News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Post BUDA @ Burnham 14 Sept 2014 (Updated)
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »
Sean did I ever compliment you on your genial cheerfulness and good manners at all times?

County Card

and just to add 3 of us billeting at the Weston Supermare, Seafront, Premier Inn Sat evening.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
All

Bad news I am afraid.  My daughter is shipping off to university that day (all was settled this AM) so I can't play.  The tee times are still booked and I am still happy to keep things on track so one less guy shouldn't make much difference.  Sorry all, but thats life.  

You lot are now 13.  If folks like, I can ask permission for one group to play as a 4ball - that will make the spaces for 13 golfers (three 3balls and one 4ball).  That way, the 11:22 time can be cancelled. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:13:34 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 11:47:08 AM »
That's a great shame that you won't be along Sean. I hope the Uni arrangements go well.

BTW, what tee-times do we have for the Championship course?

atb

PS - anyone interested while at Burnham in also playing the fantastic 9-hole Channel course on the Sat evening or Sun evening let me know.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »
atb

Check the original post for details.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 12:01:06 PM »
Okay. Noted. County card for me.
atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
All

Bad news I am afraid.  My daughter is shipping off to university that day (all was settled this AM) so I can't play.  
Ciao

Congratulations she's just cleared another hurdle.

Just a word of warning.  That's one tough day that no one ever talks about.  It's like you've been growing a new limb for nearly 20 years just for the pleasure of self amputating to set it free.  Don't say you weren't warned about mixed feelings...

Give it a few weeks and it means more time for ...golf?

So it goes...

Hopefully see you about Christmas time.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »
I remember that day well.  Sean you will too if it's her first year out.
Geoff and I drove two cars to the Greg Norman shootout at Sherwood.  Afterward he got in his and drove north to the dorm in Goleta, I drove south back to Riviera to hit some balls.  Without saying anything, the assistant pro finally turned to me and said, "ah, we don't need the kid."  I guess my long face told it all.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Lou_Duran

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 06:32:18 PM »
I remember that day well.  Sean you will too if it's her first year out.
Geoff and I drove two cars to the Greg Norman shootout at Sherwood.  Afterward he got in his and drove north to the dorm in Goleta, I drove south back to Riviera to hit some balls.  Without saying anything, the assistant pro finally turned to me and said, "ah, we don't need the kid."  I guess my long face told it all.

I had a good friend who nearly lost it when he and his wife dropped off their oldest daughter at Texas A & M.  According to his wife, when they were leaving the youngest at college, also A & M, the poor man cried like a baby in the dorm embarrassing the family.  He was so inconsolable that his wife had to drive home to north Texas.

In contrast, among my happiest days were when our two kids graduated college and were off the payroll.  My wife and I had no similar issues when we dropped them both off at UT, five years apart- nor they with it (they still love UT).  In fact, our daughter was still in college when my wife decided she wanted to live elsewhere and we relocated to SoCal for three years (we did leave them our forwarding address).  Being empty nesters is no bad thing.

Tony Muldoon,

Can you give us some guidance on what we should pack?  Is the dress code casual?  Do we need to bring a jacket (blazer)?  A tie?

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 03:34:52 AM »
All

Once again, sorry for the bail out and kind words.  I am certainly not looking forward to the drop off day, but I am happy my daughter wants to leave home.  Must have done something right if she doesn't want to hang out with me for the next couple of years  :D

Back to Post Buda, for those who are on a different schedule to the main gang, it is possible for me to get a tee time for Saturday, 13 September, mid afternoonish (for those that need to drive).  I can only sign in one chap, but thats all it takes for a game.  Let me know.

Ciao

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 08:58:42 AM »
Gentlemen, I too am bailing out due to the deteriorating condition of my injured right knee.  Torn meniscus and bone damage was revealed by an MRI last week. I tried to hit balls yesterday and the pain is just getting worse.  Sorry to mess up the pairings.  Hopefully I'll be back next year with a new knee!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
Sorry that you're not doing well, Bill.  Maybe a new set of knees is all you need (an acquaintance told me of his friend who had both replaced and after an aggressive rehab program for six months, he was back on the course good as new).  Hope all works well.  Is Joe still going to make it?

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »
Bill

You will be missed.  Best wishes for a full recovery.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 02:47:13 PM »
Bill

Thanks Lynn.  Hoping it doesn't require a full knee replacement but whatever it takes!

Eric Strulowitz

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »
Bill

Thanks Lynn.  Hoping it doesn't require a full knee replacement but whatever it takes!

Hope you start feeling better soon Bill.  Rest that knee, as much as you love golf it can be tempting to push it.

Quite a few guys at my club have had knee replacements, and most were back a lot quicker than you think.  It is just a short hospital stay, some rehab, and you are back.  No one likes surgery, but the technology and materials they have with these new knees is just amazing.

If you don't make it to the Dixie Cup this year, you will be missed, and we will look forward to see you back on the links soon!

Steve Wilson

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »
I'm also going to have to bail on B & B as I have an opportunity to play Carnoustie and Panmure with a member early the next week.  At some point I have to take a break after the golfing blitz.

Sorry to hear about your knee, Bill,  hope it all works out with a minimal hiatus.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »
Sorry to hear about the knee Bill. Hope you get back playing and traveling soon. GCA.com needs its active golf tour guide.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I will know more after a meeting Wednesday with my new orthopedic surgeon. 

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Thanks everybody.  I will know more after a meeting Wednesday with my new orthopedic surgeon. 

I am confident he will recommend either acupuncture or massage.
               Tom Simpson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 09:59:57 PM »

I am confident he will recommend either acupuncture or massage.

Will that remove the broken glass from my kneecap?

Philip Gawith

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 06:59:45 AM »
Gents, I am afraid I am also going to withdraw from Sunday.

This is for two reasons - 1/ Sean's absence. I want to play B&B with its key sponsor (whose invites I have too often declined), and he is now out of action! 2/ I am playing on Saturday at Royal St George's and will not be away from there before 4.30pm. You would not in the normal course organise to play RSG and B&B in successive days - they could hardly be further apart -  and Sean's absence has tipped my decision over the edge.

I will be sorry not to see the rest of the crowd. Best wishes to all - I hope you are all golfing well in St Enodoc!

Philip

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 03:06:16 PM »
Well, it looks like you lot are down to 10 men.  If folks like, I can try to request two 3balls and one 4ball.   As it it now, it will have to be two 3balls and two 2balls.  It may be a bit slow for 2ball action as you lot follow a club match VS Porthcawl.  Let me know by tomorrow.

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »
Super day. 18-holes on the Championship course plus (for several) 9-holes on the Channel course as well. Shame you couldn't be along too Sean but many thanks for organising.
atb

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2014, 06:07:41 PM »
Burnham & Berry on a day that wasn't too windy.  It was delightful especially if you have Thomas guiding you.
Here is betting that Sean has never played the Channel course and discovered 3 of the best holes on the entire property, that last 3 on Channel.
               Tom Simpson

Sean_A

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »
Lynn

The Channel 8th is the best par 3 on the property and the 9th is exactly the sort of hole the Champ Course could do with.  I am also very partial to the 5th, a very fine flatish par 5.

I hope you lot had a fine time and once again, I apologize for my absence.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:23:28 PM by Sean_A »

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2014, 12:13:28 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for organizing this outing.  The course was wonderful for the most part with some brilliant and bold greens.  It was quite fun to play while also being challenging. A SSS of 72 for a par of 71 from the yellow tees speaks to the challenge.

The Channel course was fun too with Thomas guiding.  We had some fun with 80 yard bump and runs, and even putts from that distance. 

A picture of 5 happy and natty golfers on the aforesaid 9th green in the gloaming.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back