News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Re: 4th Annual Saul Shootout for The George Cup
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »
After three days of wonderful golf and the ride home yesterday I am still in shock. I thank Wade and Lester for putting it all together and of course Tommy for his kind gesture with the membership. The staff was wonderful towards all of us and it was a great weekend. it was also great meeting all of the GCA guys.

Ballyhack played really well and the architecture really shined. The gunch was more forgiving than my previous trip last year and while still challenging I think it allowed my focus to be more on what is between the gunch-lines instead of just trying to keep it in between the lines. I am looking forward to making it down as often as my schedule allows. I really want to introducing some guys to the course and club.

Neil Johnston

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »
I second the thoughts of Lyndell and Jim. The course was a blast to play, and conditions couldn't have been any better. Wade's organization and planning made the event really shine. I hope to return to Ballyhack and figure out how to play a few of those holes.

Lastly, the now former George Cup champion Kevin Lynch handing out the bro hugs nicely punctuated the weekend.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 10:58:03 AM »
Congratulations to Tommy. Other than last year's aberration ( ;D), he joins quite a select and talented club.

So how is my new best friend Jim Sherma?  ;)

Details, details!  Best shots, worst shots, photos?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Jim Sherma

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
Playing two rounds with Kevin was the true "experience like no other". The Lynch-Mallard match on Sunday was one for the ages with the 13th through 15th something that you could only watch and shake your head in disbelief over.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
Congratulations to Tommy Williamsen for winning the George Cup in this weekend's fourth annual Saul Shootout.  Tommy blew away the field and gladly accepted the Cup, a Ballyhack pinflag, and a signed book from Lester George.

As many of you know, this year's winner also received a one-year membership to Ballyhack Golf Club, which Tommy graciously transferred to our second place finisher, Jim Sherma.  As a current national member, Tommy wanted someone else to experience the pleasure of the club; his gesture will be remembered for quite some time (particularly, I know, by Jim!).

This is so cool.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
Playing two rounds with Kevin was the true "experience like no other". The Lynch-Mallard match on Sunday was one for the ages with the 13th through 15th something that you could only watch and shake your head in disbelief over.

Before responding to the well earned comment about our singles match, I want to take this opportunity to publicly thank Wade Whitehead, Lester George, Jonathan Ireland, Aaron Dudley and the rest of the Ballyhack staff that to a person made us all feel most welcome at their club. This was my second George Cup, and I hope to be a participant in future events.

As for the 6 hole singles match with Kevin Lynch, it started out on the par 3 thirteenth hole with what could fairly described well earned three-putt from the right of the fifteenth pin defeating a regulation tee shot about 30 feet below the hole. It deteriorated quickly from there.

One of the things I enjoy most about these events is the renewal of old friendships, the telling of tales and (mis)adventures, the beginning of new friendships, and the creation of new stories to share and enjoy.

Thanks to everyone for a truly enjoyable weekend.

Jonathan

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
Any mention of the Lynch photo album of the Tour de Cup?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JBovay

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 09:03:31 PM »
I'd like to echo the thoughts of everyone else who's already posted. My Dad and I had a great time getting to know you guys and experience Ballyhack. Congratulations to Tommy and Jim both!

Wade, thanks very much for all your hard work planning and for the creative and fun event format. I especially liked the format for the morning round, of course ;) but hope to get my driver going straight and my handicap down, and be less of a contender next year. Wish we had been able to make the Sunday match, too.

Aaron and the rest of the staff were very welcoming. Billy Bobbitt and the goats had the place in perfect condition: the greens were fast enough to keep us all on our toes, but just slow enough that nothing got silly, even on the most contoured greens like 3, 5, 9, 13, 14, and 15. And with regard to the goats and Jim Sherma's earlier comment: I hit plenty of balls into the thick stuff, but rarely lost one if I could get a line on it (and often found it, even if I couldn't see it down). Just nasty enough to penalize a poorly executed shot and make one try hard to avoid it, but not an automatic lost ball by any stretch.

Finally, I'd like to express my appreciation for Lester's work. I'm pretty familiar with the area around Roanoke, but I couldn't believe the severity of some of the property, particularly on the front nine, and came home so impressed with Lester's vision and his ability to pull it off. I've been thinking about what Carl said in the other thread (sorry, Carl, I think you were the only guy I failed to shake hands with) about Ballyhack being a difficult property. I think it would have been a difficult property on which to build an easy, or even a conventional, golf course. It demands something thrilling, whether it's the three clifftop par 5s or the drives over the ravines or the multiple-option holes or the "Cape", which looks like a straight hole until you see your ball bouncing down the fairway toward the creek... Look at the 11th, for another example of how Lester took advantage of the landscape presented rather than fighting it. To build a hole on such a severe slope takes courage, and by NOT leveling the playing ground he was able to create a memorable hole and also use less real estate/irrigation water than otherwise might be necessary to achieve a hole with similar scoring and strategy characteristics. Or the 13th, with its awesome green and setting that reminded me of a bigger version of the 18th at Pasatiempo. Instead of benching the green into the hillside, he let the green's contours approximate its surrounds. (I feel a bit like I did in college when writing a literary critique of an author I would later meet, so I hope Lester will correct me if I have any ideas wrong here.)

Thanks again, guys,
JB

Scott Weersing

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2014, 07:47:57 AM »

Kevin saved the best photo for last as he gave us a photo of Kevin, the George Cup, and GCA favorite.......

Tom Doak.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »
Just like the Super Bowl and the Olympics, George Cup IV was more than worthy of its Roman numerals and has quickly become GCA's most fun (and zaniest) competition.  What other event includes a (usually) decisive quiz with questions involving quotes from Sir Nick Faldo and the bassist of 80s rock band Styx (both Ballyhack members) as well as one about the number of golf balls lost during the 2013 event by its champion, Kevin Lynch (an incredible 27)?

A tip of the cap to Wade, Lester George, Jonathan Ireland and the rest of the Ballyhack team.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2014, 09:39:34 AM »
Andy,

I believe it's the former bassist of REM who's a member of Ballyhack.  That was one of the few Quiz questions I got right.

Thanks to those, especially Lester and Wade, who made the Shootout possible--what a terrific event.

Ballyhack is quite a course--dramatic, heroic, but strategic.  One of the things that most impressed me is there are no weak holes.  In different hands, I could imagine the land yielding some great holes but also some head scratchers--that's not the case at all.  Every hole is at least good and several are world class. 

J Sadowsky

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »
Congratulations to Tommy Williamsen for winning the George Cup in this weekend's fourth annual Saul Shootout.  Tommy blew away the field and gladly accepted the Cup, a Ballyhack pinflag, and a signed book from Lester George.

As many of you know, this year's winner also received a one-year membership to Ballyhack Golf Club, which Tommy graciously transferred to our second place finisher, Jim Sherma.  As a current national member, Tommy wanted someone else to experience the pleasure of the club; his gesture will be remembered for quite some time (particularly, I know, by Jim!).

This is so cool.

I would like to point out that second place at the Second Saul Shootout got bupkis.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 01:20:10 PM »

Kevin saved the best photo for last as he gave us a photo of Kevin, the George Cup, and GCA favorite.......

Tom Doak.

Ay, laddie. You might be wondering who took the photo...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Carl Rogers

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2014, 06:45:16 PM »
Yes, an amazing event and the course is nothing less than spectacular.  Thank you Wade, Aaron & Jonathan for a great time.
We need a best of the quiz questions.  The one about the number of balls found in re-worked bunker is a classic for the ages.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Andy Shulman

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 03:43:53 AM »
Well, Tim, now you know why I flunked the quiz and finished as an also ran!

As for the course, it was in great condition and i agree with Tim's take that there's not a bad hole on the course.  What makes Ballyhack so much fun is the many shots that are thrilling every time you face them - including right out of the gate with the tee shot over a chasm on #1 - yet more than achievable for the mid-handicapper from the proper set of tees.  And, the wild contours in many of the greens make two-putts a challenge for any level of player.  Raise your hand if you didn't three putt at least once from inside 15 feet.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »

Tom Doak.

It took every ounce of restraint I had not to tip my hand that I had one more pretty decent photo opportunity with the Cup.  Thanks to Ron Montesano for facilitating the meeting and to Tom for taking part.  Maybe someday a Renaissance Cup Champ will have a Photo Opp with Lester:

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »

You had the full experience, Jim!  All the way from believing my 9.1 Index was the biggest Sandbag Job in the GCA World on Friday to thinking 9.1 was a classic Vanity exercise by Sunday.   :o  Welcome to my high-beta brand of golf.

I will forever remember our classic duel, Jonathan.  Not often can you bounce back from losing a hole you hit in regulation to winning one hitting five from the tee.  But we did finish with pars on the last 3 holes, so I like our resilience.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »
I bumped this thread because I am debating starting a thread about Ballyhack, the course, the experience of playing it, the visuals, etc.  Wade & staff have been such gracious hosts I am wondering if it can be done.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »
Kevin, playing with you is an experience. You can make two triples in a row, and follow it up with two birdies.  It's exhausting to watch.  Can't imagine what it's like inside your head.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Pitner

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 10:33:40 AM »
Kevin, playing with you is an experience. You can make two triples in a row, and follow it up with two birdies.  It's exhausting to watch.  Can't imagine what it's like inside your head.

Tommy, I thought that was just life as a mid-handicapper--I'm quite familar with it. 

Carl, have at it.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »
Trust me - you don't want to experience it.

When you get to the top of your backswing and your swing thought is "will this be a cold top?" - it forever changes your approach to the game.  When I can put those thoughts aside, it can be fun to ride along, but the potential downside is frightening.  That's why you see me just enjoying everything for what it is, because it's all fleeting.

It takes a very special person to partner with me in alternate shot.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »
I bumped this thread because I am debating starting a thread about Ballyhack, the course, the experience of playing it, the visuals, etc.  Wade & staff have been such gracious hosts I am wondering if it can be done.

Carl -

I think it would be a great course to discuss and would gladly take part.

For me, the variety and memorability of the holes in on par with any course I have ever played.  Usually when I play a course, there are one or two holes that it takes me some time to recall (even if its 5 or 10 seconds).   In some cases, it's due to similarity to other holes on the course or that I've seen, and in other cases, it's because the siting or routing is non-descript.  For Ballyhack, I had instant recall of every hole from the very first play.  Each hole is so different that it's not possible for them to muddle together. 

You have short holes, long holes, medium holes, dramatically uphill holes, dramatically downhill holes, straight holes, severe dogleg holes, ground game holes, aerial holes and none of them are even remotely similar, and most are unlike anything I've seen elsewhere.   Every hole elicits an emotion, even if some are tinged with controversy. 

Carl Rogers

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 05:06:36 PM »
Finally, I'd like to express my appreciation for Lester's work. I'm pretty familiar with the area around Roanoke, but I couldn't believe the severity of some of the property, particularly on the front nine, and came home so impressed with Lester's vision and his ability to pull it off. I've been thinking about what Carl said in the other thread (sorry, Carl, I think you were the only guy I failed to shake hands with) about Ballyhack being a difficult property. I think it would have been a difficult property on which to build an easy, or even a conventional, golf course. It demands something thrilling, whether it's the three clifftop par 5s or the drives over the ravines or the multiple-option holes or the "Cape", which looks like a straight hole until you see your ball bouncing down the fairway toward the creek... Look at the 11th, for another example of how Lester took advantage of the landscape presented rather than fighting it. To build a hole on such a severe slope takes courage, and by NOT leveling the playing ground he was able to create a memorable hole and also use less real estate/irrigation water than otherwise might be necessary to achieve a hole with similar scoring and strategy characteristics. Or the 13th, with its awesome green and setting that reminded me of a bigger version of the 18th at Pasatiempo. Instead of benching the green into the hillside, he let the green's contours approximate its surrounds. (I feel a bit like I did in college when writing a literary critique of an author I would later meet, so I hope Lester will correct me if I have any ideas wrong here.)

Thanks again, guys,
JB
I think I used the word "challenging" to characterize the site.

I need to take some time to think about the Ballyhack evaluation thread.....

Lester George

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »
Thanks to all who have chimed-in on the George Cup and the work done to create it.  Although many of you credit Wade and me for the effort, the accolades belong strictly to Wade.  This event was his creation and even though Jonathan, Aaron and I do everything we can to support it, Wade is the guy who makes it all happen.

I am flattered by the remarks and humbled by the gratitude.  Thank you all for coming and especially thanks to Tommy for such a gracious gesture.  I know Jim will use the membership and we will enjoy having him and his many guests. 

We will continue to support and build this event.  Now that Lynch has brought Tom Doak into the discussion, this would be a good time for me to ask Tom if the Renaissance Cup Champion will be receiving a membership from now on?  Tom, consider it a challenge........

Lester

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 06:36:23 PM »

We will continue to support and build this event.  Now that Lynch has brought Tom Doak into the discussion, this would be a good time for me to ask Tom if the Renaissance Cup Champion will be receiving a membership from now on?  Tom, consider it a challenge........

Lester

The first thing Tom asked was "shouldn't Lester have the George Cup?"

In my mind, Lord Stanley isn't carrying around Hockey's Holy Grail, and I did my part to give the George Cup an adventure in the last 12 months.  When I saw Jared Stoll using the Stanley Cup as a ball marker, I knew he must have been taking his cues from us.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back