News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Ocala Golf Club, FL (Photo Tour)
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »
Photos by Ress Milikin and new ones by Dan Jones (thanks)

Ocala Golf Club is a muni in Ocala, FL.   It was renovated by Michael Beebe in 2009.  I play this course every time I go to Florida in mid December and am obsessed with it.  The land has really good change of elevation and yet it is easy to walk.  I think it has many of the things we enjoy on GCA (maybe lacking wide corridors).  Shaved areas around the green for great options.  Great bunkering and the course allows a ground game on many of the holes.  Just thought I would share this little Gem with you. 

#2 Tee, Par 5

#2 Greenside

#2 Green from #3 tee box

#3 Tee Par 3

#3 Closer view

#4 Tee Par 5

#4 Green side angle

#6 Green Par 4 (new) top one

#7 Par 5 Tee

#7 2nd shot

New

#7 Green side

#9 Par 4 Approach

#10 Par 4 Tee

#10 2nd shot

new

#10 Green side

#11 Short Par 3 Tee

new

#11 Par 3 closer view

Hole #12 (New)

#13 Par 5 Tee

#13 Approach

#13 Green side

#15 Par 4 Tee

#15 Approach

#16 Par 4 Tee

#16 Approach

#17 Par 5 Tee (Great shoot with trees from back tees!)

#17 Angled approach

new

#17 from behind Green

#18 Great Short par 4

#18 2nd shot

#18 Approach

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:27:01 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Ben Kodadek

Re: Ocala Golf Club, FL (Photo Tour)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Wow.  That looks pretty solid.  Are the greens overseeded or painted?

BCowan

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »
 Emerald Dwarf Bermuda greens, (Champion's other newer strand that Bay Hill uses i think)

They overseed, wished they had went with Champion you don't have to with it. 

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »
Thanks for the pictures of Ocala.

Will be playing it really soon along with Silver Springs.

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:05:28 PM »
Ben,

Cool looking place. I should have skipped Streamsong and joined you!

Ryan
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
Ryan

We can play both next December.

Jon Byron

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:12:39 PM »
Great photos.  Would like to play there with you as well.
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

BCowan

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »

Jon, next Dec you are in!  Might have to do a small walking event at OGC and then swing down and play Streamsong the next day!

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:16 AM »
Playing Ocala this weekend with my pops. cant wait

J Sadowsky

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
I played this course several years ago when I first picked up the game; in fact, it was my first round out by myself.  I was very impressed but was a neophyte when it came go all things golf, including architecture.  Glad to see that the impression was at least somewhat educated!

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »
Played Ocala Golf Club yesterday and had a great time. Liked the layout and was in very playable shape.
Being a Muni, I was little concerned that it might take 6 hours, but we played in under 4 hours- walking.
I was so excited that the game is alive and well . The course was packed , the range was packed and it was very inexpensive.
There were players off all ages and skills..

It actually made me excited that there are places that are thriving. Felt kinda electric.

If I could break what I love about the game into 2 different things.
1) I love seeing a bunch or people working on their games and young people learning the game
2) I love the feeling of a private golf club- where you have the course to yourself.

2 totally different perspectives - but the first one was definitely seen yesterday at Ocala
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:53:25 AM by Rob Curtiss »

Daniel Jones

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 09:47:34 PM »

Jon, next Dec you are in!  Might have to do a small walking event at OGC and then swing down and play Streamsong the next day!

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but you guys need a 4th? I live a 7-iron from OGC (or Muni as we call it) and grew up on its fairways. Still play there about once a week and agree its pretty great. ;D

BCowan

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 10:00:25 PM »

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but you guys need a 4th? I live a 7-iron from OGC (or Muni as we call it) and grew up on its fairways. Still play there about once a week and agree its pretty great. ;D

Thanks for digging this up.  It is 12 degs right now in Michigan.  I can't tell you how obsessed I am with that course when I go down to Florida.  Trying to set a walking event there in Jan.  If I get down there I will send you a message.  So jealous you live a 7 iron away, especially this time a year.   :'( :'(

Daniel Jones

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 08:39:21 AM »
Sounds good, hope you make it down. Would love to walk the course with someone that's as obsessed with it as I am! :D

Rees Milikin

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 08:52:01 AM »
Sounds good, hope you make it down. Would love to walk the course with someone that's as obsessed with it as I am! :D

I am down to meet up.  I live in Orlando and really enjoyed my round there.

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »
Played Ocala Golf Club yesterday and had a great time. Liked the layout and was in very playable shape.
Being a Muni, I was little concerned that it might take 6 hours, but we played in under 4 hours- walking.
I was so excited that the game is alive and well . The course was packed , the range was packed and it was very inexpensive.
There were players off all ages and skills..

It actually made me excited that there are places that are thriving. Felt kinda electric.

If I could break what I love about the game into 2 different things.
1) I love seeing a bunch or people working on their games and young people learning the game
2) I love the feeling of a private golf club- where you have the course to yourself.

2 totally different perspectives - but the first one was definitely seen yesterday at Ocala

Pictures don't do it justice-excellent
Place was packed-we waited every shot-but that just gave me a chance to take a good look around.
After looking out across the course and seeing carts absolutely everywhere on the compact layout, it hit me that we have really ffffd up this game.
I'm not a cart hater, but I have to say it seemed ridiculous seeing everybody riding around and waiting in their cart-even worse not prepping for their shot until the cart drove them to their ball.
If they were walking, they wouldn't be waiting.
When I asked the guy if I could walk he politely said "why, the cart's included"
There was noticeable cart wear and compaction on the otherwise well conditioned fairways and roughs.

Good course with an interesting mix of holes and excellent elevation change. Short on the card, but not really short in practice. Hit driver off every tee but one.Interesting mix of par 3's. Much more width than the pictures convey
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:47:21 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Daniel Jones

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 03:34:32 PM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed it, and thanks for the kind words about a course near and dear to me. I agree with your point on the number of riders. When I was a kid, walking was much more prevalent on the course, but I'd imagine that can be said for a lot of places. I've often stood on the 4th green where you can see a significant portion of the course and noticed I am the only walker in sight.

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 09:23:31 PM »
Played a different course today.
highlight was basketball court in locker room.
will get back on track tomorrow ::) ::)
My Director of Instruction played Deltona-said it was in very good shape (concern of other thread)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Daniel Jones

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 04:25:04 PM »
After splitting in half last year, and plaguing me for most of my life, it appears that the giant oak tree short and right of the par-5 4th green has met its end. At the sight of her limbless stump, I doffed my cap in tribute to the grand dame and in remembrance of the countless strokes she pried from my grip, never to return. That moment of melancholy was short lived, as my mind danced with what this meant for the new 4th hole.

Could it be that after a lifetime of losing stroke after stroke to that dreaded tree, perhaps now I could actually begin to claim them back?

Like the moment of sadness that came before it, this euphoric optimism was short lived. I watched yesterday in horror as a truck arrived with a new tree in tow. Worse still...it seems there are plans to leave this enormous stump, for what purpose I couldn't possibly begin to imagine.

Perhaps the old gal isn't through with me yet...

The tree a few weeks ago from 4th fairway.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:36:28 PM by Daniel Jones »

Daniel Jones

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:35:37 PM by Daniel Jones »

Rees Milikin

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
Why in the world would they need to replace it and leave a stump...i'm stumped

Daniel Jones

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
That makes two of us, Rees. Which is where the tale of the tree gets even stranger. According to the clubhouse staff, they're weighing the option of...wait for it...carving the golfer in the logo into the stump.

I guess in 50 years the 4th might actually look like the logo...

BCowan

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »
Daniel,

Carving that in would look cool in a cheesy way.  

I played with some local seniors there about 4 or 5 years ago and they went to the city building to make sure the big tree on 18, 60 yards or so short of the green on the right remained standing.  I remained silent.  I'm always behind the trees to the left on #9.  
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 04:59:52 PM by BCowan »

Daniel Jones

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 05:12:00 PM »
My history with the one on #9 is even more strained than the one on #4, but I tend to give that one a pass because I think that tree was around before the Revolution. As for #18...you won't get any disagreement from me!  The one behind it right at the bend is the one I truly hate. This was last night...

Rees Milikin

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »
That tree on 18 needs a lightning bolt to finish it off.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back