News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Elvins

Many members had equity before the Red was built. Nothing has changed.

John,

In his feature interview Chris mentioned the club had a 'handful' of owners.  I don't know how many members the club has now but I am assuming that if they voted to invest in the second course there are now hundreds of owners.  Surely something has changed?

I am interested as to ho other clubs could do something similar. I see far too many clubs getting into debt.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:01:24 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

Many members had equity before the Red was built. Nothing has changed.

John,

In his feature interview Chris mentioned the club had a 'handful' of owners.  I don't know how many members the club has now but I am assuming that if they voted to invest in the second course there are now hundreds of owners.  Surely something has changed?

I am interested as to ho other clubs could do something similar.

I will try one more time. I was a member before Chris bought the club, I voted for and contributed towards the building of the Red, I am still a member today. Nothing has changed as far as my responsibilities as a member since before Chris bought the club. When the club has a bad year and loses money I do not get a bill.  When the club shows a profit I do not get a check. I pay dues and play golf. Now I simply dream of a day without having to defend why.

David_Elvins

John,

From what you are saying, am I right to say the members donated money to the ownership group so as to increase the assets of the ownership group and allow them to charge members for use of said assets?

Is this sort if arrangement common in America?  It strikes me as a technique that would be hard to transfer to other clubs? Not something that many memberships would vote for?  What percentage of members needed to vote in favour?
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

John Kavanaugh

John,

From what you are saying, am I right to say the members donated money to the ownership group so as to increase the assets of the ownership group and allow them to charge members for use of said assets?

Is this sort if arrangement common in America?  It strikes me as a technique that would be hard to transfer to other clubs? Not something that many memberships would vote for?  What percentage of members needed to vote in favour?

Wow. That is insulting. Maybe not personally insulting but insulting none the less. 

Chris Johnston

John,

David,

While I think you would agree the the financial operations of the club are and should remain private, the members voted to fund the course, and they don't pay for the use of the asset created.  Also, stated simply, the members who participated received consideration in return for their investment that newer non-participating members don't receive.  I don't care to elaborate further as that falls into things proprietary within the family, and between club and its members.

I recall a majority of voting members was required and, as stated earlier, the vote itself was well in excess of that mark.

Hope it helps.

CJ

David_Elvins

Thanks Chris, as impressive as the course is supposed to be, the economic aspect of the project seems like it's most extraordinary feature.

Understood that Frank and honest discussion can have it's llimits.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:57:49 AM by David_Elvins »

John Kavanaugh

Thanks Chris, as impressive as the course is supposed to be, the economic aspect of the project seems like it's most extraordinary feature.

Understood that Frank and honest discussion can have it's llimits.

Adding insults 30 mins after the initial post is a new low.

David_Elvins

Adding insults 30 mins after the initial post is a new low.

Apologies for any misunderstanding John, no insult intended.

Tim_Weiman

David Elvins:

One of the nicest golf architecture related books published in recent years was Geoff Shackelford's Cypress Point book.

My understanding is that Cypress Point Club supported Geoff's effort with the understanding that the book focus on the golf course and leave the club out of it.

I wonder if there is a lesson there for discussion of golf courses like Dismal River at Golf Club Atlas.  Seems like if we want people involved in projects - owners, architects, superintendents, member, etc. - to participate and offer insight into the golf course architecture, it might be best to take the approach Geoff Shackelford took with his Cypress Point book.
Tim Weiman

David_Elvins

Tim,

I love Geoff's book and see where you are coming from but do not agree my original question was out of line.  Chris had raised the financial side of the project on many occasions, and unlike CPC, Dismal River does not seek privacy!   I have learnt a lot on this site by asking honest and direct questions and we were all invited to join in a frank and open discussion in this thread.  Chris was welcome to be as expansive in his answer as he liked

On re-reading, I may have got sucked in by JK.  but I suppose everyone does at least once.  I do not want to get bogged down in the seedier side of this thread and have already apologised to JK for any potential misunderstanding so will leave it at that and move on.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 07:50:37 AM by David_Elvins »

Scott Warren

It seems even "the DEFINITIVE frank & open discussion" has its limits. ;D

Congrats, Dave, you got Chris to veer away from waxing lyrical about DR!

Now, about that pork chop...

Chris Johnston

It seems even "the DEFINITIVE frank & open discussion" has its limits. ;D

Congrats, Dave, you got Chris to veer away from waxing lyrical about DR!

Now, about that pork chop...

Scott,

Never miss a chance at a swipe or a dig, huh?.  That's your trade in craft, right?  If you consider that post in any way a contribution, I'm afraid I disagree.  Please leave it there so people can see it...it really does tell alot about you.

As mentioned last night, both members and investors certainly are entitled to some degree of privacy about their affairs, and there is a pretty big difference between talking about a course and a club, and sharing with people who act like 5 year olds (please see your post above) information that really is none of your affair.  If there wasn't an expectation of privacy by good people, fact is, I wouldn't mind at all opening the windows for a full review.  Dismal River is a positive story in an industry filled with heartache and disaster and, you are correct, the pork chop is a part.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Since your agenda is for full disclosure (or more likely, confrontation), why don't you take a moment to share all information about your club.  Bonnie Doon, isn't it?  And, if you aren't a member of a club, try this exercise....feel free to ask Mike Keiser, Dick Youngscap, or the owner of Rustic Canyon about their own private affairs.  Maybe then you can post something smug about the response you receive.  Go ahead, give it a try.

David asked some questions about the funding of our new course, and I answered same while recognizing that a large group of members (as at any club) would insist some details (that involve them) be kept in the private realm.  Some members are happy to talk about their experience, and others would probably prefer it not be discussed it at all.  That's the industry we work in.  That you make jokes about that shows a lot.  I wonder, was the effort nothing more than trying to find a way to slip me up?  Make me or Dismal River look bad?  Nicely played!

I've shown I'm more than happy to answer questions in this thread, and certainly have tried.  Rather than contribute, you tear down.  Rather than share, you assign motive.  Rather than celebrate, you look for weakness that isn't even there.

CJ

Tim_Weiman

Tim,

I love Geoff's book and see where you are coming from but do not agree my original question was out of line.  Chris had raised the financial side of the project on many occasions, and unlike CPC, Dismal River does not seek privacy!   I have learnt a lot on this site by asking honest and direct questions and we were all invited to join in a frank and open discussion in this thread.  Chris was welcome to be as expansive in his answer as he liked

On re-reading, I may have got sucked in by JK.  but I suppose everyone does at least once.  I do not want to get bogged down in the seedier side of this thread and have already apologised to JK for any potential misunderstanding so will leave it at that and move on.

David,

Fair enough. Mike Sweeney raised the whole issue of discussing financial matters on another thread. I'm inclined to think that is best.

As for Dismal and financial issues, I know Tom Doak well enough to know he wouldn't advocate frivolously spending money. I was also happy to hear Don Mahaffey's comments about maintenance costs. These are architectural related financial issues and those seem quite appropriate for discussion.

I don't know about discussion of business model issues. Hopefully Mike Sweeney's thread will be a good discussion.
Tim Weiman

Cliff Walston

In an effort to return this conversation to golf course architecture, I reviewed the prior posts and there seem to be three routing concerns/questions/criticisms (however you want to phrase it) about the Red Course.  Here are my thoughts on each, having played the course about half a dozen times.

•   Ski Slope Architecture – In post # 91, Tim Weiman poses the following question:

“Tim Weiman - Regarding the ski slope idea, I don't like it generally speaking. It certainly doesn't sound like a good way to encourage walking, so that is a big strike against it in my book.

Is Dismal really a ski slope course?”

Tim, my answer is unequivocally NO.  I am defining “ski slope architecture” to mean a course that starts at an elevated point and plays significantly and predominately downhill.  I too agree that this wouldn’t be an ideal design philosophy, and I would not want to see it utilized in any great degree.  To me it would seem like little more than a gimmick.  Any site that would require such an approach due to its drastic nature probable isn’t a site that should be utilized for golf in the first instance.

That said, I can’t see anyone who has played Dismal Red thinking that ski slope architecture is in use there.  Yes the course does finish at a lower elevation that it begins, but it is not a significant a difference given the landscape and I certainly don’t feel like I am playing a predominately downhill course.  Utilizing a topo map with an areal overlay, it appears the 1st and 9th tees are approximately 3450 ft in elevation and the 18th green is approximately 3340-50 ft.  I actually believe the 16th green to be the lowest point on the property (it is down river from the 18th) at 3330-40 ft.  That is 110 feet in elevation difference.   My best estimate of the 5th tee (what I think is the highest point on the property) to be about 3520 ft for a total elevation change of 190ish ft.  

(Tom Doak notes in post #101 that there is a 200-250 ft change in elevation, so maybe my line counting is off.  You are welcome to give it a shot yourself.  The map I created can supposedly be accessed at http://www.mytopo.com/review.cfm?mytopoid=109045437CB by clicking on the Preview hyperlink under Print Proof.  It has 20ft topographical lines, so it does leave something to be desired.  What it does reveal is how challenging it is to route a course on a topo.)

More important than the raw numbers, at least to me, is the feel.  After you cross the road following the tee shot on the 9th, many of those holes have an uphill component and a downhill component, leaving you asking yourself if the hole was net uphill or downhill.  For example, the 10th is overall downhill, but there is a big swale in the middle of the fairway that you walk uphill to get to the green.  The 11th is an uphill par three.  The 12th is significantly uphill on the tee shot.  13 plays downhill to the green, and 14 and 15 seem fairly level to me.  The 16th is a slight downhill par three, followed by a hugely uphill tee shot on the 17th.  The 18th plays slightly downhill.  Overall, the feel of the golf course is certainly not one of playing significantly downhill and, at least in my mind, does not come close to the “ski slope architecture” concept discussed.

Nest, I see two related concepts in much of the routing debate:  First is the notion of starting and ending near the clubhouse.  Second is the notion of starting and finishing in the same place.  I will address each separately.    

•   “Proximity to Clubhouse” – It is obviously the norm that most courses start and finish at the clubhouse, for obvious reasons.  Exceptions do exist, Lost Dunes for example.  

At Dismal, I don’t think proximity to the clubhouse is an issue at all.  First, the distance from the clubhouse to the first tees on the White and Red are longer than any other course I am aware of.  That much is obvious. But the sandhills is as biggest and grandest environment in terms of scale that I have ever seen.  That makes a huge difference.  In Manhattan, five miles is journey.  In Houston, it’s just down the road.  In Mullen, five miles is literally next-door.  

The same applies to the first tee.  There aren’t many places that it would work, but Nebraska is one of the few places that it does.  And here is the thing about that cart ride to the first tee.  I love it.  When you are at Dismal, you are essentially living in the clubhouse complex.  You eat there.  You sleep there.  Your car’s there.  You get drunk and gamble there.  It is your home for the duration of your stay.  I generally take large groups of guests when I go.  I am organizing the day’s matches, making sure people know what the plan is, etc.  When I hop in that cart, it is golf time.  I love driving past the “Play Like a Champion Today” sign on the way to the White.  I love driving down the valley with the Red Course in view.  It builds anticipation and is a crescendo of excitement.  You know you are about to go do something special.  I love it and am glad those few minutes are there.  In the same way, I get that feeling when I escape the office and jump in my car to head to the course.  I have escaped.  My mind begins preparing for the round.  Eagerness and excitement build.  I have gotten three speeding tickets on the way to the golf course.  I have never gotten one on my way home.

I took an informal poll of my 9 guests from last year and asked them how they felt about the Red Course being far from the clubhouse.  I basically got some version of the following response:  “WTF are you talking about.  The Red Course is the one that finishes below the clubhouse, right?”  

•    “Open Jaw” – Many have questions regarding the decision to end the 18th where it is, and I believe that is fair game for conversation.  It isn’t something you see very often.

Tom Doak provided the best explanation of the rationale in Post #16, which was affirmed by Chris Johnson throughout.  I don’t have anything to add to the “why” because I am neither the course designer nor the owner.  

However, I can share some insight on the feel of the routing.  Perhaps this is my own naivety or bias, but the thought that it doesn’t end at the first tee and somehow that is bad would have never entered my mind.  When I first read that criticism before I had been out there, I had to go back and look at the routing map.  I didn’t notice it.  Again, I sent an email poll to the 9 guests I took out there last year and not a single one identified the 18th as being in an unusual location or oddity relative to anything.  I got several WTF are you talking about responses as well.  If anything, I think it is absolutely in the correct spot for the 18th green below the clubhouse high upon the hill.  If anything, it would be the first tee that I would chose to relocate.    

I think the same sense of scale is at play here too.  Anywhere else, a 700 yard distance to the 1st tee would not work as well.  In Mullen, it feels like a short par 4 as someone characterized it, even though it is not.  Plus, it feels connected with the 9th hole in the vicinity, so it doesn’t feel as though it is off on its own.

I think routing, like designing an airplane or boat, is largely an exercise in compromise.  There is no perfect routing.  In reality, the best routing is one that solves a complex set of problems presented by nature, practicality, convention, and at times environmental or other regulations.  Here, I think dispensing with convention highlights the genius of the finding the correct answer to the routing question, rather than somehow implying that it was cheating to do so.

Hope this at least returns the discussion on some level to the architecture if nothing else.

Cliff
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:37:43 PM by Cliff Walston »

Carl Nichols

Cliff-
Terrific post; thanks for the information.  I've played a number of "Open Jaw" courses where either or both of the 1st tee or the 18th green isn't near the clubhouse, and I've rarely had a negative reaction.  In fact, I've played at least four courses recently where this feature didn't take anything away from the experience:  Ocean Forest (cart back to clubhouse from 18th green); Sea Island Seaside (neither 1st tee nor 18th green is next to clubhouse); Punta Espada (cart ride to first tee, which sits up on a ridge); and Congressional (18th green is separated from clubhouse by pond so you take a cart back).

Mark Pritchett

As I remember the finish at Harbour Town is not too close the clubhouse and/or first tee, perhaps someone more familiar can chime in with just how far. 

Bill Seitz

•   “Proximity to Clubhouse” – It is obviously the norm that most courses start and finish at the clubhouse, for obvious reasons.  Exceptions do exist, Lost Dunes for example.  

At Dismal, I don’t think proximity to the clubhouse is an issue at all.  First, the distance from the clubhouse to the first tees on the White and Red are longer than any other course I am aware of.  That much is obvious. But the sandhills is as biggest and grandest environment in terms of scale that I have ever seen.  That makes a huge difference.  In Manhattan, five miles is journey.  In Houston, it’s just down the road.  In Mullen, five miles is literally next-door.  

The same applies to the first tee.  There aren’t many places that it would work, but Nebraska is one of the few places that it does.  

I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to the finer points of building a golf course OR building a clubhouse (or the coarser points for that matter), and I have no doubt that you're sincere in your belief, but this strikes me as a heck of a lot of rationalization.  IF having a course start and finish near the clubhouse is a fairly standard design principle (which is an argument I don't really want to wade into), making the case that it's a principle you can suspend in rural environments doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Would you extend this to, for example, green to tee transitions?  Would it be OK to build a course where you had to drive a half mile between every hole simply because you were in a very rural area and people are used to driving far?  

I've played courses that didn't end where they started, and/or didn't start or end near the clubhouse (take Moreno Valley Ranch in SoCal as an example), and they were fine, so personally it's not something I'm going to get all bent out of shape about, but I think it's OK to say "Look, this isn't ideal, but we had to work around certain constraints and this is the best we could come up with."  There's no shame in that.  Tom basically says that same thing in #16.  But if I tried to explain that away by saying "It's really OK though, because this is Southern California and people are used to driving everywhere anyway" that would be a really bad bit of rationalization.  People who have played Dismal (I've not been there myself) seem to think the trade off was worth it.  Why not leave it at that? There's no shame in believing that Dismal Red is the best course that could have been built subject to certain constraints that couldn't be avoided.  

Anyway, don't take this as a personal attack, because that's not what's intended.  I think some of the vitriol on this and prior threads, aside from some obvious clashes of personalities, has been driven by the positions staked out by either side.  One side should be able to admit that, though not ideal, it's perfectly acceptable in some instances to have an open-jaw routing, or a start and finish that are far removed from the clubhouse.  On the other side, people should be able to realize that, though they may have a great golf course, there are some things about it that make it less than ideal, and will always detract from it a little bit when it comes to the reviews and rankings, whatever those are worth.  I don't really think this is an issue that has to have a winner and a loser.

*Moreno Valley Ranch is a perfectly fine 27 holes, but it's a stretch to say that any of the nines start and finish in the same place, or near the clubhouse, except for maybe the first hole of the mountain nine.  But everyone there rides, so who cares?  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:47:29 PM by Bill Seitz »

Bill Seitz

Tim_Weiman

Cliff Walston,

In case it wasn't clear, I have never seen Dismal and couldn't provide any description, "ski slope" related or otherwise.

My comments were merely about the concept itself - honestly I couldn't even give you the name of any course that I have played that fits this description.
Tim Weiman

Cliff Walston

Tim & Bill, no offense taken. Tim you posed a good question that I was trying to respond to. Not call you out or infer anything negative. I was trying to restore positive architectural discussion.  Bill you raise a good point.

But I think you can argue anything taken to an extreme. No I wouldn't  try and justify half mile treks to the next tee that way.  In fact I would argue the close tee to green walks on the Red excuse the longer restart walk if you will.  Half mile green to tee walks are an extreme scenario. Dismal Red isn't extreme in that sense. That is what I was trying to convey.

For a contrary example, this week's tour stop in Houston has an 18th that finishes hundreds of yards away from the clubhouse although it's close to the first tee.  No one is running from the 18th to the 1st tee there. You want to get to the clubhouse for a beer.  It's a far more egregious example of a routing ending in a spot far from the clubhouse that doesn't work.  And for the record I was a member there for almost 10 years so I am casting stones at my own house.

Edit:  I got back to my desk and the 18th in Houston is 500 yards from the clubhouse. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:07:39 PM by Cliff Walston »

Scott Warren

Chris,

I'll take the point of that post if you can point me to the thread(s) of this type started on this site by Dick Youngscap or Mike Keiser.

As for Bonnie Doon, ask away. There are several threads I have started that you can use to do so, for I am also a shameless self-promoter!

Tim_Weiman

Tim & Bill, no offense taken. Tim you posed a good question that I was trying to respond to. Not call you out or infer anything negative. I was trying to restore positive architectural discussion.  Bill you raise a good point.

But I think you can argue anything taken to an extreme. No I wouldn't  try and justify half mile treks to the next tee that way.  In fact I would argue the close tee to green walks on the Red excuse the longer restart walk if you will.  Half mile green to tee walks are an extreme scenario. Dismal Red isn't extreme in that sense. That is what I was trying to convey.

For a contrary example, this week's tour stop in Houston has an 18th that finishes hundreds of yards away from the clubhouse although it's close to the first tee.  No one is running from the 18th to the 1st tee there. You want to get to the clubhouse for a beer.  It's a far more egregious example of a routing ending in a spot far from the clubhouse that doesn't work.  And for the record I was a member there for almost 10 years so I am casting stones at my own house.

Edit:  I got back to my desk and the 18th in Houston is 500 yards from the clubhouse. 

Cliff,

Actually, I think the ski slope idea came up in a discussion between Jim Urbina and Tom Doak, not in any way related to Dismal River. Also, I think Neil Crafter mentioned the potential for a project in Malaysia with two 9 hole segments both playing downhill toward the ocean and a shuttle service to take golfers from 9 to 10. That would be crazy but perhaps for a one off at the site in question not necessarily the wrong thing to do.

Generally speaking I am in favor of the traditional rules. But, each site has to be assessed individually and the best design won't always 100 percent follow all the rules.
Tim Weiman

Chris Shaida

Is this sort if arrangement common in America?  It strikes me as a technique that would be hard to transfer to other clubs? Not something that many memberships would vote for?  What percentage of members needed to vote in favour?

So David, just to give you a 'clear and honest answer' to each part of your first question:

the members donated money to the ownership group = No
so as to increase the assets of the ownership group = No
and allow them to charge members for use of said assets = No

so, are you right to say = no

Hope that clears that up!

Now, is what happened at Dismal 'common in America'? Yes.  It happens at many clubs in America (perhaps more at older clubs in the East where the word 'equity' isn't used) and at those clubs it's usually called an 'assessment'.  At some clubs that requires a majority vote, at others a 2/3rds vote.  Essentially, the core economic concept at play in most clubs is 'use value' rather than 'financial return': club members vote for an assessment because they believe that they will get use value out of whatever improvements are made, NOT because they will get a financial return (that is return of capital plus some yield).  It's important to understand that the vast majority of clubs in America today do not make money (that is their annual expenses are equal to the sum of the dues of their members); so there is no 'profit' available for a financial investor and as such 'improvements' made have little or no financial value.  Another way to say that is that most clubs are worth LESS than the land they sit on (that is they are worth the land value for some other purpose --housing, shopping center, etc. -- MINUS the cost of demolishing the course, clubhouse, pool, etc.)

And at a really simple level most of the clubs we admire on this site came about because a group of people got together and chipped into a kitty that no one of them could or wanted to fund all by themselves (PV being the exception of course) i order to get something they would get mutual use value from. And then each year they chip in whatever it takes to keep that thing usable.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:00:54 PM by Chris Shaida »

Matthew Essig

I stopped reading this thread a while back because I couldn't take it anymore. I can't believe I am about to do this, but here is my two cents.

Golf. Get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible. It is my belief that the essence of golf is what occurs from tee to hole. The best part should be what happens during this time no matter how many times it is repeated (9, 13, 16, 18, 20, whatever). If Tom found the best 18 holes, regardless of the gap back to clubhouse, 1st tee, etc., then I believe he succeeded.

I have never been there so I shouldn't comment on if it TRULY is the best routing, but from what I have heard and seen from pictures, he did a spectacular job.

Just my two cents. Cheers.

Matthew Essig

P.S. Thank you all for the vast amount of info for my studies. This site is so grand there is no word I can think of to encompass just how grand it is. Just because there are major hiccups in the site, I hope the site stays intact. The site is invaluable.
Even though they may never see this, I write this PostScript as a thank you to those who have left the site and those who have taken a hiatus because of the events that have occurred over the past few days. Thanks and good luck to you in the future. Cheers!
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Michael Moore

Mr. Johnston -

Although I have always found frank commentary behind every click on this site, I thank you for carving out this thread.

I recently read in Golfweek that, regarding the Red Course, "You can forget notions of prevailing winds here, which is one reason there's no slope/rating for the scorecard nor fixed handicap index per hole." This seems odd to me. Please know that as an expert golfer I do not truly care about course rating and slope. However, as a state-level director I am invested in institutional conformity, and we should all care about what is published.

In the ensuing discussion, it was suggested that the course is not rated because the rating would be too low, because the community is intimate enough to roll their own course handicaps, and also, "LOL".

Personally, I noticed that the White Course has ten published course ratings and that many other courses with strong and diverse winds are also rated. My suspicion is that the Red Course is either too unopened or too fashionable for a slope and course rating. I would be interested in hearing from you on this matter.

Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back