News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Kelly

The Berkshire - Red or Blue?
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »
If I've only got the chance to play one course,  which should it be?

James Boon

Re: The Berkshire - Red or Blue?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »
Tom,

I've been lucky enough to experience the 36 hole day at the Berkshire on a number of occasions. From that I would say Brian has it about right and if you are only able to play 18, go for the Red.

I feel its the better course of the two, flows nicely throughout the round and offers good consistently interesting and visually appealing golf. There is also the bonus of the quirky 6 par 3s, 6 par 4s and 6 par 5s.

However this would mean missing the par 3 opener on the blue and the strong homeward stretch which probably has some of the best holes at the club, and also makes for a tougher challenge. The counter balance to this is that the majority of the front 9 is a little dull in comparison to the rest of the holes at the club. Not bad golf though in the slightest.

Perhaps if you only have the chance for 18 holes you should play Swinley and come back to the Berkshire when you can do the full experience?  ::)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
I'd lean towards the Red as well. Although both courses would both get the same ranking on Tom's scale (6), I think there is some cooler parts of the property on the Red.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
From memory a few years back on here we worked out a fairly user-friendly composite course that took in most of the best holes on both courses.

If it's a quiet day, play that!

Otherwise Red (concur with what the other said about 11-16 Blue, but Red is the more enjoyable overall).

Tom Kelly

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I managed to play the Red course and had a great time, though I had to shoot off afterwards so I couldn't sample the carvery....I suppose that means I'll have to go back and do 36 with a carvery lunch at some point!

I was really impressed by the course. I tried to relax and take everything in rather than over think each hole so I think I'd need a few more plays before I could really form too many solid opinions about the course, but here are a few quick things I did notice;

- The scale of the property is off the chart, the stretch around the turn is just huge, 10 is epic in every sense of the word.

- the 6-6-6 mix makes for really interesting golf that keeps you on your toes which I loved. Definitely no monotonous par 4 stretches, though the 5's were generally on the short side and I could see them producing some low scores.

- I felt the course was often lacking in interest from the tee. I'd have to play there more to see if greens favoured approaches from different angles or lengths more but at first view there didn't seem to be many questions asked of line or length from the tee. The only ones I really noticed were on 5, 11 and 13 where after hitting my best drive of the day I found myself down in the huge dip with a blind second from a hanging lie, whilst my partner was 40 yards behind me but on a perfect flat lie with an inviting view of the green.

- There are some really cool dips, hollows and banks around the greens, often hidden away behind bunkers and mounds that make for some horrible chip shots if you miss the green on the wrong side....I experienced lots of these.

- Without being too wild, the greens had plenty of break and variety and looked like they would be great fun for the member sin the height of summer.

On first view I'd say it was maybe a notch down from Sunningdale, but only just and after another look I maybe convinced otherwise.

Swinley is on the list for the near future James!

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but I had the pleasure of playing both courses at the Berkshire a couple of weeks ago. It was one of the best 36-hole days I’ve had in a long time. I was the first one out in the morning on the Blue. The fog was so thick when I teed off I couldn’t make out the green beyond the field of heather. Bob, the caddie master, pointed out the barely visible left greenside bunker and suggested that I aim a bit right of that… and I was off. It was almost mystical being out there walking through the mist.  I’m a contrarian here- I preferred the Blue to the Red based on the strength of the back 9, which was my favorite 9 hole stretch of the four.  I played the Addington and Hankley Common the following two days. It was a whirlwind trip, 3 days in the grey skies of England added at the end of a 3 day visit to my son in the blue skies of Florence, but well worth the travel time. Links to photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157647561025461/  The Berkshire Blue
https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157647617678235/ The Berkshire Red
https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157647110962960/ Hankley Common
https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157647061149128/  The Addington
https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157647448235146/  Poggio dei Medici

Berkshire Blue #15 from tee P1050406r

Berkshire Red #10 200 yard monster par 3 P1050458r

Hankley Common #7 par 3  190 yards uphill P1050515r

The Addington #9  approach bP1050596r

Poggio Dei Medici #9 view back b P1050291r

Josh Stevens

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 09:42:29 PM »
I always preferred the blue as there were some stronger holes there I thought, however I never liked the 1st.  Well, I never liked it as the first - its a solid hole, but 200yrd par three over a chasm is no way to start a round after a long lunch

Tom Kelly

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »
Great set of photos Stewart, thanks.

Paul Gray

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
I'm just planning/playing around with options for the odd away day with a friend this forthcoming summer. The usual format involves golf on day one followed by cricket at Lords on the next (spectating, rather than playing, since it now seems unlikely that my inaccurate, non-turning finger spin won't be in huge demand). This all means that the day of golf should be fun rather than taxing and shouldn't take it out of our (my) prematurely ageing bones so much that we can't make it to the cricket!

Anyway, this year we are playing with 36 hole options and I confess to knowing almost nothing about The Berkshire (comments noted  ;)). I've always just assumed both courses are very good but a quick look at the club website suggests a little tree clearance could be required. Pictures on GCA however suggest nothing of the sort. My friend has about as much regard for trees as I do, meaning that he'd welcome localised tornadoes at certain golf courses.

Any advice will be welcomed.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 01:53:17 PM »
"Any advice will be welcomed."

Paul G. -

After reading what is already posted here, how much more advice do you need? ;)

The Berkshire makes a wonderful day, with 2 fine courses and a good lunch. I suppose one could argue that the Old & New at Sunningdale or Walton Heath might be "better," but can't go wrong at any of those 3 venues.

DT

Paul Gray

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »
David,

Sunningdale is the other option, since I plan on inviting myself to play Walton with Sheehy.  ;D

I suppose, having looked at the website, I just wanted a bit of reassurance. Thanks for providing just that. Much appreciated.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Paul Gray

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 07:57:08 AM »
Mr Sheehy,

Many thanks for that. I like to be sure before crossing the Hampshire border. My escapades into Surrey these days don't tend to see me going north of Camberley or Hindhead, both of which are close enough to the border should I feel the need to retreat. I won't bore you with details of the friend of a friend being the pro at Swinley and the ongoing debarkel that is arranging a game but it's inevitably the other major consideration.

Oh, and as a couple of foodies, a good lunch will always appeal.

But enough about all that. If anyone feels the urge, maybe some intelligent comments about the effects of the tree clearance? Have formerly lost angles been brought back into play?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 02:48:10 PM »
Swinley the best value??

A cop or vicar with MCC membership get a very generous discount at Sunningdale and The Berkshire!
Cave Nil Vino

Paul Gray

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 06:04:53 PM »
Swinley the best value??

A cop or vicar with MCC membership get a very generous discount at Sunningdale and The Berkshire!

But presumably not an atheist criminal such as me?  Hold on, must see how my friends MCC membership is progressing. I think there are a few deaths required yet before he makes it and it's been a mild winter.  ;D

But really,  penny for penny, i.e. £160 vs £295, how about a little unofficial matchplay between the two 36 hole options? Compare and contrast the two experiences.

David_Elvins

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 10:35:04 PM »
If you are not into exerting yourself, I would take 36 holes at Swinley over The Berkshire.

A lovely walk.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Sean_A

Re: The Berkshire - Red or Blue? New
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 03:44:28 AM »
Swinley is arguably the best value as £165 is the day rate.

I don't think value is a word that applies to Swinley.  I know right now the course is being spruced up, but lets hope some money is invested in the greens.  For £165 Swinley should be in much better nick than how it is presented.  Good value indeed  ::)

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:48:50 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Marc Haring

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 10:27:45 AM »
Sean.

I think Swinley suffered from a degree of ineptitude on the agronomic management side of things but understand that this problem has been satisfactorily dealt with. What's happened to Trevose's greens? I was due to play there soon.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back