seriously wrong in my shot quality.  Goofy!
5--OK classic downhill short/medium iron to a multi-tiered green sitting in the dunes.  It's a 2-4 unless you do something really stupid with your tee shot.
6--a really good and hard hole.  You must flirt with the left rough to get far enough to reasonably reach the green, but if you can't carry your driver 210+ uphill, don't even try.  Lay up short and then enjoy some really cool chipping/pitching options to an interesting green.
7--Good hole.  Try to hold your drive into the sharp L-R slope, and then guess where is the pin for your short 2nd shot.  The green is tiered perpendicularly to the line of play.  End up on the wrong shelf and you will struggle for par.
8--Strong hole.  Dog leg left (yet again!), with 2nd shot across a big dip to an elevated green with a serious false front.  Green is a good one, sloping L-R and back to front.  A 4 here is good.
9--Reachable par 4 only if you hit a good drive and have a club in our bag which carries 210+ dead straight.  Take your 5 and be happy.
10-Goofy hole #2.  Drive your ball to what seems to be the fairway (rightish) and then just hit a rescue club (or whatever) off a downhill lie to wedge distance to a sharply uphill green - thats the conventional way to play the hole - whats the problem?.  Try to guess where the pin is on the flattish green.  Or....hit a weak cut drive over the wee gorse bush down the left side of the fairway and then act surprised when you find yourself at the bottom of the saddle of the landform with a 200-yard shot to the green.  I saw it done twice (not by me) and in each case the perpetrator hit a provisional off the tee, assuming that the drive was lost....
11--goodish long 3 over gunge, but other than "hit it straightish, stupid!" can't think of any more advice.  You do get some interesting shots if you don't follow the instructions above, so those of you who are of the anti-card-and-pencil brigade, flail away and have fun!
12--another short dogleg par-4 uphill with strong L-R bias.  Not driveable - Not true, so hit it straight, guess the 2nd shot properly (blind front left bowl), and if you cut/slice/***** your second, say hello to the 13th tee and a solid wedge for your 3rd shot.
13--If you can carry a straight and high fade 207 yards uphill, this is the hole for you!  Fun on the tee, hard work thereafter.
14--R-L dogleg for once.  A very good hole, with yet another deceiving carry over a dip to a severely false-fronted green.  Take 1-2 more clubs than you think you need.
15--another par-3 into the dunes.  Long narrow green with several tiers.  You get what you see on this hole, but if you don't hit the green you won't like what you see.  Oops!--forgot that this board is populated by masochists....
16--OK - far better than ok hiole with spectacular views.  Need to drive left if you even want to think of reaching he green in two.  Otherwise, lay up and then pitch to the green.  Sharp R-L and bck to front green contours.  In the summer, putting from back right to a front left pin could resiult in a lost ball.
17--Goofy#3 - no question about it. Position A of the tee is long left, which will leave you with a 200+ blind shot over gunge to an elevatred green.  Neither me nor my playing partners ever got close to Position A.  Well one had the line right, but the length beyond his capability and he took an 8.  Me and my other partner bailed out right both times and then hit 6 iron/6 iron the to green, with results ranging from 5 to 9.  There is a good hole there somewhere near, but not there. I don't know how to play the hole unless its downwind.  Strangely, this is often cites as a favourite hole at Pennard - not by me though.
18--very difficult to reach par 4, even with a good drive.  5 is easy, but 4 requires a pitch and a putt, unless you are seriouswly long and accurate - all depends on the wind.

Overall, I give Pennard 1*, which is a good score for me.  Maybe if they can recover the fairways and tweak the routing a bit - The routing is fine - they will approach the only other Welsh course I have played (Southerndown 2**) - Pennard knocks Southerndown into a cocked hat  8) - for me, Pennard is only conditioning away from a great course.   I hope so, for the land and the club deserve it.

Glad to see you crossed a border or two.  Don't make the mistake of "knowing" Pennard after a few goes.  It is one of the most enigmatic courses I know of which boasts of five all Wales candidates and not a single hole which one can accuse of being characterless.   

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 03:35:20 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 11:54:49 PM »
Rich, too bad you couldn't hang around for a day and play Royal Porthcawl.  Great links.

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2014, 07:07:02 AM »

3--blind dogleg left that rewards nothing for trying the carry.  Bunt your drive to the right (lots of room there), hit a short iron to the green, try to sink the putt.  OK flattish green (except for the far right and long pin position, where I 3-putted from 2 feet....) :'(
4--Goofy hole #1.  Drive towards some guy's holiday home, straight at the OB stakes which are perpendicular to the fairway.  If you hit a really good drive, you can attempt the 200+ yard blind carry over the OB stakes to the left, and since the green and its approaches slope vertiginously dowwards, you might even hit the green in two.  More reasonably, hit a mid iron to 100 yards or so and then pitch, chip or putt and hope that you ball gets close to the pin).  It's a par 5.  I took 9 in the 1st round and 4 in the 2nd, without any significant difference in my shot quality.  Goofy!
10-Goofy hole #2.  Drive your ball to what seems to be the fairway (rightish) and then just hit a rescue club (or whatever) off a downhill lie to wedge distance to a sharply uphill green.  Try to guess where the pin is on the flattish green.  Or....hit a weak cut drive over the wee gorse bush down the left side of the fairway and then act surprised when you find yourself at the bottom of the saddle of the landform with a 200-yard shot to the green.  I saw it done twice (not by me) and in each case the perpetrator hit a provisional off the tee, assuming that the drive was lost....
12--another short dogleg par-4 uphill with strong L-R bias.  Not driveable, so hit it straight, guess the 2nd shot properly (blind front left bowl), and if you cut/slice/***** your second, say hello to the 13th tee and a solid wedge for your 3rd shot.
16--OK hiole with spectacular views.  Need to drive left if you even want to think of reaching he green in two.  Otherwise, lay up and then pitch to the green.  Sharp R-L and bck to front green contours.  In the summer, putting from back right to a front left pin could resiult in a lost ball.
17--Goofy#3.  Position A of the tee is long left, which will leave you with a 200+ blind shot over gunge to an elevatred green.  Neither me nor my playing partners ever got close to Position A.  Well one had the line right, but the length beyond his capability and he took an 8.  Me and my other partner bailed out right both times and then hit 6 iron/6 iron the to green, with results ranging from 5 to 9.  There is a good hole there somewhere near, but not there.
18--very difficult to reach par 4, even with a good drive.  5 is easy, but 4 requires a pitch and a putt, unless you are seriouswly long and accurate.

Overall, I give Pennard 1*, which is a good score for me.  Maybe if they can recover the fairways and tweak the routing a bit they will approach the only other Welsh course I have played (Southerndown 2**).  I hope so, for the land and the club deserve it.

Interesting comments.
While I enjoy Southerndown, I think of Pennard as far superior in terms of interest, fun, and variety.

Curious if anyone knows when the "grub" infestation occurred ,and how the fairways compare to what we saw in March versus what Rich saw.
I was in the minority and thought there were fine in March, thin-- but fine. Am headed back there in July and hoping it's merely a difference of opinion between Rich and I, and that they have not taken a substantial turn for the worse since March.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rich Goodale

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
Sean--thanks for the comments, even though I find some of them to be bizzare.  Mine are not just based on my experience but also those of my playing partners and 10 or so other fellow competitors, all of whom were very well-travelled and competent golfers.  I liked Pennard and give it as good a score as Elie and Alwoodley and Brora (for example).  Maybe my 2** for Southerdown is too high, but I would play it again before giving Pennard another shot.  BTW, those are the only two courses I have played in Wales, and if Pennard really has 5 of the best 18 holes in the principality, the rest of the lot must be seriously mediocre....

Bill-I'm saving Porthcawl for the next time we hold BUDA at Painswick.  It will be my John Bernhardt memorial road trip....

Jeff-I personally doubt that the fairways will recover by July as there is zero grass now in late May in far too many places, but I very much hope, for your sake and for Pennard's, that I am very wrong.  Report back in July, please.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 11:38:50 AM »
Rihc

What is really bizarre is the comments about #s 3 & 4  8)

It is a real shame about the fairways.  Its even more a shame that Mike is retiring this year.  The club and me will sorely miss him.  Mike is without doubt one of the best servants to the club and game I have ever come across. 

Ciao

Rich Goodale

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
As far as I remember, the carry off the tee on 3 over the left gunge is 250+ yards.  I can't hit it that fa through the air, even if I had a 30 knot wind behind me, and whilst you can probably hit it that far, you'd struggle for height given your bullet-like t4rajectory. ;)

As for 4, there is no left hand fairway, unless your cunning plan is to pull it hard onto the 9th fairway.  From there you have a 200+ yard carry over gunge or a huge swing duck hook with line and length judged inch perfectly to catch the narrow and severed down slope to the green.  Potentially fun, yes, but great golf hole, no.

Rich

PS--my 9 on the hole included a 5-putt from 25 feet after I had lost the will to live and/or enjoy the hole.... ;D
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 06:53:26 AM »
Rich,

Damn fine effort to travel all the way down to the Gower and back up again for the UKSGA event.

I understand that leatherjacket infestations have been a more significant problem this year than for several years at many clubs so maybe not just a Pennard issue.

atb

Sean_A

Re: Wandering in Wales: The 2013-14 Winter Tour Comes To A Close
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2023, 05:12:07 AM »
All

Its taken me 9 years to get back to Tenby. I must say my thoughts about the course are much more positive than my last stop. While the new photos aren't great because of poor light, they are much better than the previous photos. Please see the updated tour on page 1.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 19, 2023, 09:48:11 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2023, 09:42:37 AM »
Fine new photos Sean. Tenby doesn't half get burnt out and firm at times. Looks like it was about to rain (a lot).
Glad you managed to get to see one of my wee Welsh favourites, St David's City, on your trip. Cracking fun course of which I'm sure there'll be a phototour appearing soon. I did a SsDC phototour a few years ago but the photos now seem to have disappeared.
atb

John Mayhugh

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2023, 01:13:32 PM »
Those are some really interesting updated photos. I have to get back to Wales.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2023, 01:23:13 PM »
I'm not well-travelled, but after looking at those new photos (and frankly many of Sean's other tours) my compass for greatness is totally messed up. How is this Tenby not a highly ranked course? I've probably only played a few with cooler-looking contours. Other than I need to get out more, what am I missing?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Brian Finn

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2023, 01:26:58 PM »
Thank you for another great reference thread, as I am making my first trip to Wales next month, covering the South coast as far West as Tenby.  Our trip will be based at Porthcawl, which will get the most plays of any course on our agenda, but I think I am most excited to see Pennard.  I am now wishing we had 2 scheduled rounds at Tenby, but I am not sure we will be able to adjust our already packed itinerary. 
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2023, 04:33:26 PM »
I'm not well-travelled, but after looking at those new photos (and frankly many of Sean's other tours) my compass for greatness is totally messed up. How is this Tenby not a highly ranked course? I've probably only played a few with cooler-looking contours. Other than I need to get out more, what am I missing?

I am not sure where Tenby is ranked, but I strongly suspect it would be far more respected if it weren't in Wales. If Tenby was dropped in the US it would be a cult course of reknown. Perhaps being a very good links is dime a dozen stuff in GB&I? I like Tenby and would happily return.

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2023, 04:37:04 AM »
I am not sure where Tenby is ranked, but I strongly suspect it would be far more respected if it weren't in Wales. If Tenby was dropped in the US it would be a cult course of reknown. Perhaps being a very good links is dime a dozen stuff in GB&I? I like Tenby and would happily return.
Ciao
In the words of the one and only Captain Mainwaring “Don’t tell him, Pike!”. :)
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2023, 02:10:35 AM »
Ciao
In the words of the one and only Captain Mainwaring “Don’t tell him, Pike!”. :)
Atb

You don't want to share the joys of Welsh golf?

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2023, 04:46:03 AM »
You don't want to share the joys of Welsh golf?
Share the joys of Welsh golf? Not top of my list for discussion today coz what's far more important just now is gloating over yesterdays glorious 20-9 victory! Maybe inclined to discuss Welsh golf after next weekends return fixture although hopefully not!
:)
atb

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Wandering in Wales: Updated TENBY GC Tour
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2023, 06:03:51 AM »
Well I had my worst days ball striking there this summer, when it was maxed out F&F,

It was a challenge, suprisingly so.  Even when I hit it hard  if it was off line it was running off the fairways.

The rough was patchy and most balls found, but off the fairway gives you some really odd lies.

Itching to return.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back