News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jud_T

Re: R&A to vote on admitting women as members
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
and only 96 years after women got the vote in Britain.  Who said these guys weren't forward thinkers....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Malach

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:37:12 PM »
I dislike the tenor around discussion around this R&A members issue. The R&A is a private club its membership issues should not be of public concern. Also if the R&A allow women will the St. Rule have to allow men? The clubs system in St. Andrews is beyond me but there seams to be less caring about the single gender clubs there as there is a mix of strong men's and women's clubs and this context is lost in most discussions about this issue.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »
Ben,

Not sure if you realize it, but the R&A is a bit more than a private mens club.  Once they started operating in the broader public domain they became fair game for public criticism.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:41:37 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
Ben,

Not sure if you realize it, but the R&A is a bit more than a private mens club.  Once they started operating in the broader public domaine they became fair game for public criticism.

Think Shoal Creek and the Masters for US examples. 

Ben Malach

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »
I understand where the R&A sits in the world of golf. But the R&A for me is two different things one of them is as a ruling body the other as a private club. There is some overlap of course but I see it as a private club unless when organizing championships or when it makes the rules. Which for the championships it only handles the men's side of the competition. I am in no way arguing for segregation but I am trying to give a more complete picture than the one given by traditional commentators who have not had the privilege of spending time in St. Andrews to understand the club system there. Which is run on gender segregated clubs. It is the context of the different way that the clubs cooperate and play matches against each other. Which make the town club system very different than any other golfing environment I have ever seen or heard about. It is in this light that my earlier comments emanate from. I hope this makes my point more clear to the reader.      
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 03:15:06 PM by Ben Malach »
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
Ben a senior R&A member was saying the other day of course R&A Ltd runs golf but all the committees are run by R&AGC of StA members. The seperation is more to do with personal liability for club debts. The feeling is it's about clearing Dawson's desk before he retires and is linked to the Olympics as well.
Cave Nil Vino

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »

My only question is, will the nonagenarians who have lockers in the Big Room be able to dress and undress in front of the new Lady Members?

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »

My only question is, will the nonagenarians who have lockers in the Big Room be able to dress and undress in front of the new Lady Members?

Bob

What do you think?   ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 01:07:40 AM »
this vote is also Thursday. No polling data. Odds?

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 07:52:36 PM »
Tommy,

The writer reports as follows.

The R&A expect comfortably in excess of 300 members to attend the September business meeting where a two-thirds majority will be needed to make the historic change. That there is no provision for proxy or postal votes may worry some of the more progressive members who fear that it is the locals, the club habitués, who are the keener to stay with the status quo. - See more at: http://www.globalgolfpost.com/blog/royal-ancient-club-moves-toward-female-membership/?

He is either deaf or just a lousy writer.

The vote is not to be for the 300 or so in attendance but ballots have been sent around the world.

I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago.

Bob

Steve Lang

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »
 8) is there a Tattenham Corner in the future for the Suffragettes?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/may/26/emily-davison-suffragette-death-derby-1913
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:25:20 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 01:47:53 AM »
Bob of course they did originally opt for a personal ballot then changed to postal in response to disenfranchising most of the membership!
Cave Nil Vino

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »

From The Scotsman:
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/top-stories/royal-and-ancient-set-to-vote-on-women-members-1-3544964

From Golf's 2020 Vision, the HSBC Report:
"The game is continuing to grow in popularity, broadening its international base, building new audiences and recruiting new players, in new markets, but needs to keep modernising to stay in touch with the times. For some in the game, this will be a challenge. But the only thing worse than change is irrelevance."

Lyne

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ruediger Meyer

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 01:53:14 PM »
And comfortably. 85% voted yes

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »
Is this likely to have any impact (through say precedent/embarrassment) on the likes of Muirfield, Troon, Sandwich, etc?

Indeed, I wonder how many of the 85% who voted 'yes' also happen to be members of 'men only' clubs?

atb

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 03:12:14 PM »
Thomas I'd say no, the R&A represent the game and being men only was untenable. Private clubs are different, the test will be how much Sandwich, Troon and Muirfield want the Open in the future.
Cave Nil Vino

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
The Today Programme this morning on R4 said The Honourable Co of Gentlepersons and RSG were actively looking at this but Troon wasn't. They didn't cite their sources and I think Troon already have a Ladies Club with access rights.

If someone cares to offer me reasonable odds, I'll wager £100 each on the first two finding a way round this within 15 years. That is they will agree to admitt women members , form a Women's club or similar.   I've spoken to quite a number of peple who think this vote will make no difference at all to the clubs, so I say to them what odds will you offer for easy money?  If they're that confident 1:10 seems reasonable?

RSG are supposed to be on guard for a 2019 return if Portrush can be ready in time. The landslide on this can't have helped thier cause.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
What's the point of belonging to a club if there are no girls there to hit on? Voting to allow women is the biggest duh move of the century.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »
What's the point of belonging to a club if there are no girls there to hit on? Voting to allow women is the biggest duh move of the century.

Tell that to our old farts who insist on continuing the male only men's grill at my club.  I suggested to my spouse that the angry women utilize the Sabine trick of withholding sex.  She said, "What would be the point?"

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »
I still can't quite figure out why anybody who is not a member of the R&A cares about the membership policy.  Strange that, but it seems many people can't help poking their noses...

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 07:05:25 PM »

The vote is yes.  Well done to the R&A.

Not sure this is the way I'd characterize it.  More like deciding to throw out the stagnant bath-water and not the baby with it.

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 07:10:12 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/18/royal-and-ancient-golf-club-women-ban

"This is a very important and positive day in the history of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club," said Dawson.

Lyne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back