News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: Sand Valley first course architects
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »
Mike also went out of his way to talk with Jack Nicklaus and Tom Fazio so I'd not be surprised if they get a tract in the future.

I'd be pretty surprised.  If you read the article, it says Mike also talked to Nicklaus and Fazio, "for whom he has great respect."  It doesn't say who called whom.

Naturally, we're bummed we didn't get the nod for course #1 -- it's tough to keep losing out on jobs to the same guys, even if they are friends whom we totally respect.  We worked at Bandon and Barnbougle before them, and at Streamsong concurrently; I guess if we work in Wisconsin it will have to be after them, which would make for a different dynamic but could be fun.  I just hope there IS a second course, but it sounds very likely from my conversation with Mike a couple of weeks ago.

Very well thought out by Mike Keiser and it should be said that it seems only courteous if not fair to have C&C go first and a bit surprised that anyone could be bummed after such a great run.

Sounds like C&C only do a couple of courses per year, so they are far from hoarding all the jobs available.

Doak and C&C are similar yet different in design yet entirely different in personality.

No doubt, without Mike Keiser there would have been no Pacific Dunes etc....

Thank you Mike Keiser.

8)
It's all about the golf!

Jud_T

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »
Does that mean it's going to be mandatory carts? And does it mean that there will be designated cart path routes that have to be stuck to... or will the carts be allowed to roam... or travel through sandy waste areas?

I think there are a lot of great courses that allow carts and you wouldn't know the difference.

I really need to get myself to a Coore & Crenshaw course rather than just looking at photos on this site...

I'd be shocked if carts were mandatory or if it's cart paths only, except after a big rain.  It is a bit dissapointing if they're not growing fescue, which I'd think would be feasible that far north, but if you're talking about a lot of rounds and at least 50% carts it's probably a reasonable concession.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 01:34:14 PM »
Naturally, we're bummed we didn't get the nod for course #1 -- it's tough to keep losing out on jobs to the same guys, even if they are friends whom we totally respect.  

Very well thought out by Mike Keiser and it should be said that it seems only courteous if not fair to have C&C go first and a bit surprised that anyone could be bummed after such a great run.

Sounds like C&C only do a couple of courses per year, so they are far from hoarding all the jobs available.
[/quote]

William:

I've only interviewed for three jobs in the past year and a half.  Bill and Ben interviewed for two of them and were hired for both.  That's a bummer when you've got a crew full of talented people who require opportunities to show what they can do ...

Further, opportunities to build courses for Mr. Keiser are rare, and meaningful.

If I never built another golf course, I could look back on my career with no regrets ... but I think I've got a few more really good courses in me yet, and I hope I have the chance to let them out.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 04:44:48 PM »
Golfweek article on Sand Valley:

http://golfweek.com/news/2014/jan/09/sand-valley-mike-keiser-wisconsin-project/

Includes this paragraph that includes a few dates of upcoming course openings .... including the 2nd courses at SV and Bandon Links.

Keiser will be involved in openings of a new course for the next five years starting with Cabot Cliffs in 2015, Sand Valley in 2016, Bandon Links (the municipal course south of Bandon) in 2017, the second course at Sand Valley in 2018 and the second course at Bandon Links in 2019.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »
and to think it was all made possible because of stuff like this:

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Daryl David

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 05:01:17 PM »
From the article in the JournalSentinal:

Founding members pay $50,000 for what is essentially a lifetime membership that is fully refundable and can be passed down to an heir.

What exactly does a founding member receive in benefits?  I thought Sand Valley would be a public resort along the lines of Bandon.  

William_G

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 06:11:24 PM »
The joys of living in fly-over land, via Geoff Shackelford: "(I)t's tough to argue with any project he (Keiser) undertakes. Even one as remote as this."

I get Geoff's meaning, but to those of us living in the Twin Cities (not to mention Chicago), Bandon Dunes is remote. Streamsong is remote. Cabot Links is really remote.

Sand Valley will be a mere three-hour drive. And I'm excited.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:13:32 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jud_T

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
Rick,

Exactly.  There's probably more people within a 4 hour drive of this project than anything else he's been involved with.

William_G

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »
Rick,

Exactly.  There's probably more people within a 4 hour drive of this project than anything else he's been involved with.

and it's still remote, LOL
It's all about the golf!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
What's all this chatter about?  Tony Ristola already designed Sand Valley, based upon earlier threads.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
In the fall of 2012, (Keiser) sent business partner Josh Lesnik to scout the property. The president of KemperSports promised, "I'll try to make it something you are not interested in."

So much for that.

"I'm very sorry to tell you this," Lesnik told Keiser, "but you are going to love it."

-----

More details about the discovery of Sand Valley property in this Chicago Tribune article by Teddy:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/golf/ct-golf-sand-valley-spt-0110-20140110,0,1553202.story

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John McCarthy

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »
Howard:

THose of us who are not Tribune subscribers (and I have not since they let Maddux get away) run into a paywall.  

Here is how to get around it:

If you use Chrome, go to incognito mode (no cookies), then go to google news and punch in sand valley in the search.  First story up.  

I think firefox has the same sort of thing but I'm a Chrome man.  If you are using explorer, then I have no idea.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

William_G

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »
and to think it was all made possible because of stuff like this:

more like this kind of stuff, LOL

It's all about the golf!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
The joys of living in fly-over land, via Geoff Shackelford: "(I)t's tough to argue with any project he (Keiser) undertakes. Even one as remote as this."

I get Geoff's meaning, but to those of us living in the Twin Cities (not to mention Chicago), Bandon Dunes is remote. Streamsong is remote. Cabot Links is really remote.

I don't get Geoff's meaning ... but be that as it may:

Make your Sand Valley reservations now. This place is gonna be overrun.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Shane Wright

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 05:31:40 PM »

Rick, from our beloved state, Bandon is really remote, and Cabot Links is just remote  :) It probably takes 2-3 less hours from our doors in Minnesota to get to Cabot Links than Bandon

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JESII

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
Just please tell me it isn't Sand Valley because of it's appearance as a cross between Sand Hills and Pine Valley...please!!!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
Good news from these parts...

"Keiser briefly considered a collaboration of Coore, Crenshaw and Tom Doak for the first course at Sand Valley. At this point, Lesnik still says Doak is the front-runner to build the second course at Sand Valley. The third course could go to David McLay Kidd, who built the first course at Bandon Dunes."

http://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/updates-kohler-sand-valley-bandonstreamsong-14472.htm

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »
Just please tell me it isn't Sand Valley because of it's appearance as a cross between Sand Hills and Pine Valley...please!!!

Pine Hills was taken. :)
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jud_T

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »
For the inevitable GCA outing I hereby nominated the name "Cheese Curd Challenge"

Rees Milikin

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
For the inevitable GCA outing I hereby nominated the name "Cheese Curd Challenge"

Wouldn't Sausage Fest be more appropriate?

John McCarthy

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 06:23:06 PM »
It should incorporate the Wisconsin state motto somehow...what about The "Hold My Beer, Honey, and a Watch This" Invitational?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 07:01:13 PM »

Wouldn't Sausage Fest be more appropriate?

Point taken, but perhaps not sufficiently region specific.  How about Brat Boondoggle?

William_G

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
thank god it will be a walking golf place
It's all about the golf!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back