News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Joel_Stewart

Re: Trump buys Doonbeg
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »
Arguably his best purchase.  Another article I read said the purchase price was $15 million which seems like a steal.

Every course that he has purchased he has made some modifications to regarding the architecture.  Would he use Greg Norman, Gil Hanse or another architect? 

Paul Jones

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »
I wonder if he would use Martin Hawktree?
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
Arguably his best purchase.  Another article I read said the purchase price was $15 million which seems like a steal.

Every course that he has purchased he has made some modifications to regarding the architecture.  Would he use Greg Norman, Gil Hanse or another architect?  

I'd say his purchase of Bedminster for next to nothing and the assumption of the construction loan was easily his best from both profit and architectural perspectives.

I'd venture a guess he has Gil take a look at Doonbeg but does very little to change it any time soon.

Lets open the floor to the Trump haters who would prefer the property go fallow or into the hands of a lesser operator. I'm sure they think his value to the game remains purely negative ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:04:09 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
Arguably his best purchase.  Another article I read said the purchase price was $15 million which seems like a steal.

Every course that he has purchased he has made some modifications to regarding the architecture.  Would he use Greg Norman, Gil Hanse or another architect? 

I'd say his purchase of Bedminster for next to nothing and the assumption of the construction loan was easily his best from both profit and architectural perspectives.

I'd venture a guess he has Gill take a look at Doonbeg but does very little to change it any time soon.

Lets open the floor to the Trump haters who would prefer the property go fallow or into the hands of a lesser operator. I'm sure they think his value to the game remains purely negative ;)

I see this as a good thing.
Needs deep pockets and my guess is he will improve the course
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris Johnston

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »
A great thing for the long term employees and region.  Doonbeg is an important source of area jobs.

Joe Russell and his crew do a fine job, and the Trump folks are lucky to have them.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »

I'd venture a guess he has Gill take a look at Doonbeg but does very little to change it any time soon.

They had some serious damage there last month so I think they may have to do some fairly serious work.  Unfortunately they are handcuffed with regulations unlike some of the other courses.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/doonbeg-and-rosses-point-golf-clubs-feel-the-brunt-of-recent-atlantic-storms-1.1647519

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 03:18:19 PM »
Another article I read said the purchase price was $15 million which seems like a steal.

$15 million seems like a steal?  For the buyer?  There are not many golf courses in Ireland that could ever recoup such an investment.  Doonbeg might work, because it is located right between two of them, but it's certainly not a slam dunk.  But I guess it's much easier when $15 million is a small investment to you.

Steve Green

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »
Stories are putting the price at 15 million Euros with a repair bill for the storm damage at 1 million Euros.  That makes it about $20 million to buy the course and another $1.5 million immediately for repairs.

Greens fees will be going up. 
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »
Doesn't the $15M include the hotel too? 

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 03:31:59 PM »
Don't sell this Trump guy short.  So often the combination a good architect with the right owner/developer/financier has created great careers for the architect and great developments for the owner/developer/financier.  I'm betting Gil Hanse and Donald Trump become a long-term team or maybe someone else on the Hanse Team if Gil has to much other to do....but I would think Trump would be a good one to latch on to.  
This Blue Monster is going to get more press than people realize.  JMO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jim Sherma

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 03:36:25 PM »
With the portfolio that Trump is putting together the "success" of any one property will very well be dependent on the value added to the entire operation and not just the individual property's P&L statement. A time-share type of deal at the various Trump golf properties is becoming very desirable. A summer week centered between Doonbeg and the Scotland course, February getaway to Doral, spring and fall between the new course in NYC and Bedminster and Pine Hill in New Jersey. Add in a great location even if not a great course out in LA. I feel I am missing some. Writing one check a year for that type of access could be a winner.  

Greg Gilson

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 03:42:42 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if he can break the "third owner rule"?

John Percival

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »
Is he going to take on the 'environmental area' restriction?
Those dunes are magnificent!

Jack_Marr

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 04:46:20 PM »

I believe the snail population in the protected dunes has risen significantly. I'm not sure this changes anything. How many extra acres are there, does anyone know?
John Marr(inan)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 04:53:45 PM »
Is he going to take on the 'environmental area' restriction? Those dunes are magnificent!
Just what I was thinking when I looked at a Doonbeg site map. Is there a Micael Forbes resident nearby?
atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »

This was my first thought.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't test the water.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 05:11:14 PM »
Is causing this kind of stir part of his strategy, generally? If so, you can be sure he'll test the water.
John Marr(inan)

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
I was there 2 years ago and the Mini Village at Doonbeg felt very out of place, especially for the location in Ireland.  The cost of accommodations were also exponentially higher than the usual digs in the local towns.  Any you can't recreate the local Irish pubs when the local town folk aren't drinking there.  The course, save a few holes, was uninspiring when placed between the likes of Ballybunion and Lahinch.  Most of the great terrain at Doonbeg has been left to the snails as noted earlier.  I wish him luck.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 03:48:12 AM »
Joel I'm with Tom here and my first thought was wow he's paying a big premium. The cost of the development is irrelevant to the new buyer, a £20m course sold near me a couple of years ago for £375k for the land, they'd already sold the clubhouse as a dwelling and there is no space for a new one.
Cave Nil Vino

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 06:18:46 AM »
It'll be interesting to see if he can break the "third owner rule"?
Its not a rule if you do it properly Greg.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 06:23:51 AM »
€15M must largely equal the hotel value, course value would be worth nearer zero.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Martin Toal

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 06:26:47 AM »
It is good that Doonbeg has been bought by someone with a clear love for the game, and hopefully he will restrain himself from the introduction of too many waterfalls or other vulgarities.

Trump clearly has some very good golf in his portfolio, anyone who has played Trump National LA, then read his comments that it is better than Pebble Beach has to be forgiven for wondering if any given utterance is true or complete bullshit.

I do hope he does not call it Trump Ireland, although I guess that is inevitable.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 06:30:50 AM »
I think the Trump Ireland moniker is inevitable...

Out of stubbornness, I will keep on calling it Doonbeg (and call Trump Scotland, Balmedie) just as the Aviva will forever be Lansdowne Road...

The only other high end purchase of a golf resort in Ireland since the crash was Fota Island last year which went for €20m and will be hosting the 2014 Irish Open...

There have been a few lower grade purchases, usually in and around the €1m to €2m mark

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 06:35:04 AM »
Today's (London) Times reports that Trump lost his offshore windfarm case and is pulling out on his commitments to add a new course, new clubhouse, etc. to TIGLS.  He HAS renamed Doonbeg TIGLI, and will be focuusing his GBI development efforts there for the time being.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back