News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Did Lawsonia go too far?
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »
Finally, we have an overriding focus on customer service. Everything we do is about putting the customer first.

JK-  put that in your pipe and gnaw on it.... 8)

This is from the link.  $145 all day play rate on the weekends.  I aways thought Lawsonia was selling value.

John:

Get out from under your table of bid sheets and come up to Wisconsin; in one week (starting Oct. 6) the walking rate for 18 at Lawsonia drops to $35 (and $25 after 1 p.m., and you can still get in 18 starting at that time up here). I'm not sure there is a better value in all of golf. Worth seeing; it's been 6 years or so, hasn't it?  ;D A lot has changed since then... http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32829.0.html

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
This reminds me of another course that believed their Golfweek ranking and raised fees to soon go out of business.  If you think Jesus saves go to Golfnow and see what they are really getting.  Besides the shaft, that is.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
Finally, we have an overriding focus on customer service. Everything we do is about putting the customer first.

JK-  put that in your pipe and gnaw on it.... 8)

This is from the link.  $145 all day play rate on the weekends.  I aways thought Lawsonia was selling value.

John:

Get out from under your table of bid sheets and come up to Wisconsin; in one week (starting Oct. 6) the walking rate for 18 at Lawsonia drops to $35 (and $25 after 1 p.m., and you can still get in 18 starting at that time up here). I'm not sure there is a better value in all of golf. Worth seeing; it's been 6 years or so, hasn't it?  ;D A lot has changed since then... http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32829.0.html

Phil,

Thanks for the link.  I feel like I am sinking into that America's Club demo.  Maybe someday.

George Freeman

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Frank Pont

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 05:15:38 PM »
NO, if anything, not far enough....

Phil McDade

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »
NO, if anything, not far enough....

Frank:

They are about 90 percent there -- there are very few trees that realistically come into play anymore on the course, and those may not be long for the world. And there are still some bunkers to be restored, but those aren't cheap -- my sense is that they are on the drawing board, and it's simply a matter of pacing those out over a period of years to absorb the cost in the course's operating budget.

Brian Hilko

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2014, 11:04:50 PM »
No- 13 may be one of the finest par 5s in the country now. We had fantastic firm and fast conditions when I was there this summer. I brought two lawsonia "virgins" with me and they were completely blown away. One day the masses will wake up and realize how amazing this place is.
Down with the brown

Zack Molnar

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2014, 01:15:26 PM »
I just got back from my first round at Lawsonia, and it was awesome. I cant believe that picture of 14 with all the trees! I believe that it is a far better hole now, and 13 is far better without the trees as well. If you lay up down in the valley, you have no aiming point with the trees gone, further adding to the dilemma of deciding to reach the green in two.

There are definitely a few trees that I could stand to see go (tee shot on 5 comes to mind) but I think they have done a remarkable job looking at old pictures. I cant believe the course has fallen in the rankings. The course was in perfect condition this weekend. Hopefully it isn't another hard winter and the turf can be great right from the start of the season.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »
After playing 36 holes there yesterday in an Illinois vs. Wisconsin competition organized by Dan Moore (I got to play for Wisconsin -- a once-in-a-lifetime "opportunity"), I would like to answer the thread's title. My answer is: NO!

Terrific place to play golf, and getting better all the time.

The fewer the trees (e.g., Nos. 10, 13 and 14), the bolder the architecture looks.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jason Topp

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 10:11:47 AM »
After playing 36 holes there yesterday in an Illinois vs. Wisconsin competition organized by Dan Moore (I got to play for Wisconsin -- a once-in-a-lifetime "opportunity"), I would like to answer the thread's title. My answer is: NO!

The fewer the trees (e.g., Nos. 10, 13 and 14), the bolder the architecture looks.

Agreed.  The hole is a terrific short par 3 and does not need trees.  While the greens at the course are in fabulous condition one can see the benefits of removing trees by comparing the condition of the hole in question to that of the 7th where the grass is comparatively thin.  Add some significant weather stress and I suspect the difference would become more dramatic.

Jason Topp

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2014, 10:13:23 AM »
There was a GW rater retreat in May that included a visit to Lawsonia.
It was late spring after a tough winter and the course showed it. Lots of die back. Many dead patches of grass in fairways and on a number of greens. This may have something to do with it dropping so many places. 20-30 raters giving low scores could bring it down and could have something to do with it.

My 2 cents.

I wondered how this place could have dropped so quickly.

PCCraig

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »

Agreed.  The hole is a terrific short par 3 and does not need trees.  While the greens at the course are in fabulous condition one can see the benefits of removing trees by comparing the condition of the hole in question to that of the 7th where the grass is comparatively thin.  Add some significant weather stress and I suspect the difference would become more dramatic.

Jason,

Did you finally make your first visit to Lawsonia?
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2014, 12:28:53 PM »

Jason,

Yes.  Loved it.

PCCraig

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2014, 12:35:38 PM »

Agreed.  The hole is a terrific short par 3 and does not need trees.  While the greens at the course are in fabulous condition one can see the benefits of removing trees by comparing the condition of the hole in question to that of the 7th where the grass is comparatively thin.  Add some significant weather stress and I suspect the difference would become more dramatic.

Jason,

Yes.  Loved it.

When you have time let's get together for a beer, would be interested to hear specifics of what you thought!
H.P.S.

Dan Moore

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:23 PM »
Sorry you missed the fun Pat. 

Here are a couple of shots of Lawsonia in the Fall.

And the site of Jason's match winning birdie, still glowing in the Fall sun. 

"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

RJ_Daley

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2014, 12:52:28 AM »
Thank you for those pics Dan.  They may be some of the best I have ever seen and why I think Lawsonia is the magic course in fall.  So sorry I had to miss it.  I am hoping for next year in fall. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back