News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: R&A to vote on admitting women as members
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2014, 08:59:38 AM »

They were also told by Peter Dawson to vote "yes" if they wanted to keep their membership.  Not really a "free" vote.

If this were actually true, it'd be interesting.  But is it actually true?

Sorry for not responding to this earlier.  I've been not really following the thread.

However, I was told this (first-hand) by a member of the R&A.

The writing was on the wall by the media and general public opinion.  Let's take a step back and look at this objectively.  Do you really think the R&A would have made their vote public before the vote if they did not know beyond a shadow of doubt that the vote would be returned as a majority "YES"?

I feel we are all intelligent here.

I'm definitely coming late to this bun fight and while Mr Huntley undoubtedly doesn't need any haunders fae me, as they say round this way, let me use some of the intelligence we've all been credited with and point out a flaw in Carsons theory on the R&A threatening expulsion on any members voting against letting women in.

The R&A unless I'm mistaken is a members club. Ignoring any issues relating to what the club's constitution says about expelling members, how does a club go about expelling a majority of members who effectively control the club ? Or perhaps the threatened expulsion only applies to those voting against the proposal in the instance of the proposal being voted through ? I think I'm right in saying that 15% voted against the proposal which must translate to certainly a few hundred members at least. I've got to think expelling that many members would create a far bigger stooshie than not admitting lady members in the first place.

Just a thought.

Niall

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2015, 12:19:07 PM »

Will someone here confirm that Laura Davies is not in the LPGA's Hall of Fame? If so this must be the toughest nut to crack in the golfing world.

Bob

Dave McCollum

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/announcement-eases-restrictions-womens-hof/

Hi Bob,

This link explains how the criteria have been modified to allow her inclusion this year.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »
Be interesting to see who the ordinary members are. More important than the headline honorary ones.
Cave Nil Vino

Ryan Coles

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »
Be interesting to see who the ordinary members are. More important than the headline honorary ones.

They're on the list above in David's link.

Mrs Bonnallack made it in against the almost insurmountable odds stacked against her admission.

Niall C

« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »
The university released a statement, saying, “We wish the R&A every success and look forward to the resumption of the tradition by which previous Principals of St. Andrews were invited to become honorary members.”

What do you think the odds would be that Louise Richardson wrote that Press Release herself ? It must be very galling for her that she can't use the dinning room at the R&A clubhouse. Surely a sad loss to the game of golf.

Anyway, congratulations to all the ladies involved, and especially pleased for Belle Robertson, the local hero.

Niall

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »

Re the Provost of the University sans invitation, she would have been a shoe in had she not got her nickers in a knot some weeks ago.

Bob

Kirk Gill

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2015, 10:12:54 AM »
Please forgive my ignorance, but I have a question. Earlier in this thread there was a discussion on the fact that the R&A was both a private club and a ruling body for golf around the world. The notion was presented that the men's-only private club had a right to be men's only if that's what the members wanted (a notion that I tend to agree with, generally speaking). But as to the part of the R&A that is a ruling body - prior to this vote, is it true that there were literally NO women that were allowed to participate in those functions? If that is the case, it boggles the mind. I understand that in 2004 there was a reorganization and a separate company was created to handle the "ruling" functions. Have women had no place in that company since 2004? I'm far less interested in the fact that women are now allowed to join the club, and much more curious about the role of women in administering the game. Makes me curious about the USGA, for that matter.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Jud_T

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:56 AM »

Re the Provost of the University sans invitation, she would have been a shoe in had she not got her nickers in a knot some weeks ago.

Bob

Bob,

Based on the tone of her comments she obviously cared more about the idea of women being admitted than her personally being admitted, unless she is shockingly ignorant for someone in her position.  She did, perhaps, help push this thing over the finish line and for that I give her due credit.  Some times the old boys need a swift kick in pants.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
The university released a statement, saying, “We wish the R&A every success and look forward to the resumption of the tradition by which previous Principals of St. Andrews were invited to become honorary members.”

What do you think the odds would be that Louise Richardson wrote that Press Release herself ? It must be very galling for her that she can't use the dinning room at the R&A clubhouse. Surely a sad loss to the game of golf.

Niall

Apparently the Principal's used to take foreign visitors to lunch there. Must be costing the University a bloody fortune, treating guests outside the R&A.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »
Kirk some years ago the R&A organisation running golf split from the members club, due to potential liaibilty to members of the club was sued. The R&A had a female director in 2011 and there are no doubt women in senior paid employment. The Royal and Ancient GolF Club of St Andrews is the members club.
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »
I love history and I loved talking to Bob Huntley about historical events.

With recent events at The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, I thought this was worth a bump.

For those that are not aware, Bob Huntley was a member of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:33:11 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Sean_A

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2017, 05:56:21 AM »
I don't really care who is a member of the Royal & Ancient GC.  What is far more pertinent to the question of women is how the R&A is getting on.  There has been a new Chief Exec for a few years now...is there more than one woman in executive management now than was the case under Dawson?  Now that the LGU has merged with the R&A this question will become more and more pressing....not to mention persons of colour.  When I last checked the exec positions (2015)...19 white males...1 white female. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:07:27 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Kirk Gill

« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2020, 01:24:02 PM »
Bumping this old thread.

Has there been any change?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Niall C

« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2020, 07:14:18 AM »
I don't think so Kirk, women are still allowed to be members.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back