News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Baltusrol is the only one I can think of.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:59:25 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Mike Boehm

Re: What other
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »
Plum Hollow

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 06:33:50 PM »
Until recently Wentworth.
Cave Nil Vino

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »
Not a great, but one I grew up playing on in Ohio, Plum Brook CC in Sandusky, OH.  100 years old this year.

Pat Burke

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »
Victoria   Australia

Both nines when I played there ended with 2 par fives!

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:01 AM »
The highly regarded Brookside Country Club in Canton, Ohio has the double 5 finish.

Two doozies. 17 is one if my favorite greens on the course. All that's missing is the windmill.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 12:11:19 PM »
The Dunes course in Brooksville FL ended with back to back par 5's .

I know most dont see this as a great course - but for the area - before it had financial trouble - it was a really good course.

One of the best endings in golf in Florida that I have played.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »
The Olympic Lake has par-5's on #16 & #17.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
Baltusrol (Lower) and Victoria are the only two top-100 courses that end with two par-5's ... as far as I can remember.  The two par-5's are one of the main features of Baltusrol; at Victoria they are two of the weaker holes, really.

The Rawls Course at Texas Tech is a good course that ends with two par-5's.  Also, Desert Highlands.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 05:28:11 PM »
Is #18 at Cherry Hills still considered a par-five for members?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Tim_Weiman

Pat,

Ballybunion Old did at one point, but the revised clubhouse location changed that.
Tim Weiman

John Kirk

Waverly CC in Portland, Oregon ends with two nice par 5s, a short one and then a long one, on the shore of the Willamette River.

Jim_Coleman

Rolling Green.  Although 18 has been shortened to a par 4 from the championship tees only.  It had been a par 5 for 85 years.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »
Is #18 at Cherry Hills still considered a par-five for members?

I believe it is. That would make it qualify with 17 & 18 as par 5s.

Steve Okula

Not as a great course, but as an oddity, Penina in Portugal has par fives on 10, 11, 17, and 18.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

David Stamm

Victoria Club in Riverside, CA (Max Behr) ends with 2 par 5's. In fact, 14 and 15 are also par 5's, giving the course 4 par 5's out of the last 5 holes.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Joey Chase

Royal Birkdale ends in back to back 5's as well

Eric_Terhorst

Holston Hills, in the top 100 Golfweek Classic, ends with a shortish, downhill par 5 17th and the challenging uphill par 5 18th. 

520 - 541 from the back tees

494 -521 from the member tees

Duncan Cheslett

For the most part true, but the 18th becomes a long par 4 for The Open.

Joe Bausch

A solid course but I doubt many would classify it as great is Plymouth CC (Flynn) just outside of Philly.  Both 17 and 18 are decent holes, IMO, yet each could probably benefit with some bunkering in the fairways.

I happened to play there recently and compiled a new photo album:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/Plymouth/

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brent Hutto

For the most part true, but the 18th becomes a long par 4 for The Open.

I'm infamously out of touch when playing courses on vacation. Don't typically carry a scorecard or necessarily a Strokesaver.

The 18th at Birkdale played in a fair breeze and I played the first couple shots during the waning moments of a rain shower that had started back on the 16th tee. After I finished up with my three putts from the fringe for a 7 my feeling was that it was just way too hard a hole for me in the wind and rain. Then I noticed after the round it was a Par 5 so "only" a double-bogey. Which somehow made it seem less brutal, knowing that first putt from the fringe was for par!

Bill Seitz

Victoria Club in Riverside, CA (Max Behr) ends with 2 par 5's. In fact, 14 and 15 are also par 5's, giving the course 4 par 5's out of the last 5 holes.

Four par fives and three par threes in the last eight holes, with 11, 13, and 16 being par threes.  Weird stretch of holes on the card, but I enjoyed playing there when it was our home course during my senior year at UC Riverside.

Ed Homsey

Question was asked whether the 18th at Cherry Hill Club, in southern Ontario, is still a par 5 for members.  A resounding yes.  From the back tee, it is 554 yards, and reaching the green means little unless you are in the correct position relative to the pin.  A very tricky Travis green.  Ray Floyd could provide key insight into this particular green, from his experience at the 1972 Canadian Open held there.

Patrick_Mucci

The front nine at Forsgate ends with two par fives, causing me to wonder if the nines were ever reversed ?

David_Tepper

Duncan C. -

The ladies played 17 & 18 as par-5's in the Women's Open at Birkdale this summer.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back