News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Met Open at Hollywood GC, Deal, NJ
« on: August 18, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »
Here is a nice video on the 106th Met Open to be played at Hollywood GC. It includes flyovers of a number of the holes. The course looks great.

http://www.mgagolf.org/video/102nd-met-open-championship-presented-callaway-preview

One correction to offer. The pro states that HGC hosted the second Met Open in 1906 and implies it was played on the current course in Deal. I believe the current Walter Travis course was built in 1917. Prior to that, HGC played on a Bendelow course in West Long Branch, NJ. That is likely where the 1906 Met Open was played.

And to offer one further piece of useless information, in watching David Feherty's interview with Jackie Burke, Jr., we learned that JB's first job as a club golf pro was at HGC, shortly after he was discharged from the Marine Corps post-WWII.   

Peter Pallotta

Re: Met Open at Hollywood GC, Deal, NJ
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 08:56:09 PM »
Thanks much, David - that's my first ever real look at Hollywood-Deal.
There must've been many posts about this other times, but does anyone know off hand who did the restoration on the course?
It does certainly have the overall classic 'feel' of what the course must've been like; I'd have no idea of specific changes/renovations/restorations, but it looks (and looks to play) just lovely.

Peter
Edit: I went to look up the answer on the Hollywood website. He does have the touch, you have to admit  :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:29:57 PM by Peter Pallotta »

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:48:24 PM »
Peter P. -

According to the Travis Society website, the bunker work was done in 2013 by Brian Schneider of Renaissance Golf.

https://travissociety.com/directory-of-travis-golf-course-projects/

I have a special interest in HGC as I grew up not too far from it and worked 4 summers for the tennis pro there 50-odd years ago.

DT

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 07:23:09 AM »
Yes, the most recent restoritive work there was by Brian Schneider of Renaissance. Renaissance was hired by several of the club's former stewards.....guys who were genuinely interested in seeing their Travis gem return to eminent playability as well as begin the process of shedding the layers of architectural malpractice done by Rees Jones a decade earlier.

Although the initial mandate was for bunker restoration, several greens were expanded a wee bit, a few other tweaks, and suggestions to the club's master-plan were made. Brian and his team, under the time pressure of readying the course for a US Seniors Women's Am, did a marvelous job. Today's HGC looks and plays so very much better than anytime over the last half-a-century. The Met Open should easily reflect that.

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ed Homsey

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 01:37:12 PM »
Credit for HGC's course should also be given to Isaac Mackie, who designed the original course on the property HGC acquired in 1911.  Mackie's course opened in 1913.  In Travis's 1917 redesign of the course, he used much of Mackie's routing.  Travis installed a massive number of unique, and in some instances, wild bunkers.  But, in my opinion, it's his greens that define the major challenge and interest of HGC's course.  It is my understanding that Brian Schneider is replacing the Rees Jones constructed 17th green with one that is closer in location and character to Travis's 17th.  Wonder if it is ready for the Met Open?

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »
"It is my understanding that Brian Schneider is replacing the Rees Jones constructed 17th green with one that is closer in location and character to Travis's 17th.  Wonder if it is ready for the Met Open?"

Ed H. -

My sources tell me no decision has been made yet to replace the 17th green.

DT

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »
Credit for HGC's course should also be given to Isaac Mackie, who designed the original course on the property HGC acquired in 1911.  Mackie's course opened in 1913.  In Travis's 1917 redesign of the course, he used much of Mackie's routing.  Travis installed a massive number of unique, and in some instances, wild bunkers.  But, in my opinion, it's his greens that define the major challenge and interest of HGC's course.  It is my understanding that Brian Schneider is replacing the Rees Jones constructed 17th green with one that is closer in location and character to Travis's 17th.  Wonder if it is ready for the Met Open?

No, we have not rebuilt the 17th green yet.  I played it the original the first time I saw the course, c. 1990, and have a photo from the tee, but I have not found the little diagram I drew of it.  And the club is unsure about restoring it ... we can't rebuild it exactly where it was, as it brought #18 tee and even #7 green into play, but we could surely build a similar green a few yards short of the original location.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
Thanks, Tom.  Appreciate that update.  Hopefully it'll happen some day.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 06:17:46 AM »
I went "Old School" Walter Travis style and took the ferry from Manhattan to Jersey to play Hollywood GC yesterday:

I have been a guest here for years and it was in fantastic shape after the Met Open. The club is VERY generous to guest and they have a strong tradition of hosting tournaments.

We ran into the Army Golf Team who were being hosted by a number of Hollywood members yesterday, and we did the obligatory Navy Dad with The Cadets picture at The 4th:

There is talk of hosting a future Army Navy match at Hollywood GC in similar style of Philly hosting the Army Navy football game.

The 19th Hole was on the ferry back to Manhattan:

Thanks Hollywood!

#GoNavyBeatArmy
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 07:47:20 AM »
Very cool, Mike!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Schackman

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »
I had the good fortune of playing Hollywood this past Sunday. The weather was awesome and the course was fantastic. I know the question is often asked about "which course could you play everyday?" and I think I can firmly say that place falls in that category.

First and foremost the greens are among the best/most fun I've played. And the course is not overrun with unnecessary water hazards or OB. The traps, which look fantastic, are penal but there are always alleys and options to avoid/play away from them. Haven't enjoyed a course that much in a while.

The caddie I had said he looped with the Army golf team a few weeks ago which made me think of this post. Mentioned they were impressive players.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:44:14 PM by Joe Schackman »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »
Those are some special greens at Hollywood.

Photos for those interested:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Hollywood/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
Those are some special greens at Hollywood.

Photos for those interested:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Hollywood/index.html

Joe,

Time for an update now that the grow-in has the course looking more brown and playing more firm. I did not take any pics yesterday as the day was too much fun.

I made a return trip to Hollywood yesterday, and Doak’s crew did a great job. The grow-in at Hollywood post-Doak work is really good. I have played it for 12+ years and yesterday was a huge leap as the conditioning was just awesome.

My updated view could in part be due to the fact that a couple of us played in a Travis Society outing at North Jersey CC the day before and it was a lesson in what NOT to do to your historic course. They have had 4-5 architects in there over the last decade or so and it was just inconsistent. Green speeds were too fast for the Travis greens, when there were Travis greens.

The Hollywood Super has done a great job with the grow in, and I almost want to go back and walk around to find SOMETHING wrong :) Between the grown-in, my game coming back a little, the weather, and the hospitality of the club and my host, Hollywood just vaulted past a bunch of famous/fancy NJ/NY clubs and courses. When I played it in August after The Met Open, my game stunk and the rough was playing hard, so my eyes were closed. Yesterday, was just perfect and yes, I think it deserves a discussion of “Doak 8” status. Certainly Tom Doak would take credit :)

Is there a better course in NJ or Westchester? Yes, there is Pine Valley and then there is Hollywood. Honestly, that was my feeling this morning and I probably need to see the more updated Sleepy Hollow. However, Travis greens are Travis greens.

In addition, the Club has set up a new Blue/White course that makes the course very fun to challenge and play. Two birdies for me during the round combined with doubles makes an interesting course. GCAer Bill Steele closed us out on 18 with a birdie to win the match before his drive back to Ohio. Sweeney and The Host took the ferry back to Manhattan, and there were some very angry faces when they saw us land on 34th Street with clubs and smiling faces :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:57:15 PM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »
I had a bowl of Manhattan Clam Chowder there that might be the appetizer for my execution meal. Worthy of a long car ride without the golf!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 08:13:28 PM »
I received a friendly message that Somersett Hills is in New Jersey, hmmmm  :D 8) ???

Steve Lapper

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »
I received a friendly message that Somersett Hills is in New Jersey, hmmmm  :D 8) ???

Ssssshhhhhhh....Don't tell anyone!!! 8) 8)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back