News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

4th Annual Saul Shootout for The George Cup
« on: February 13, 2014, 05:38:32 PM »
GCAers:

You are cordially invited to participate in the fourth annual Saul Shootout for The George Cup at Ballyhack Golf Club just outside Roanoke, Virginia.

This year's formal competition will take place on Saturday, October 4.  Like previous years, players will complete twenty-seven holes followed by dinner and The Quiz.  I will share format details closer to the date, but expect a reprise of the wildly popular/convoluted method I've used in the past.  As in past years, Saul Shootout participants may add play on Friday, October 3 and/or Sunday, October 5 and are invited to stay and eat on-site at Ballyhack.  On-site lodging is limited, and I plan on an event of 20 or fewer players.

2013 Champion Kevin Lynch surely plans to repeat and will, I know, welcome all challengers.

As you may have heard, Ballyhack was recently selected to host the 2014 Virginia State Open in July.  The club's reputation for service, excellent accommodations, and world-class golf continues to build and reflects the tremendous efforts placed by staff.  It will be a treat to welcome you to my favorite golf course in the world and to play a fast and firm game across a truly strategic routing.

Exact cost is to be determined but shouldn't be much more than previous years.  While preference will be given to past supporters of the event, I welcome any GCAer interested in attending.

If interested, please message me.  I'm also glad to answer any questions you have.

Thanks for your interest.

WW
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:57:12 PM by Wade Whitehead »

Tommy Williamsen

Re: 4th Annual Saul Shootout for The George Cup @ Ballyhack Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
Wade, I'm in.  I will be retired so I can be present the whole weekend!!
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »
I am hoping at some point to get wider play at Ballyhack by those who participate on this site.  I am curious how the course would be received.  This fall will be my 3rd Saul Shootout and I really look forward to it.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Scott Weersing

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »

I am looking forward to the event! There is nothing else like it.

For photos of Ballyhack, see here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52757.25.html

Jason Thurman

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 11:24:29 AM »
I am hoping at some point to get wider play at Ballyhack by those who participate on this site.  I am curious how the course would be received.  This fall will be my 3rd Saul Shootout and I really look forward to it.

I don't think I'll be able to attend The George Cup, but I do plan to stop at Ballyhack on the way to a wedding south of DC this spring. It looks like an awesome course and I'd encourage anyone who can attend to do so, based on my experience that GCA events at destination clubs are about as much fun as golf gets.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Ballyhack is a neat course that will test every part of your game. Great visually and I am interested in heading down for another crack at it.

Wade - I sent an IM.

Lyndell Young

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:43:39 PM »
Wade, I'm in for your event at Ballyhack. pictures are stunning that I have seen,is it as difficult as it looks. Thanks

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
Wade, I'm in for your event at Ballyhack. pictures are stunning that I have seen,is it as difficult as it looks. Thanks

Ballyhack has a very high slope and the first time it is played can be very difficult because the elevation changes make pulling the right stick difficult.  After you figure out distances and get a feel as to where to hit it off the tee, you can score.  It just takes a couple of plays.  It is great course and a great club.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 03:27:12 PM »
Gents:

Ballyhack reveals itself through repeated play.  There are so many options and it's a much wider place than many perceive on first glance.

I have fifteen RSVPs at present (assuming Jason Jones, who's a current maybe).  We're offering a very special prize for our winner this year, and the event should be the best yet.

WW

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
Give us an update Wade. Are we full. If not , lets get this event filled up.  Looks like a fantastic place

Keith Grande

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 04:04:42 PM »
That first tee looks frightening....what's the carry over the gulch?  What is slope/rating?

JC Jones

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
It's a great event at a great course.  I'm hoping to make it again this year if only to trash talk my man Kevin.

I usually hit hybrid or 5 metal off the first tee, it's not a huge carry.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 11:15:04 PM »
It's a great event at a great course.  I'm hoping to make it again this year if only to trash talk my man Kevin.

I usually hit hybrid or 5 metal off the first tee, it's not a huge carry.

It wouldn't be the same without the trash-talking!  But I'll be trying to help my man Chris DeNigris out of his George Cup slump.

Keith -1st tee is mostly visual intimidation, not a bad carry at all, especially from the middle tees.  Even from the absolute tips, it's not bad (perhaps 230?).  One year, Wade took us all the way back for a round, when it dawned on him I was playing my hickories that day.  But when it landed, the celebration was on!

Actually, the scary part of #1 is the false front on the green.  It's not unusual to hit #1 green 2-3 times in one round. 

A very common conversation on #1:
"Nice shot"
"Did it stay up?"
"Yep, I think you're OK"
....3 seconds later
"Nope, here it comes"

After recovery chip attempt:
"Get up...please.....stay...."
"Don't move -it's coming back to you"

.....roughly 4 hours later:
"Yep, got Ballyhacked on #1"

It's not over-the-top and completely fair, but exposes any timidity in approaches or recoveries.

Keith Grande

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 11:25:38 PM »
Looks great, I'd consider driving down, but my club championship finale is that weekend.

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »
Bumping this thread for this great event.  I just realized that it will be the same weekend of the Mashie.  I will have to resign my captaincy of the East squad for the Mashie as I am committed to the George Cup. 

How lucky we are as GCAers to have these two opportunities this Fall.

I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
Gents:

Working on a few details for the George Cup and will be sending mail to the field in the next couple of weeks.

As you may have heard, the State Open of Virginia is coming to Ballyhack in July.  That the event moved from Richmond was quite a coup and there's quite a buzz about what the winning 54-hole score might be.  Lots going on to prepare, and there seem to be players visiting every couple of days for practice rounds.  See http://vsga.org/state-open/ for more.

Of course, the State Open is the second biggest event being waged on the old Saul dairy property this year...

More soon.

WW

PS Keith, the first fairway, like many features at Ballyhack, lies on a diagonal.  The carry to the right side is significantly easier than the left, especially from the angle presented by the back tee.  From the second tee, the carry is less than 200 yards; from the middle tee, which lots of folks play, it's more like 160.  We'll play from a variety of spots (including both of those) in the George Cup.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 11:42:36 PM »
I was at Ballyhack this past week.  The course is just stunning and the conditions are excellent.  The greens are as good as I've seem them. It will be interesting to see how the course is set up for the VA Open.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 03:11:17 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

Keith Grande

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 12:22:02 AM »
Thanks for providing more color.  The diagonal approach to the fairway was not evident from the picture offered on the website.  Plenty of playing options offered, as well as interesting topography. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
Email sent to the field tonight.  Please read and respond accordingly.

If you are interested in attending and did not receive tonight's email, please advise.

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to a great event.

WW

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 10:48:56 PM »
Additional email sent to field tonight, including confirmation of arrival and departure days.

If you have contacted me with interest but do not receive the message, please advise.

On-site lodging is full but a convenient off-site option is available.  Field is currently 21 players with an anticipated cap of 24.  Interested parties, feel free to contact me.

Thanks very much.

WW

Andy Hughes

Re: 4th Annual Saul Shootout for The George Cup
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »
*sigh*

:'(
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

J Sadowsky

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »
At some point my kids (well, kids come August), will be old enough for me to come back.  Until then, at least I fixed my grip this summer.

Enjoy - it's a beauty.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »
Gents:

Email (with pairings, format, details, directions, suggestions, etc). has been sent to the field.

Let me know if you have questions.

Looking forward to a great event.

WW

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 08:36:32 PM »
Congratulations to Tommy Williamsen for winning the George Cup in this weekend's fourth annual Saul Shootout.  Tommy blew away the field and gladly accepted the Cup, a Ballyhack pinflag, and a signed book from Lester George.

As many of you know, this year's winner also received a one-year membership to Ballyhack Golf Club, which Tommy graciously transferred to our second place finisher, Jim Sherma.  As a current national member, Tommy wanted someone else to experience the pleasure of the club; his gesture will be remembered for quite some time (particularly, I know, by Jim!).

Weather was incredible and playing conditions were superb.  Ballyhack presented a great test and it was a pleasure to host all twenty entrants.

Thanks to everyone who made the trip.

Wade

Lyndell Young

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 09:07:39 PM »
Wade let be the first to thank you for a fine event. Ballyhack was exceptional, I'm sure all came away with a sense of gratitude for all your work in organizing the Saul Shootout. Thanks also to all my new golf friends for a fun weekend, I look forward to our next meeting. Sincerely Lyndell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back