News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daniel Jones

Re: Ocala Golf Club, FL (Photo Tour)
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 07:07:41 PM »
Well, as they say, there's a first time for everything. Today, I played a round of golf with the primary objective of examining a stump. Both this and the sight were definitely a first...

/center]

The new tree, say nothing of the stump, looks totally out of place, though I'm sure my memories of the old tree have instilled a little bias. While I'd just assume see both of these disappear, I guess the one upside is either way this area short of the green will finally see grass.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:13:31 PM by Daniel Jones »

Rees Milikin

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 07:23:37 PM »
Definitely need to get back and play so I can experience it without a tree.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 09:14:57 AM »
Work began yesterday on a re-grass of all 18 greens. The summer transition has been brutal the last few years with the current Emerald Dwarf. They are switching to TifEagle, and will hopefully be ready to go by mid-October.

They are also working on many of the bunker faces throughout the course, which have grown higher and higher over the last few years. I like them as is, but I also see what happens after every summer rainstorm. Michael Beebe, who did our 2009 renovation, is on the project and I'm confident the outcome will be just as great this time around.

The par-3 2nd hole, currently 60 yards...

BCowan

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 10:05:08 PM »
Dan,

Anymore photos of the new greens? 

Daniel Jones

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 07:34:14 AM »
Work on the greens has been progressing, but I have failed to snap any photos. They don't appear to have started the bunker portion of the project yet. I'll get by sometime this week and get a closer look.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »

We have sprigs...

Walked all 18 yesterday..all the greens have received a fresh round of sod on the fringe. Bunker work started this week, but I haven't noticed any changes. Face of the pond at #6 has been rebuilt, which was a dire need. They're still saying back to regular greens in late September.

BCowan

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
Here are some photos provided by Dan Jones. These photos are some of the most significant holes that were changed during the renovation. I included them above to compare and contrast to the older photos.  The greens are playing nice and firm I'm told with the new grass.  The bunkers were changed from a flash face to a grass face. 

Hole #6

Hole #7

Hole #10

Hole #11

Hole #12

Hole #17
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:12:01 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2016, 04:00:24 PM »
Thanks to Ben Cowan for posting this review and being a fan of Ocala. It is a pretty long trip (almost 2 hours) from Disney but it is a really solid course and I am glad I made the trip. At $38 with yardage book included, it is really high on the value scale. I walked and we actually had to let a threesome of older front tee players go through us.

Nice day all ways, as "downtown" Ocala is a nice spot too.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

BCowan

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 07:16:11 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Our very own hometown boy and GCAer Dan Jones wrote a book about OGC, called Muni.  A very good read and I recommend it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Muni-History-Ocala-Golf-Club/dp/1457546574/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483143264&sr=8-1&keywords=muni

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back