News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Rusinko

Play Oakmont Country Club - April 21, 2014
« on: March 13, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
The Western Pennsylvania Golf Association (WPGA) will hold a fundraiser golf outing at Oakmont Country Club on Monday, April 21, 2014.  Proceeds will benefit the WPGA Scholarship Fund which was established in 1927 and provides tuition assistance to employees of WPGA Member Clubs.
Entry Fee of $1,000 per player includes memento gift, practice range & locker, deli buffet luncheon, on course refreshments, 18 holes of golf with caddie, skill prizes and post round hors d’oeuvres & refreshments.
More information on the event can be found here: http://wpga.org/nws/2014/140227-wpga-scholarship-fund-golf-outing-oakmont-country-club.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:45:41 PM by Matt Rusinko »

Wade Whitehead

Re: Play Oakmont Country Club - April 21, 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »
What's the format?

WW

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:09:31 PM »
What's the subsidy?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 06:38:02 PM »
Matt,

Great first post!!!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:24:54 PM »
What's the format?

WW
check with WPGA, but when I played one there about 5 years ago it was best ball (WPGA/First Tee).

ChipRoyce

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:30:40 AM »

Matt Rusinko

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I am the Championship Director for the WPGA and will attempt to answer any questions you guys throw at me as I periodically check the board.  Pretty cool website you have here.  I particularly loved the article on the history of the Penn State Golf Courses which is where we will conduct our 114th Amateur Championship later this year.

In regard to some of the questions about the Oakmont event:
a.) There is no format for the day, each group will play as they see fit.  It is not a scramble or shamble or anything of the like.  All players may individually play their own ball from tee to hole out.
b.) I expect the tax deductible portion of the fee to be in the $450-$500 range.  We have not officially released this information as of the moment.
c.) We prefer registration in foursomes but will accept entries in twosomes and pair them with other twosome requests as they come in.

This will be one of the few opportunities to play Oakmont in your own group until after the 2016 US Open.  We hope some of you can make it to Pittsburgh.  The last time the event was held in 2008 about 1/3 of the field were Golf Club Atlas members.

Thank you for your attention.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:23:06 PM »
1/3 of the field? Lets here it guys who has played this before? Nobody is going to cross reference the "most you have ever paid to play a round" thread! All kidding aside, Oakmont is one of the most special places in the world. I can think of a lot worse ways to spend that money. Appreciate the info Matt.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »
Shotgun start?

WW

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »
I know getting the chance to play Oakmont is a once in a lifetime opportunity for many.

But would April 21st be a good time of the year to play for $1000.00

Not trying to be negative, more of an inquiry.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »
I'm glad that some people on this site/in the world of golf have $1000 to freely spend on anything. Events/Threads like this one remind me precisely how deep in the minority I am on this DG. I'm not looking for pity (except from those bleeding hearts PM and JK) but I do like to remind people from time to time that $1K is not chump change for everyone.

Matt, I know that your job as championship director is a huge challenge. I do a bit of work with the Buffalo District GA board and can only imagine multiplying that time to the nth degree. I wish you very great success with this event and all of your events in 2014. Pittsburgh is an outstanding topography for golf.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Matt Rusinko

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »
Thank you for the continued feedback. 

The event is a 12:30 shotgun start.

We hope that it is recognized that this is a fundraiser for a cause that provides about $4000 per student ($16,000 over their college career per student) each year to 12-13 students of whom work at WPGA Member Clubs.   

You can find more details on the scholarship fund here: http://wpga.org/sch/scholarship.html 

We hope those who plan to attend understand that the $1000 fee covers more than just a round of golf at one of the worlds finest golf courses, probably the world's greatest competition course, and that it will have a significant impact on students who qualify for one of our scholarships.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 11:25:41 AM »
Matt,

I hope my comment about the money was not taken wrong. I would love to play Oakmont and 1K is not so out of hand especially with it going to a good cause.

My comment was more about the conditions of the course in April after such a harsh winter.

Matt Rusinko

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 12:04:47 PM »
I understand.  We hope the conditions are great come April 21, but who knows after this crazy winter.  It just won't go away.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 12:35:36 PM »
I played in this event the last time it was held at Oakmont, which if I'm not mistaken was in 2007, the same year Angel Cabrera won the Open there.

The event that year was held in late October and conditions were SUPERB.  It wasn't $1000.00 to play in '07 but you do get to play whichever format you prefer and for that kind of money, you'll obviously want to play your own ball, which isn't a problem.  I know there were a number of GCAers in attendance and I played with one but I don't recall bumping into anyone else in person - at that time, I was brand new to this site and likely was a bit on the shy side.

A bummer was the fact that I couldn't use the tax deduction as a resident of Canada but if you have the means, it's a great charity you're supporting, the golf course is one of the world's best and the event itself is first-class.  

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
I flew in from the west coast just for the 2007 event, and returned west the next day. It was worth it. Tossed in a dinner with George Pazin, too. Enjoy the course, enjoy the clubhouse.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »
Has Doak read this thread?  It could be his big chance to finally play Oakmont.  :)

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »
Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for posting this information.  I have been very eager to play Oakmont for over two decades so this is important news to me.  I do have one question, if you would be so kind.  I understand that the weather is beyond the club's control, but I wonder about the playing conditions.  Oakmont seems to be one of the few clubs that is somehow able to maintain (or exceed) major championship green speeds on a regular basis.  I have also heard reports that the greens and runups are normally kept quite firm.  Do you expect firm and fast conditions for the event, or does the club tend to soften the course a bit on in late April for the charity tournaments?

Many thanks,
Wade

Matt Rusinko

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »
I didn't get a chance to play Oakmont in 2013 but in 2012 I played it the first week of May & the last week of September, to be honest the conditions were not much different in either circumstance.  I actually shaved a few strokes off my score in the late September session.  Oakmont is Oakmont, it is pretty awesome to play any time and conditions don't change much except during the dry part of summer when they can really control the conditions and water, to a certain extent, on the course. 

Matt Rusinko

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »
We have extended the deadline for entry through April 16.  If you you want in, we are looking for singles and twosomes to fill out a few groups.

Thanks again.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 09:41:27 AM »
Matt or anyone,

If you hear of another chance to play Oakmont through another charity event or whatever , please post it.

I am dying to play Oakmont, the timing just didnt work for me this time.

Cliff Walston

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »
Matt or anyone,

If you hear of another chance to play Oakmont through another charity event or whatever , please post it.

I am dying to play Oakmont, the timing just didnt work for me this time.

I am in the exact same position.  I discovered Ran's review of Oakmont leading up to the US Open, and that's how I discovered GCA.  Have been dying to play it ever since but just couldn't make it work this year.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:28 AM »
Matt,

Let us know how it went. post of some pictures if you participated.

hope you were able to fill all the spots

Paul Jones

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 06:14:28 PM »
Quite a few of us from here played it 4-5 years ago in this tournament and had a blast. I'm just surprised it is in April as we played in October.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »
Matt,

So how was it ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back